Inspiron 700m. Is 12.1" really usable?

I was entrusted by a friend with finding a good notebook for him. He wants
light light light.

Hence the 4.1 pound 700m.

But I'm concerned about the screen.

1. Is it too short

2. how are these things measured? Diagonal? The desktop lcd's are
horizontal measurement.

3. using word on such a beast, is so much of the page cut off vertically,
that the pain of it all is worse than getting the extra horizontal real
estate (at least to /you/ ), I'm looking for opinions.

Thanks!

--
"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
-Thufir Hawat, Mentat and Master of Assassins to House Atreides

Eugene

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

> I was entrusted by a friend with finding a good notebook for him. He
> wants light light light.
>
> Hence the 4.1 pound 700m.
>
> But I'm concerned about the screen.
>
> 1. Is it too short
>
> 2. how are these things measured? Diagonal? The desktop lcd's are
> horizontal measurement.

Desktop LCD's are measured diagonal just like any other desktop monitor and
laptop LCD's are measured diagonal as well.

> 3. using word on such a beast, is so much of the page cut off vertically,
> that the pain of it all is worse than getting the extra horizontal real
> estate (at least to /you/ ), I'm looking for opinions.

What is the resolution on the 700m? I have a Latitude C400 and the
resolution is 1024x768 which is the same 1024x768 as the 14" machine I had
before. I don't use word, but Openoffice and Kword work just fine. With
the smaller pixel size (same number of pixels squeezed into a smaller
space) everything is clearer and crisper, just took a while for my eyes to
adjust to the smaller text.

Only downside I could think of is: remember since the Inspirons are "home"
machines that the case won't be quite are sturdy as the latitude D400. You
may want to compare the two and if you drop off all extras the Latitude may
come out comparable in price.

Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com> coughed up the following:
> Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
>

>> I was entrusted by a friend with finding a good notebook for him. He
>> wants light light light.
>>
>> Hence the 4.1 pound 700m.
>>
>> But I'm concerned about the screen.
>>
>> 1. Is it too short
>>
>> 2. how are these things measured? Diagonal? The desktop lcd's are
>> horizontal measurement.
>>
> Desktop LCD's are measured diagonal just like any other desktop
> monitor and laptop LCD's are measured diagonal as well.

You're right. Don't know where I got that idea.

>> 3. using word on such a beast, is so much of the page cut off
>> vertically, that the pain of it all is worse than getting the extra
>> horizontal real estate (at least to /you/ ), I'm looking for
>> opinions.
>
> What is the resolution on the 700m? I have a Latitude C400 and the
> resolution is 1024x768 which is the same 1024x768 as the 14" machine
> I had before. I don't use word, but Openoffice and Kword work just
> fine. With the smaller pixel size (same number of pixels squeezed
> into a smaller space) everything is clearer and crisper, just took a
> while for my eyes to adjust to the smaller text.

Which isn't an option for many 50 year olds (he's 50). Hmmmm...

There is also a peculiar thing I've discovered since using my sdm-x93 (sony
19" lcd). The dot pitch of the monitors can fall at just the wrong interval
such that text comprised of a single line of pixels (think lower case ell),
is too thin, and two pixel widths are too fat, and anti-aliasing is just not
what looks good on these things.

So, hmmmm..... lessee..... That wide screen is probably a 9:16 ratio?
Let's pretend it is...

sqrt( (9x)^2 + (16x)^2 ) = sqrt(337x^2) = 18.35x

12 inches = 18.35x
x = 0.65 inches
16x wide by 9x high...
So a 12" diagonal 9:16 screen is 10.45 x 5.88 inches

Hmm....that seems pretty freaking awful. You're ok with it though? A
1024x768 screen pretty much puts that at 100dpi horizontal, which is just
fine for screens, but the shear /size/ of the thing is what scares me. Like
you said, he'd have to get used to it.

> Only downside I could think of is: remember since the Inspirons are
> "home" machines that the case won't be quite are sturdy as the
> latitude D400. You may want to compare the two and if you drop off
> all extras the Latitude may come out comparable in price.

Thanks for that. I /did/ notice that already though. As with everything on
the Dell site, they seem to make their money either directly or indirectly
from buy confusion. I've become very good at analyzing every possible
scenario till my eyes bleed.

--
http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just about
/anything/.

Eugene

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

> Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com> coughed up the following:
>> Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
>>

>>> I was entrusted by a friend with finding a good notebook for him. He
>>> wants light light light.
>>>
>>> Hence the 4.1 pound 700m.
>>>
>>> But I'm concerned about the screen.
>>>
>>> 1. Is it too short
>>>
>>> 2. how are these things measured? Diagonal? The desktop lcd's are
>>> horizontal measurement.
>>>
>> Desktop LCD's are measured diagonal just like any other desktop
>> monitor and laptop LCD's are measured diagonal as well.
>
> You're right. Don't know where I got that idea.
>

>>> 3. using word on such a beast, is so much of the page cut off
>>> vertically, that the pain of it all is worse than getting the extra
>>> horizontal real estate (at least to /you/ ), I'm looking for
>>> opinions.
>>
>> What is the resolution on the 700m? I have a Latitude C400 and the
>> resolution is 1024x768 which is the same 1024x768 as the 14" machine
>> I had before. I don't use word, but Openoffice and Kword work just
>> fine. With the smaller pixel size (same number of pixels squeezed
>> into a smaller space) everything is clearer and crisper, just took a
>> while for my eyes to adjust to the smaller text.
>
> Which isn't an option for many 50 year olds (he's 50). Hmmmm...
>
> There is also a peculiar thing I've discovered since using my sdm-x93
> (sony
> 19" lcd). The dot pitch of the monitors can fall at just the wrong
> interval such that text comprised of a single line of pixels (think lower
> case ell), is too thin, and two pixel widths are too fat, and
> anti-aliasing is just not what looks good on these things.
>
> So, hmmmm..... lessee..... That wide screen is probably a 9:16 ratio?
> Let's pretend it is...
>
> sqrt( (9x)^2 + (16x)^2 ) = sqrt(337x^2) = 18.35x
>
> 12 inches = 18.35x
> x = 0.65 inches
> 16x wide by 9x high...
> So a 12" diagonal 9:16 screen is 10.45 x 5.88 inches
>
> Hmm....that seems pretty freaking awful. You're ok with it though? A
> 1024x768 screen pretty much puts that at 100dpi horizontal, which is just
> fine for screens, but the shear /size/ of the thing is what scares me.
> Like you said, he'd have to get used to it.

I think your math co-processor needs recalibrated ;) I measure my 12.1"
C400 and its about 7" 10". Remember an LCD the measurement and the
viewable size is the same, you don't subtract a large border like in a CRT,
thats there in CRT's because the beam focus can't adjust to the very edges.

>> Only downside I could think of is: remember since the Inspirons are
>> "home" machines that the case won't be quite are sturdy as the
>> latitude D400. You may want to compare the two and if you drop off
>> all extras the Latitude may come out comparable in price.
>
> Thanks for that. I /did/ notice that already though. As with everything
> on the Dell site, they seem to make their money either directly or
> indirectly
> from buy confusion. I've become very good at analyzing every possible
> scenario till my eyes bleed.

Also try entering the store as a home user and a small business user, the
cost for my system from a home user was higher. I went the small business
route and my business was "consulting" when asked. I also didn't buy any
extra software since it was useless to me and when presented with the
choice of getting a free 128M ram upgrade or a $100 rebate, I took the
rebate and when I finally received the rebate check I bought a 512M sodimm
for $100 and popped it in.

Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com> coughed up the following:
> Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
>
>> Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com> coughed up the following:

>>> Desktop LCD's are measured diagonal just like any other desktop
>>> monitor and laptop LCD's are measured diagonal as well.
>>
>> You're right. Don't know where I got that idea.

>>> What is the resolution on the 700m? I have a Latitude C400 and the
>>> resolution is 1024x768 which is the same 1024x768 as the 14" machine
>>> I had before. I don't use word, but Openoffice and Kword work just
>>> fine. With the smaller pixel size (same number of pixels squeezed
>>> into a smaller space) everything is clearer and crisper, just took a
>>> while for my eyes to adjust to the smaller text.
>>
>> Which isn't an option for many 50 year olds (he's 50). Hmmmm...
>>
>> There is also a peculiar thing I've discovered since using my sdm-x93
>> (sony
>> 19" lcd). The dot pitch of the monitors can fall at just the wrong
>> interval such that text comprised of a single line of pixels (think
>> lower case ell), is too thin, and two pixel widths are too fat, and
>> anti-aliasing is just not what looks good on these things.
>>
>> So, hmmmm..... lessee..... That wide screen is probably a 9:16
>> ratio? Let's pretend it is...
>>
>> sqrt( (9x)^2 + (16x)^2 ) = sqrt(337x^2) = 18.35x
>>
>> 12 inches = 18.35x
>> x = 0.65 inches
>> 16x wide by 9x high...
>> So a 12" diagonal 9:16 screen is 10.45 x 5.88 inches
>>
>> Hmm....that seems pretty freaking awful. You're ok with it though?
>> A 1024x768 screen pretty much puts that at 100dpi horizontal, which
>> is just fine for screens, but the shear /size/ of the thing is what
>> scares me. Like you said, he'd have to get used to it.
>>
> I think your math co-processor needs recalibrated ;)

The math was fine. I just didn't know the aspect ratio, it was a [wild]
guess from the pic.

> I measure my
> 12.1" C400 and its about 7" 10". Remember an LCD the measurement and
> the viewable size is the same, you don't subtract a large border like
> in a CRT, thats there in CRT's because the beam focus can't adjust to
> the very edges.

Neither here nor there---I'm armed with the 12" number (12.1") from the dell
site.

It just wasn't a 16:9 ratio. You're showing that it is 10:7, which is
/much/ closer to square. Is it really that high? My eyes must be blurry or
something :)

Thanks for the measurments.

> Also try entering the store as a home user and a small business user,

That's the /least/ of the hoops I jump through.

--
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"