how good is alienware

halem111

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
are alienware the best there is when it comes to buying a whole pc. Are there better computer makers out there with better quality, price, performance or nethin else.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Well they do this for a gamer..Because that is who they build for, you give them $ and they build you a computer for the cash you paid them.

The up side is you will get a complete system with all the CD's for drivers in 1 CD. In other words a master boot/re-install cd configured for your exact build and hardware devices.

They make very good systems if you want to not build your own P.C. Thing is now most people that get to a level where they want a game computer would already have enough skills to purchase and build their own computer.

Assembling a home game P.C is not much harder then cooking your wife a nice dinner. Don't forget the flowers.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, l makes the best PC's. <A HREF="http://www.go-l.com" target="_new">http://www.go-l.com</A>. I build the second best PC's. If you buy a PC from me, it will include a restore disk with all the original software preconfigured. And a driver CD in case you don't want to do a restore.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
They're good by WAY too expensive. I'd take a dell over alienware.

Of course, I build them myself though.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Alienware makes great pc's. The only problem is it's way overpriced. But i am happy with my purchase awhile back.
But from now on i build my own.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata

halem111

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
so can u reccommend ne places to buy from that are UK based. Also what would you say are the best cases out there because alienwares seems pretty good with the cooling and all. Thanks

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Getting a good case for cooling is only important if you plan on overclocking, otherwise, a cheap-mid-range case with 3 fans other than the one on you CPU and in the PSU is enough. Post your budget in a post and people will give you a build. A mid-range Pentium based PC today looks like this:
P4 2.6GHZ C series
Abit IS7-E motherboard
512MB of PC3200 DDR RAM. Crucial is good value, Corsair, OCZ and Kingson are also good.
Graphics card - the most important component for a gamer, the following cards are good, arranged by price: ATI Radeon 9600, ATI Radeon 9600Pro, Radeon 9500Pro, Radeon 9700, Radeon 9800, Radeon 9700Pro, Radeon 9800Pro. The first five cards are better value than the Radeon 9700Pro and 9800Pro. The Radeon 9500Pro, 9700, 9700Pro are discontinued but are still high end, the 9500Pro is a great deal if you can find one (but those are rare).

<b><A HREF="http://www.multiplaycity.com/diy1/005/intelhsf.jpg" target="_new">I'm an Intel fan</A></b>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Alienware® Corporate Headquarters
12400 Southwest 134th Court, Bay 8
Miami, Florida 33186

Corporate Office Hours:
Mon - Fri: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm EST
Phone: 305-251-9797
Fax: 305-259-9874
info@alienware.com

Sales Hours:
Mon - Fri: 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Sat: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm EST
Phone: 800-494-3382
sales@alienware.com

Technical Support Hours:
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Phone: 866-287-6727
support@alienware.com

Customer Service Hours:
Mon - Fri 10:00 am - 7:00 pm EST
Phone: 866-287-6727
support@alienware.com

Billing Hours:
Mon - Fri 9:00 am - 5:00 pm EST
Phone: 1-800-ALIENWARE (Option #6)

Financing Hours:
Mon - Fri 9:00 am - 6:00 pm EST
Phone: 1-800-ALIENWARE (Option #4)

Government Sales: governmentsales@alienware.com
Corporate Sales: corporatesales@alienware.com

Directions:
Take 137th Avenue to 124th street. Go east on 124th street. Turn right onto 134th court. Turn right into first entrance of Alienware®.

My friend Paul simply contacted them told them what kind of system he waned and they sent it to him UPS air.
He had it in 2 weeks fully ready and it came with a complete boot configuration cd to do a system re-install plus he got all the original CD's that came with the hardware installed.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

kenshiro

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2003
I heard Alienware will use the best (maybe just good) hardware for your system, and will overclock it for you. This is the advantage of buying Alienware if you have money, but no knowledge how to build one. Like they say, the downside is it is a little overprice.

I usually recommend my friends (who don't know how to build a computer) to buy Dell. Their prices are very competitive and they provide excellent customer service. The downside is that your hardware may be limited on upgrading, and they locked the Bios preventing you from overclocking.

Anyone out there knows how to overclock a Dell? I will really appreciate it if someone can share the knowledge.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Take the money that you would spend on Alienware and buy the parts individually online. Then take those parts to a local mom and pop computer shop and have them build your computer for you. They'll charge you $30-$60 an hour.

When you're done you'll have the same computer for a small fraction of the price.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Its not very difficult to build a pc, I was always knew about alot of stuff, and never really physically built one. I read for weeks and diagrams and video's on AMD's site for installing HSF... most of the stuff i knew like HD setup and how cards go in and that stuff, but i physically never built anything before.... System Below on signature is the first computer i ever built, i did alot of research on parts and built in a few hours, had a few problems ..(bad board) but other then that it worked on first shot. I'd reccomend you try to order and build yourself, not Only was i happy it worked, but i was proud that the machine i am running right now to type this was built by me~! yay!...lol

nah but seriously it's not that hard... i will never buy another computer for myself ever... only thing i will buy is a Laptop... that's about it

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

RCPilot

Champion
I remember you building that machine. I'm glad it's running & your proud that you built it yourself. I've built I don't know how many machines for myself & would never do it any other way IMO!!

BTW good to see up pop in now & again. Good to see things are alright for you. Just thought I'd pop in here & say Hello.

I don't spend to much time up here anymore since I took up residance in the "other" forum :lol:

Dazzle them with Brilliance, or Baffle them with BS! :wink:

RCPilot

Champion
I thought as much! So I'm up here checking things out myself. I haven't posted up here in awhile, but I do read several forums daily to keep up on the goings on.

Shoot, it's getting crazy up here as we quiet down, down there, funny, NO!!

Dazzle them with Brilliance, or Baffle them with BS! :wink:

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
That's how i got into building pc's. I took my case apart*gateway* and i was like.. why isn't my computer working.
Then it went to video card upgrades and memory upgrades.
I saw all the cables labled and the lables on the mobo and new i could do it.
Bought an Alienware becuase i was afraid to build a pc, then i spent like 2800 on it and iwas like [-peep-] i could have saved a lot of money.

Now i build one for anyone i know who wants one. Heh, Free.
Just becuase i like doing it.
I know my alienware can't be overclocked but they know what's best for gaming.
They used the best mobo for rdram at the time, which at the time i thought was going to be the winner of the DDR vs Rdram duels. Set up the few bios options that you can.
And I think they tweaked it a bit.. but i can't find out what they did.

Any idea's on what they might have done would be great, specially so i can learn. I can build a computer but i'm not a master at it yet.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata