jonah

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

Sorry to bring this up but it seems to cause so much venom I would
appreciate an explanation of the problem.

Volume Licensed WinXP Pro is obviously the official name as has been
pointed out ad nauseum.

"Corporate Edition" doesn't exist (allegedly, actually I personally
don't care if it exists or not), is seemingly subject to more demands
for proof of existence than God himself and of couse the term
"Corporate" means its a pirated version of the said Volume Licensed
WinXP Pro which has also been screamed about like its in the bloody
constitution or something.

I call Volume Licensed WinXP Pro "Corporate" because its easier to say
and write for that matter than "Volume Licensed WinXP Pro". Thats it
it, just works better nothing more.

In all the time XP has been on release and I have been working with it
in the industry I have never yet heard anybody at all refer to
"Volume Licensed WinXP Pro" or anything remotely similar; they all
from IT managers to shop floor builders call it "Corporate" or
similar. Admittedly I do most work for home users and small companies
but even so I have never heard the official term used.

IMHO this is merely a matter of language useage which is not
controlled by M$ or anybody else for that matter. Admittedly I live on
the other side of the pond and we have our two nations divided by a
common language thing but this "Corporate" issue is really OTT.

I am guilty of making the assumption that most of the zealots are US
based mainly because Brits just would not get so upset and Europeans
would use any term that gets the gist over and they can spell near
enough, anybody else would not give a toss.

Anybody want to explain why this is sooooooooo important from an
english language POV not a piracy rant please? and why its worth
getting so uptight over?

I am going to have a dearest comrade now.

And FFS don't use the term "My Fanny Hurts" in the UK

Don't bother Donald I KF'ed you.

:cool:

Jonah

jonah wrote:
> Sorry to bring this up but it seems to cause so much venom I would
> appreciate an explanation of the problem.
>
> Volume Licensed WinXP Pro is obviously the official name as has been
> pointed out ad nauseum.
>
> "Corporate Edition" doesn't exist (allegedly, actually I personally
> don't care if it exists or not), is seemingly subject to more demands
> for proof of existence than God himself and of couse the term
> "Corporate" means its a pirated version of the said Volume Licensed
> WinXP Pro which has also been screamed about like its in the bloody
> constitution or something.
>
> I call Volume Licensed WinXP Pro "Corporate" because its easier to say
> and write for that matter than "Volume Licensed WinXP Pro". Thats it
> it, just works better nothing more.
>
> In all the time XP has been on release and I have been working with it
> in the industry I have never yet heard anybody at all refer to
> "Volume Licensed WinXP Pro" or anything remotely similar; they all
> from IT managers to shop floor builders call it "Corporate" or
> similar. Admittedly I do most work for home users and small companies
> but even so I have never heard the official term used.
>
> IMHO this is merely a matter of language useage which is not
> controlled by M$ or anybody else for that matter. Admittedly I live on
> the other side of the pond and we have our two nations divided by a
> common language thing but this "Corporate" issue is really OTT.
>
> I am guilty of making the assumption that most of the zealots are US
> based mainly because Brits just would not get so upset and Europeans
> would use any term that gets the gist over and they can spell near
> enough, anybody else would not give a toss.
>
> Anybody want to explain why this is sooooooooo important from an
> english language POV not a piracy rant please? and why its worth
> getting so uptight over?
>
> I am going to have a dearest comrade now.
>
> And FFS don't use the term "My Fanny Hurts" in the UK
>
> Don't bother Donald I KF'ed you.
>
> :cool:
>
> Jonah

In writing about Volume Licensed Edition, In the future
Just Abbreviate it as "WinXP pro - VL". This gets away from
using the word "corporate" which then sets a flag as 'may be
a pirated version'. You may be able to tell what the VL
means (I hope).

jonah

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:15:09 -0400, Lester Stiefel
<les7954@verizon.net> wrote:

snip

> In writing about Volume Licensed Edition, In the future
>Just Abbreviate it as "WinXP pro - VL". This gets away from
>using the word "corporate" which then sets a flag as 'may be
>a pirated version'. You may be able to tell what the VL
>means (I hope).

Yeah its a real pain innit?

Thank gawd for ctrl V

:cool:

Jonah

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:45:43 +1000, "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp>
wrote:

>> Thanks a lot man I couldn't get anything but evil tasting beer so
>> ridiculously cold it needed gloves to handle.
>
>It's exactly what all Ozzies in the UK say they had to wear in the middle of
>a UK summer. Gloves.
>
>- Winux P

Guess you will be wearing gloves in the US too.

Here Beer is expected to be served ice cold. If someone serves you a
warm beer they just might get it thrown right back at them in their
face no less.

jonah

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

wrote:

>"jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:28:21 +1000, "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp>
snip

>> Thanks a lot man I couldn't get anything but evil tasting beer so
>> ridiculously cold it needed gloves to handle.
>
>It's exactly what all Ozzies in the UK say they had to wear in the middle of
>a UK summer. Gloves.

Is it compulsory for all Antipodeans between 18 - 24 to work in the
UK for 2 years? Some sort of law possibly? I don't mind in the least
but there can't be many young adults left in OZ they all appear to be
here wearing motorcycle gloves and lugging a surfboard around the tube
usually..

Jonah

Alias

<Rctfreek> wrote

> Here Beer is expected to be served ice cold. If someone serves you a
> warm beer they just might get it thrown right back at them in their
> face no less.

There is no beer in the USA. It's called "lager" and watered down. With the
piss poor taste of US beer, it's no wonder you insist on having it served
cold so you can't taste it.

Alias

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> <Rctfreek> wrote
>

>> Here Beer is expected to be served ice cold. If someone serves you a
>> warm beer they just might get it thrown right back at them in their
>> face no less.
>
> There is no beer in the USA. It's called "lager" and watered down. With
> the piss poor taste of US beer, it's no wonder you insist on having it
> served cold so you can't taste it.

You haven't tried any of the American micro brews then. As with any small
production setup some are good and some aren't. Some are very good, the
equal of anything I've tasted other than a small brewery on the
Austrian/German border, which by the way was also a lager.

Kerry

Alias

> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>
>> <Rctfreek> wrote
>>

>>> Here Beer is expected to be served ice cold. If someone serves you a
>>> warm beer they just might get it thrown right back at them in their
>>> face no less.
>>
>> There is no beer in the USA. It's called "lager" and watered down. With
>> the piss poor taste of US beer, it's no wonder you insist on having it
>> served cold so you can't taste it.
>>

> You haven't tried any of the American micro brews then. As with any small
> production setup some are good and some aren't. Some are very good, the
> equal of anything I've tasted other than a small brewery on the
> Austrian/German border, which by the way was also a lager.
>
> Kerry

I don't drink anything anymore. I have already had my share for this
lifetime :) I was thinking more in terms of Budweiser, Miller, Coors,
Pabst, etc. than small breweries that know what they're doing.

>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> <Rctfreek> wrote

>>> There is no beer in the USA. It's called "lager" and watered down. With
>>> the piss poor taste of US beer, it's no wonder you insist on having it
>>> served cold so you can't taste it.
>>>

>> You haven't tried any of the American micro brews then. As with any small
>> production setup some are good and some aren't. Some are very good, the
>> equal of anything I've tasted other than a small brewery on the
>> Austrian/German border, which by the way was also a lager.
>>
>> Kerry
>
> I don't drink anything anymore. I have already had my share for this
> lifetime :) I was thinking more in terms of Budweiser, Miller, Coors,
> Pabst, etc. than small breweries that know what they're doing.

Even that stuff (I won't call it beer) is good for something. I like it for
the beach or while watching sporting events. You can drink it all day and
not get too drunk. It goes out almost as fast as it goes in :) Good beer
has to be drunk in moderation or the taste is wasted after a while.

Kerry

Alias

> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>
>> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
>>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

>>> You haven't tried any of the American micro brews then. As with any
>>> small production setup some are good and some aren't. Some are very
>>> good, the equal of anything I've tasted other than a small brewery on
>>> the Austrian/German border, which by the way was also a lager.
>>>
>>> Kerry
>>
>> I don't drink anything anymore. I have already had my share for this
>> lifetime :) I was thinking more in terms of Budweiser, Miller, Coors,
>> Pabst, etc. than small breweries that know what they're doing.
>>

> Even that stuff (I won't call it beer) is good for something. I like it
> for the beach or while watching sporting events. You can drink it all day
> and not get too drunk. It goes out almost as fast as it goes in :) Good
> beer has to be drunk in moderation or the taste is wasted after a while.
>
> Kerry

The best lager I have tasted is called Polar and it's the only beer in
Venezuela. What they send to the States as Polar isn't the same. The Vens
imported some German brewers into the country to brew it ages ago.

Alias

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message >>>>>>

> The best lager I have tasted is called Polar and it's the only beer in
> Venezuela. What they send to the States as Polar isn't the same. The Vens
> imported some German brewers into the country to brew it ages ago.

Would that have been right after WW2?

Kerry

Alias

> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message >>>>>>
>>
>> The best lager I have tasted is called Polar and it's the only beer in
>> Venezuela. What they send to the States as Polar isn't the same. The Vens
>> imported some German brewers into the country to brew it ages ago.
>>

> Would that have been right after WW2?
>
> Kerry

No, much later when they got rich on oil and had kicked the Texans out. Some
other Germans went there in the 1800s on a agricultural contract for the
government. Unfortunately for them, by the time their boat got to Venezuela,
there was a new government that wasn't interested. So, they went up into the
mountains and formed their own little town called Colonia Tovar which is a
tourist attraction nowadays.

Cody