ati tv-out

I just got my new :) Dimenion 4600 series PC from Dell a few weeks ago
and got most of the stuff set up the way I want it.

Iupgraded to the 128MB DDR ATI Radeon PRO Graphics Card. It says it has
"TV-Out". What does that mean? I can play video through the TV? What
type of cable does it take? Sorry for the basic questions, but I didn't
see any documentation with the graphics card.

Also, any recommendations of a video game to put the graphics card
through its paces? :)

Jim

Jim Madsen <jemadsennospam@adelphia.net> wrote:
> I just got my new :) Dimenion 4600 series PC from Dell a few weeks ago
> and got most of the stuff set up the way I want it.

> Iupgraded to the 128MB DDR ATI Radeon PRO Graphics Card. It says it has
> "TV-Out". What does that mean? I can play video through the TV? What
> type of cable does it take? Sorry for the basic questions, but I didn't
> see any documentation with the graphics card.

> Also, any recommendations of a video game to put the graphics card
> through its paces? :)

> Jim

Yes, the TV-Out feature will allow you to set up your tv as a
secondary display in Windows XP (presumably).

It'll most likely have the yellow AV jack which looks like a old
RCA phono plug. This will work between almost any video device
built in the last ten years. Just match yellow to yellow.

It will probably have an s-video jack for newer video equipment.

It may have a coax in/out jack, depending on whether the card has
a television tuner.

The features of TV-out are limited. You can turn your computer
system into a poorman's 6.1 DVD player with just a frugal investment
in speakers and a software DVD program. I do video editting,
and piping test renders through the television directly has its
own merits. But other than that... ?

Far Cry is the running video card hog as far as games go...

Thanks for the info Caden. When I didn't receive a reply for a few days
after my post, I did some more searching on the Dell site, and found
most of the instructions for the video card. When I first looked at the
back of the computer, I didn't see anything like you described, but
there are quite a few connectors back there. I just wanted to try it
out to see what that's like--(we also have a home theater, that came
with the house, including DVD).

Thanks again

Jim