ati tv-out

I just got my new :) Dimenion 4600 series PC from Dell a few weeks ago
and got most of the stuff set up the way I want it.

Iupgraded to the 128MB DDR ATI Radeon PRO Graphics Card. It says it has
"TV-Out". What does that mean? I can play video through the TV? What
type of cable does it take? Sorry for the basic questions, but I didn't
see any documentation with the graphics card.

Also, any recommendations of a video game to put the graphics card
through its paces? :)

Jim
2 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Jim Madsen <jemadsennospam@adelphia.net> wrote:
    > I just got my new :) Dimenion 4600 series PC from Dell a few weeks ago
    > and got most of the stuff set up the way I want it.

    > Iupgraded to the 128MB DDR ATI Radeon PRO Graphics Card. It says it has
    > "TV-Out". What does that mean? I can play video through the TV? What
    > type of cable does it take? Sorry for the basic questions, but I didn't
    > see any documentation with the graphics card.

    > Also, any recommendations of a video game to put the graphics card
    > through its paces? :)

    > Jim

    Yes, the TV-Out feature will allow you to set up your tv as a
    secondary display in Windows XP (presumably).

    It'll most likely have the yellow AV jack which looks like a old
    RCA phono plug. This will work between almost any video device
    built in the last ten years. Just match yellow to yellow.

    It will probably have an s-video jack for newer video equipment.

    It may have a coax in/out jack, depending on whether the card has
    a television tuner.

    The features of TV-out are limited. You can turn your computer
    system into a poorman's 6.1 DVD player with just a frugal investment
    in speakers and a software DVD program. I do video editting,
    and piping test renders through the television directly has its
    own merits. But other than that... ?

    Far Cry is the running video card hog as far as games go...

    Thanks for the info Caden. When I didn't receive a reply for a few days
    after my post, I did some more searching on the Dell site, and found
    most of the instructions for the video card. When I first looked at the
    back of the computer, I didn't see anything like you described, but
    there are quite a few connectors back there. I just wanted to try it
    out to see what that's like--(we also have a home theater, that came
    with the house, including DVD).

    Thanks again

    Jim

    Caden wrote:

    > Yes, the TV-Out feature will allow you to set up your tv as a
    > secondary display in Windows XP (presumably).
    >
    > It'll most likely have the yellow AV jack which looks like a old
    > RCA phono plug. This will work between almost any video device
    > built in the last ten years. Just match yellow to yellow.
    >
    > It will probably have an s-video jack for newer video equipment.
    >
    > It may have a coax in/out jack, depending on whether the card has
    > a television tuner.
    >

    > The features of TV-out are limited. You can turn your computer
    > system into a poorman's 6.1 DVD player with just a frugal investment
    > in speakers and a software DVD program. I do video editting,
    > and piping test renders through the television directly has its
    > own merits. But other than that... ?
    >
    > Far Cry is the running video card hog as far as games go...

Dell TV Graphics Cards Computers