Sign in with
Your question

Need help picking HD monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 21, 2010 9:30:14 AM

Hey guys, I just want to pick out an HD monitor for my new computer. I was thinking around 20-24 inches with HDMI port so it can act as a TV for my ps3 etc etc.

I also currently have a ATI HD5970 video card and it does support HD so any suggestions would be great.

I do not want to buy a low end monitor because i am willing to dish out quite a bit of cash but not over the top (400+)

As for 3D functions.. does my card even support that? and is 3D really neccessary?

Thanks!

P.S. I currently have a Samsung SyncMaster 2232GW and plan to dual screen with new monitor

More about : picking monitor

a c 193 C Monitor
December 21, 2010 9:51:57 PM

ATI HD 5xxx and 6xxx cards do technically support 3D, but there are no drivers for that feature. The 3D drivers will not be developed by AMD/ATI itself, instead they have decided to make it open source so that the development community can develop the drivers; kinda like Linux.

You have two options.

1. Go for a e-IPS monitor which generally offers better colors and viewing angles at the expense of slightly higher response times of 8m vs. 2ms/5ms, such as the Dell U2311w. Still usable for gaming and well suited for photo editing and movies due to better colors.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c...

2. Go for a 120Hz monitor that is 3D capable. Based on what I've read gamers seem benefit even if they do not use the 3D feature. The 120Hz refresh times generally means games look a lot smoother than normal 60Hz monitors.

Here's an example of a 120Hz monitor. I don't really know what the top 3 120Hz monitors are though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 21, 2010 9:56:11 PM

I was looking at the Benq E2420HD. I can get it at $199, but its a TN instead of IPS.. so. I don't know what the difference is. Can someone clarify for me?

As for those options Jaquar, would those be a better value than the Benq?
a c 193 C Monitor
December 21, 2010 10:27:09 PM

Quote:
TN film (Twisted Nematic + Film) panels where the first panels to be used and are still widely implemented in many TFT’s today, especially mid to low end screens. This is due to the low manufacturing costs of TN panels. Traditionally they were not always very good at displaying blacks, but modern TN Film panels are actually very good in this regard. In fact many can compete with even VA matrices. There is also a problem with pixels dying and becoming a bright colour rather than just completely going out (black). The main issue with TN Film panels is that they have restrictive viewing angles of up to a realistic range of about 140 horizontally. Vertical viewing angles are very poor generally and suffer from a characteristic blackening of the image as you look from below. TN film panel traditionally offer the fastest pixel response times, and with the implementation of RTC / overdrive technologies, the grey to grey transitions have become even faster. Today, TN Film panels are used in the majority of gamer-orientated screens and are often used to break into new screen sizes, offering a cost effective way to provide larger screens without increasing the price too much.

IPS (In Plane Switching) was introduced to try and improve on some of the drawbacks of TN Film. It was developed by Hitachi and was dubbed “super TFT”. They improved on viewing angles up to about 170H. This was done by controlling liquid crystal alignment slightly differently, but unfortunately, can affect response rate of the pixels. As such they are not as good for gaming as TN panels. IPS panels were later developed into Super-IPS (S-IPS) panels by their main manufaturer now, LG.Display (formerly LG.Philips). Production costs were lowered which has meant they have become more widely used. S-IPS offer perhaps the most accurate colour reproduction available in the TFT panel market, and the widest viewing angles as well. They are also free of the off-centre cotnrast shift which is evident on VA matrices, and as such are commonly the choice of graphics and colour professional displays. Response times were traditionally behind those of TN Film and VA panel variants, but modern IPS panels using response time compensation (RTC) including the new generation of Horizontal IPS (H-IPS), Enhanced S-IPS and Advanced Super IPS (AS-IPS) panels can offer responsiveness to rival both.

TN panels generally have 2ms/5ms response time, e-IPS panels are slower at 8ms so will generally see more ghosting effects.

All IPS panels will have better viewing angles than a TN panel.

Here's a video, the one on the left is TN, the right is IPS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP7C00BIzH8&feature=rela...

Here's another video; IPS on left, TN on right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7XNwbUYEM&feature=rela...

I'm not familiar with the BenQ monitor other than it uses a TN panel, but it is in your budget. If your primary concern is gaming and you don't mind spending the extra $$, then look into some 120Hz monitors. If you don't like what you saw in the above videos regarding the TN panel monitors, then consider the Dell U2311h which is a very good all purpose monitor; just keep in mind that you may see slightly more ghosting since your Samsung SyncMaster 2232GW is advertised as a 2ms response time monitor.
!