Closed

Internet bad after 2 hours

September 7, 2005 2:18:45 AM

I have a number of XP computers (all SP2) connected to the Net via a
wireless modem/router. Everything was fine until a few days ago when my
connection speed dramatically slowed after being online for a few hours.

This happens to all of the PCs in my home - so it's nothing internal to my
PC.

I tried to transfer a large file across the wireless network and it
transferred fine (5Mb in 10 seconds). I can also connect to the router's web
management software without problem. So it's not the wireless connection.

Which leaves either my modem/router or my broadband connection. The router's
"DSL" light is always on which infers that my broadband connection is OK. So
that leaves my modem/router.

When I run my router's diagnostic software I get the following results:

Test the connection to your local network
Test your Ethernet Connection: PASS
Test your Wireless Connection: PASS

Test the connection to your ADSL service provider
Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS
Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: PASS
Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: PASS
Test ATM OAM F4 segment ping: FAIL
Test ATM OAM F4 end-to-end ping: FAIL

Test the connection to your Internet service provider
Test PPP server connection: PASS
Test authentication with ISP: PASS
Test the assigned IP address: PASS
Ping default gateway: PASS
Ping primary Domain Name Server: FAIL

Is this bad? Does this tell me that there's something wrong with my
modem/router?

Cheers.

Bobby

More about : internet bad hours

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 2:18:46 AM

From: "Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com>

| I have a number of XP computers (all SP2) connected to the Net via a
| wireless modem/router. Everything was fine until a few days ago when my
| connection speed dramatically slowed after being online for a few hours.
|
| This happens to all of the PCs in my home - so it's nothing internal to my
| PC.
|
| I tried to transfer a large file across the wireless network and it
| transferred fine (5Mb in 10 seconds). I can also connect to the router's web
| management software without problem. So it's not the wireless connection.
|
| Which leaves either my modem/router or my broadband connection. The router's
| "DSL" light is always on which infers that my broadband connection is OK. So
| that leaves my modem/router.
|
| When I run my router's diagnostic software I get the following results:
|
| Test the connection to your local network
| Test your Ethernet Connection: PASS
| Test your Wireless Connection: PASS
|
| Test the connection to your ADSL service provider
| Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS
| Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: PASS
| Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: PASS
| Test ATM OAM F4 segment ping: FAIL
| Test ATM OAM F4 end-to-end ping: FAIL
|
| Test the connection to your Internet service provider
| Test PPP server connection: PASS
| Test authentication with ISP: PASS
| Test the assigned IP address: PASS
| Ping default gateway: PASS
| Ping primary Domain Name Server: FAIL
|
| Is this bad? Does this tell me that there's something wrong with my
| modem/router?
|
| Cheers.
|
| Bobby

And what does your ISP say ? That's who need to talk to first. This isn't a WinXP problem.
It is either a networking problem (maybe) or an ISP problem (likely).

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Has happened here a couple of times in the past. It was the ISP at my end

--
Peter

"Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com> wrote in message news:3o6k47F4bijrU1@individual.net...
>I have a number of XP computers (all SP2) connected to the Net via a
> wireless modem/router. Everything was fine until a few days ago when my
> connection speed dramatically slowed after being online for a few hours.
>
> This happens to all of the PCs in my home - so it's nothing internal to my
> PC.
>
> I tried to transfer a large file across the wireless network and it
> transferred fine (5Mb in 10 seconds). I can also connect to the router's web
> management software without problem. So it's not the wireless connection.
>
> Which leaves either my modem/router or my broadband connection. The router's
> "DSL" light is always on which infers that my broadband connection is OK. So
> that leaves my modem/router.
>
> When I run my router's diagnostic software I get the following results:
>
> Test the connection to your local network
> Test your Ethernet Connection: PASS
> Test your Wireless Connection: PASS
>
> Test the connection to your ADSL service provider
> Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS
> Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: PASS
> Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: PASS
> Test ATM OAM F4 segment ping: FAIL
> Test ATM OAM F4 end-to-end ping: FAIL
>
> Test the connection to your Internet service provider
> Test PPP server connection: PASS
> Test authentication with ISP: PASS
> Test the assigned IP address: PASS
> Ping default gateway: PASS
> Ping primary Domain Name Server: FAIL
>
> Is this bad? Does this tell me that there's something wrong with my
> modem/router?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Related resources
September 7, 2005 5:10:28 AM

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 22:18:45 +0100, "Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com>
wrote:

>I have a number of XP computers (all SP2) connected to the Net via a
>wireless modem/router. Everything was fine until a few days ago when my
>connection speed dramatically slowed after being online for a few hours.
>
>This happens to all of the PCs in my home - so it's nothing internal to my
>PC.
>
>I tried to transfer a large file across the wireless network and it
>transferred fine (5Mb in 10 seconds). I can also connect to the router's web
>management software without problem. So it's not the wireless connection.
>
>Which leaves either my modem/router or my broadband connection. The router's
>"DSL" light is always on which infers that my broadband connection is OK. So
>that leaves my modem/router.
>
>When I run my router's diagnostic software I get the following results:
>
> Test the connection to your local network
> Test your Ethernet Connection: PASS
> Test your Wireless Connection: PASS
>
> Test the connection to your ADSL service provider
> Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS
> Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: PASS
> Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: PASS
> Test ATM OAM F4 segment ping: FAIL
> Test ATM OAM F4 end-to-end ping: FAIL
>
> Test the connection to your Internet service provider
> Test PPP server connection: PASS
> Test authentication with ISP: PASS
> Test the assigned IP address: PASS
> Ping default gateway: PASS
> Ping primary Domain Name Server: FAIL
>
>Is this bad? Does this tell me that there's something wrong with my
>modem/router?
>
>Cheers.
>
>Bobby

Try pulling the power on your router for 20 seconds forcing it to
reboot. I have similar problems occasionally its the ISP doing
maintenance, a hard reset usually cures it.

September 7, 2005 10:37:22 PM

Yes. I think it's the same here. But of course the ISP (BT Broadband) is
denying it. I'm 95% certain that that is the problem since I used a wired
ADSL modem and had the same problem - then suddenly the connection works.

BT claimed to have tested the line and that it was OK. What exactly do they
do when they test a line?

Bobby

Has happened here a couple of times in the past. It was the ISP at my end

--
Peter

"Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com> wrote in message
>I have a number of XP computers (all SP2) connected to the Net via a
> wireless modem/router. Everything was fine until a few days ago when my
> connection speed dramatically slowed after being online for a few hours.
>
> This happens to all of the PCs in my home - so it's nothing internal to my
> PC.
>
> I tried to transfer a large file across the wireless network and it
> transferred fine (5Mb in 10 seconds). I can also connect to the router's
> web
> management software without problem. So it's not the wireless connection.
>
> Which leaves either my modem/router or my broadband connection. The
> router's
> "DSL" light is always on which infers that my broadband connection is OK.
> So
> that leaves my modem/router.
>
> When I run my router's diagnostic software I get the following results:
>
> Test the connection to your local network
> Test your Ethernet Connection: PASS
> Test your Wireless Connection: PASS
>
> Test the connection to your ADSL service provider
> Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS
> Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: PASS
> Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: PASS
> Test ATM OAM F4 segment ping: FAIL
> Test ATM OAM F4 end-to-end ping: FAIL
>
> Test the connection to your Internet service provider
> Test PPP server connection: PASS
> Test authentication with ISP: PASS
> Test the assigned IP address: PASS
> Ping default gateway: PASS
> Ping primary Domain Name Server: FAIL
>
> Is this bad? Does this tell me that there's something wrong with my
> modem/router?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

November 1, 2010 1:35:14 PM

I also have this problem. Can anyone tell me what's the soloution?
November 1, 2010 1:50:34 PM

This thread is 5 years old. If you have a question, please start your own thread.
November 1, 2010 1:50:39 PM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
!