Playfield post hole repair

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Been reading up on "several" ways to fix a stripped playfield hole. All are
straightforward but which one(s) have the longer lasting effects? Elmers &
sawdust? I want to be as less invasive on the playfield as I can, so
drilling and inserting a dowel is out.

Thanks,

Rob

toothpicks and elmers wood glue?
shove them in there real tight with a dab of wood glue on them and allow to
dry completely. then dremel them off level with the playfield.

Dan

"Rob" <z31kid@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Been reading up on "several" ways to fix a stripped playfield hole. All
> are
> straightforward but which one(s) have the longer lasting effects? Elmers
> &
> sawdust? I want to be as less invasive on the playfield as I can, so
> drilling and inserting a dowel is out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob

I use bamboo skewers to fill stripped holes. They normally fit just
right. A little wood glue...ba-da-bing!

I put in a toothpick with some wood filler putty called "quickwood" (at
home depot) In a very stripped BSD Bumper post that gets a ton of
action. It worked great. 200 plays later and it is still rock solid. No
drilling etc.

Toothpick happened to be cinnamon :)

-cAyle

martin

Bamboo skewers. Squeeze some Gorilla Glue into the hole (appropriate,
eh?), no need to fill it. Stick in the skewer and crack it in both
directions, should tear off and end up level with the pf. I use a
sharp, wide chisel to level off any extras.

The fibers in bamboo hold screw threads nicely. Sawdust, you are
relying on the strength of the glue.

martin

I suspect that the moisture catalyzes the reaction. It works well for
me, the stuff swells as it sets so there are no voids. But if you put
too much in, you will need the chisel.

On 2 Aug 2005 16:17:22 -0700, "martin" <martin.reynolds@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Bamboo skewers. Squeeze some Gorilla Glue into the hole (appropriate,
>eh?), no need to fill it. Stick in the skewer and crack it in both
>directions, should tear off and end up level with the pf. I use a
>sharp, wide chisel to level off any extras.
>
>The fibers in bamboo hold screw threads nicely. Sawdust, you are
>relying on the strength of the glue.

I thought that Gorilla Glue required the wood to be moistened with
water first. Isn't that a bad thing?

Regular wood glue works great and dries hard. Apply glue around the
skewer end. Slowly spin it into the hole. You may need to bob it a
little to get the glue down in the hole. You can let the glue drip into
the hole then insert the skewer as well. Make sure it's all the way in.
Try to snip it off level with the playfield with wire cutters. It will
leave the skewer slightly mounded up. Use a small hammer and whack it a
few times until it's smooth with the playfield top. Wipe off excess
glue. Allow to cure fully*, then reinsert screw. One skewer will do
many repairs.

* You can reinsert the screw immediately and it will be ok if you have
it all packed tightly together. Just best if you let it harden first.

This tip brought to you by CheapAssRGPBastards!

It does not need extra moisture. I use it in hole repair all the time
along with slivers of popsicle sticks. You can buy 10,000 popsicle
sticks for $1.99 at the craft store and they're very hard wood.

bogart
www.pinrestore.com