Finding and Downloading New Software for Linux

Woomises

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002
This question involves new software and updates to existing distribution level software/libraries/utilities.

In the past, when I've given Linux a try (Redhat 6, 7, 7.1-7.3, SuSe 8, Slackware 7, 8, Mandrake 8.0-8.2, you name it) I've always been *stokin* when the fresh installation up and running and i've got high speed internet working I go to get Drivers, and install them. Always no problem. A week or so goes by and I want to DO something. I want to learn what there is to do, and i want to find out where to learn about things to do. But I have been unsuccesful besides sourceforge and freshmeat.net. But these software packages always have 3 or 4 things to download along with the required libraries/dependencies it gets monotonous(?) How do the majority of Linux users find their software and install it easily? I've looked into AutoRPM but was stuck in a catch-22 with it, could not find dependencies.

Is there some kind of standard software that makes finding, checking and installing stuff easier? A.K.A: "Linux works great! Where do I go from here? What's Next?"

This was a silly question but any tips/websites/software that makes using linux on a day-to-day basis better and more fullfiling would make me *stoked* :)

joe
joe@ccars.org

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.rpmfind.net" target="_new">http://www.rpmfind.net</A> had a ton of rpms. Find one you want, get it, and then (usually) it'll look like this:

your.program.i386.rpm

to install just cd to the directory containing that file, and type:

rpm -Uvh your.program.i386.rpm

and it'll install.

If you want to compile source, that's a bit more of a task and you often times have to deal with dependencies. Usually the
./configure
script will tell you what you need to get. After the configure script passes and does it's thing, it's usually a simple matter of typing:

make
make install

and you're done...

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
In addition to silverpig's post, I'd like to say that most folks probably don't want to have to compile their software.

A lot of Unix/Linux/etc software has a simple install.sh script, or just a readme file, which tells you where to put the files (flash, for example), but rpm or apt is a pretty painless way to go. I much prefer it over, say, InstallShield, because you can see what you are getting before it breaks your system - eg rpm -qilp packagename-1.2.3-i386.rpm

Generally, I use the distro's installer tools. They all provide a huge number of packages, and you can be sure that the dependencies will be available too - at least on the cd/ftp. Most of them resolve dependencies too. One option I like is Ximian's red-carpet (if Gnome is your thing), because it has a decent selection of useful apps, and makes installation painless.

Debian folks will be laughing, because it sounds like apt-get is what you are talking about - similarly Gentoo's ports system.

What problems did you have with autorpm? It's written in perl, so it shouldn't have much in the way of dependency problems.

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>

Woomises

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002
Well you see, I understand the basics of rpms, i usually issued -i however, but anyway. My question really wasn't about the installation of software more than it was about the places that you get new software. What's the deal with CVS? Is that in context? Where did all my hair just go?

No but seriously, it just frustrates me to install Linux and have no idea what to do from there. I go looking on freshmeat.net for stuff that interests me... say Intranet compilations... and It requires all this stuff... I go to the sites for the stuff and it needs more stuff... I go to (just as an example: softdrake) and try and find the right package only to get an error message.

What would be the usual procedure for somebody who uses it everyday? Are their systems just LOADED with all kinds of libraries that they can just download any package? Is that what I am supposed to do? Go to rpmfind.net and download lib*.*.*.* :)

--
joe
joe@ccars.org

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Yeah, rpm -i will install it, but rpm -qilp gives you bulk info about the package...

As I said, the easy place to find software is from the distro provider - via ftp, web, or cd. If you go looking elsewhere, you take your chances.

I think most people have a lot of libraries and things installed, but usually just the runtime libraries. When you start getting into compiling it yourself, you have to have the right dev packages too.

Normally, if there's some software I want, I'll download it, and see if it installs. If not, I check what it needs, and find the appropriate package on the distro cd/ftp. If it's something really new and not in my distro (maybe the latest version of something I'd otherwise have), I'll find the source and compile it myself.

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
It always pays to do a "full" install on the distros.

By which, I mean the development stuff. I've found it knocks out so many "dependencies" right off the top.

But you may still have to update those dependencies. Which is why there's a updated release of just about every distro, just about every 3 months.

Sometimes less.

Other than that, Linux is one reading-SOB. If you're not an Electrical Engineer, you basically become one by the time you have learned your way around Linux.

I don't know who to cuss. Steve, Bill, or Linus...

P4's @ 3600Mhz ()wNz J00 4LL!!!!!!

Woomises

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002
Thank you, I am going to do a reinstall with Mandrake 9 / and on the 30th try out the new redhat. I'm going to start putting a little more thought into my RPM installation strategies, like doing -qlip before just to check it out.

I'm also going to get AutoRPM installed and try and find a badass Package Manager...

--
joe
joe@ccars.org