Closed

Internet bad after 2 hours

I have a number of XP computers (all SP2) connected to the Net via a
wireless modem/router. Everything was fine until a few days ago when my
connection speed dramatically slowed after being online for a few hours.

This happens to all of the PCs in my home - so it's nothing internal to my
PC.

I tried to transfer a large file across the wireless network and it
transferred fine (5Mb in 10 seconds). I can also connect to the router's web
management software without problem. So it's not the wireless connection.

Which leaves either my modem/router or my broadband connection. The router's
"DSL" light is always on which infers that my broadband connection is OK. So
that leaves my modem/router.

When I run my router's diagnostic software I get the following results:

Test the connection to your local network
Test your Ethernet Connection: PASS
Test your Wireless Connection: PASS

Test the connection to your ADSL service provider
Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS
Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: PASS
Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: PASS
Test ATM OAM F4 segment ping: FAIL
Test ATM OAM F4 end-to-end ping: FAIL

Test the connection to your Internet service provider
Test PPP server connection: PASS
Test authentication with ISP: PASS
Test the assigned IP address: PASS
Ping default gateway: PASS
Ping primary Domain Name Server: FAIL

Is this bad? Does this tell me that there's something wrong with my
modem/router?

Cheers.

Bobby
7 answers Last reply
More about internet hours

    From: "Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com>

    | I have a number of XP computers (all SP2) connected to the Net via a
    | wireless modem/router. Everything was fine until a few days ago when my
    | connection speed dramatically slowed after being online for a few hours.
    |
    | This happens to all of the PCs in my home - so it's nothing internal to my
    | PC.
    |
    | I tried to transfer a large file across the wireless network and it
    | transferred fine (5Mb in 10 seconds). I can also connect to the router's web
    | management software without problem. So it's not the wireless connection.
    |
    | Which leaves either my modem/router or my broadband connection. The router's
    | "DSL" light is always on which infers that my broadband connection is OK. So
    | that leaves my modem/router.
    |
    | When I run my router's diagnostic software I get the following results:
    |
    | Test the connection to your local network
    | Test your Ethernet Connection: PASS
    | Test your Wireless Connection: PASS
    |
    | Test the connection to your ADSL service provider
    | Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS
    | Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: PASS
    | Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: PASS
    | Test ATM OAM F4 segment ping: FAIL
    | Test ATM OAM F4 end-to-end ping: FAIL
    |
    | Test the connection to your Internet service provider
    | Test PPP server connection: PASS
    | Test authentication with ISP: PASS
    | Test the assigned IP address: PASS
    | Ping default gateway: PASS
    | Ping primary Domain Name Server: FAIL
    |
    | Is this bad? Does this tell me that there's something wrong with my
    | modem/router?
    |
    | Cheers.
    |
    | Bobby

    And what does your ISP say ? That's who need to talk to first. This isn't a WinXP problem.
    It is either a networking problem (maybe) or an ISP problem (likely).

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Has happened here a couple of times in the past. It was the ISP at my end

    --
    Peter

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 22:18:45 +0100, "Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com>
    wrote:

    >I have a number of XP computers (all SP2) connected to the Net via a
    >wireless modem/router. Everything was fine until a few days ago when my
    >connection speed dramatically slowed after being online for a few hours.
    >
    >This happens to all of the PCs in my home - so it's nothing internal to my
    >PC.
    >
    >I tried to transfer a large file across the wireless network and it
    >transferred fine (5Mb in 10 seconds). I can also connect to the router's web
    >management software without problem. So it's not the wireless connection.
    >
    >Which leaves either my modem/router or my broadband connection. The router's
    >"DSL" light is always on which infers that my broadband connection is OK. So
    >that leaves my modem/router.
    >
    >When I run my router's diagnostic software I get the following results:
    >
    > Test the connection to your local network
    > Test your Ethernet Connection: PASS
    > Test your Wireless Connection: PASS
    >
    > Test the connection to your ADSL service provider
    > Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS
    > Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: PASS
    > Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: PASS
    > Test ATM OAM F4 segment ping: FAIL
    > Test ATM OAM F4 end-to-end ping: FAIL
    >
    > Test the connection to your Internet service provider
    > Test PPP server connection: PASS
    > Test authentication with ISP: PASS
    > Test the assigned IP address: PASS
    > Ping default gateway: PASS
    > Ping primary Domain Name Server: FAIL
    >
    >Is this bad? Does this tell me that there's something wrong with my
    >modem/router?
    >
    >Cheers.
    >
    >Bobby

    Try pulling the power on your router for 20 seconds forcing it to
    reboot. I have similar problems occasionally its the ISP doing
    maintenance, a hard reset usually cures it.

    Yes. I think it's the same here. But of course the ISP (BT Broadband) is
    denying it. I'm 95% certain that that is the problem since I used a wired
    ADSL modem and had the same problem - then suddenly the connection works.

    BT claimed to have tested the line and that it was OK. What exactly do they
    do when they test a line?

    Bobby

    Has happened here a couple of times in the past. It was the ISP at my end

    --
    Peter

    "Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a number of XP computers (all SP2) connected to the Net via a
    > wireless modem/router. Everything was fine until a few days ago when my
    > connection speed dramatically slowed after being online for a few hours.
    >
    > This happens to all of the PCs in my home - so it's nothing internal to my
    > PC.
    >
    > I tried to transfer a large file across the wireless network and it
    > transferred fine (5Mb in 10 seconds). I can also connect to the router's
    > web
    > management software without problem. So it's not the wireless connection.
    >
    > Which leaves either my modem/router or my broadband connection. The
    > router's
    > "DSL" light is always on which infers that my broadband connection is OK.
    > So
    > that leaves my modem/router.
    >
    > When I run my router's diagnostic software I get the following results:
    >
    > Test the connection to your local network
    > Test your Ethernet Connection: PASS
    > Test your Wireless Connection: PASS
    >
    > Test the connection to your ADSL service provider
    > Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS
    > Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: PASS
    > Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: PASS
    > Test ATM OAM F4 segment ping: FAIL
    > Test ATM OAM F4 end-to-end ping: FAIL
    >
    > Test the connection to your Internet service provider
    > Test PPP server connection: PASS
    > Test authentication with ISP: PASS
    > Test the assigned IP address: PASS
    > Ping default gateway: PASS
    > Ping primary Domain Name Server: FAIL
    >
    > Is this bad? Does this tell me that there's something wrong with my
    > modem/router?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Bobby

  5. I also have this problem. Can anyone tell me what's the soloution?
  6. This thread is 5 years old. If you have a question, please start your own thread.
  7. This topic has been closed by Aford10

Routers Connection Windows XP