downloading updates and drivers from HP site

I have not been able to download any drivers or updates from the HP site and
haven't gotten an answer from them on what is the problem.

I have 2 HP Windows XP computers linked with a wireless network and on a
broadband cable modem.

I get error messages everytime I try to download something. Is it a setting
on the browser or something with the wireless network firewall? Or
something else?

Thanks.

John

What are you downloading? What sort of error messages are you getting? Do your
computers also have their built-in Windows firewalls enabled? Are you using
another software firewall, such as ZoneAlarm, or Symantec's firewall, or
McAfee's?

In short, tell more... Ben Myers

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 02:21:41 GMT, "John Bartos" <jbartos@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I have not been able to download any drivers or updates from the HP site and
>haven't gotten an answer from them on what is the problem.
>
>I have 2 HP Windows XP computers linked with a wireless network and on a
>broadband cable modem.
>
>I get error messages everytime I try to download something. Is it a setting
>on the browser or something with the wireless network firewall? Or
>something else?
>
>Thanks.
>
>John

I do not have any software firewall running.
Well guess what? I downloaded the new Win XP SP2 and it seems to have
corrected the problem. Hurray. This has gone on for awhile.

> What are you downloading? What sort of error messages are you getting?
> Do your
> computers also have their built-in Windows firewalls enabled? Are you
> using
> another software firewall, such as ZoneAlarm, or Symantec's firewall, or
> McAfee's?
>
> In short, tell more... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 02:21:41 GMT, "John Bartos" <jbartos@ix.netcom.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have not been able to download any drivers or updates from the HP site
>>and
>>haven't gotten an answer from them on what is the problem.
>>
>>I have 2 HP Windows XP computers linked with a wireless network and on a
>>broadband cable modem.
>>
>>I get error messages everytime I try to download something. Is it a
>>setting
>>on the browser or something with the wireless network firewall? Or
>>something else?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>John

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:36:05 GMT, "John Bartos"
<jbartos@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I do not have any software firewall running.
>Well guess what? I downloaded the new Win XP SP2 and it seems to have
>corrected the problem. Hurray. This has gone on for awhile.

The problem will come back and bite you in the butt. I found out that
Win XP SP2 has bugs in it and it introduces more security holes and it
installs that automatic update feature which will force update your
computer and it enables the spies at Micro$hit to spy on you and check
your computer for bootleg software and send the results back to Uncle
Bill Gates and you could have the FBI knocking on your door.

Everybody is becoming paranoid about it these days.....

Dr. Zonk

"Dr. Zonk" <drzonk@zunkinlandloonybin.invalid> wrote in message

> The problem will come back and bite you in the butt. I found out that
> Win XP SP2 has bugs in it and it introduces more security holes and it
> installs that automatic update feature which will force update your
> computer and it enables the spies at Micro$hit to spy on you and check
> your computer for bootleg software and send the results back to Uncle
> Bill Gates and you could have the FBI knocking on your door.

What a bunch of BS. Can you give any reference to security holes?

As for the automatic updates, you can just turn them off. Open the control
panel, click on automatic updates and set the level that you feel most
comfortable - from automatic to never, with a few steps in between.

- Bob Headrick