bruno

Hi,

I have a problem with my notebooks compaq pressario 1200.

I don't know if I am in the good newsgroup for my question, if it's not the
case I'am sorry for this mail.

I bought my computer six years ago. It works under Windows Me but I would
like to know if it's possible to change my version of Windows ? (I wish to
install Windows NT.)
The problem leads in the fact that it is a notebooks computer and not a
desktop one. I have only two restore-CD which contain all informations for
the installation : Windows and all pilots for the peripherics. In these CD I
cannot identify where is Windows or the pilots : all is installed in one go.
So when I format my disk and try to install another version of Windows (from
a commercial CD of Windows) my peripherics are not recognized and I never
succeded to indentify them or downloading them from internet.

So, I would like to know if it's possible for a notebooks computer to change
its original configuration ?

Thanks in advance for you responses,
Bruno.

hh

Unfortunately Windows NT is not supported on Presarios and Compaq supplies
no drivers for it. The ones on the QuickRestore CD will not work under NT.
HH

"Bruno " <b.baillette@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with my notebooks compaq pressario 1200.
>
> I don't know if I am in the good newsgroup for my question, if it's not
the
> case I'am sorry for this mail.
>
> I bought my computer six years ago. It works under Windows Me but I would
> like to know if it's possible to change my version of Windows ? (I wish to
> install Windows NT.)
> The problem leads in the fact that it is a notebooks computer and not a
> desktop one. I have only two restore-CD which contain all informations for
> the installation : Windows and all pilots for the peripherics. In these CD
> cannot identify where is Windows or the pilots : all is installed in one
go.
> So when I format my disk and try to install another version of Windows
(from
> a commercial CD of Windows) my peripherics are not recognized and I never
> succeded to indentify them or downloading them from internet.
>
> So, I would like to know if it's possible for a notebooks computer to
change
> its original configuration ?
>
> Thanks in advance for you responses,
> Bruno.

If the machine will support NT (3.5 or 4?) you would have to hunt down
the drivers on your own. Then there is the question if there are even
drivers for the peripherals written for NT. I'd recommend you see first if
the hardware will run NT and then if there are drivers supported under NT.
Then and only then would I attempt to change OS.

As for ME, though it is much maligned, I have been able to run it on a
number of older machines (circa 2000) as successfully as any M$ operating
system to date.

KC

"Bruno " <b.baillette@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with my notebooks compaq pressario 1200.
>
> I don't know if I am in the good newsgroup for my question, if it's not
the
> case I'am sorry for this mail.
>
> I bought my computer six years ago. It works under Windows Me but I would
> like to know if it's possible to change my version of Windows ? (I wish to
> install Windows NT.)
> The problem leads in the fact that it is a notebooks computer and not a
> desktop one. I have only two restore-CD which contain all informations for
> the installation : Windows and all pilots for the peripherics. In these CD
> cannot identify where is Windows or the pilots : all is installed in one
go.
> So when I format my disk and try to install another version of Windows
(from
> a commercial CD of Windows) my peripherics are not recognized and I never
> succeded to indentify them or downloading them from internet.
>
> So, I would like to know if it's possible for a notebooks computer to
change
> its original configuration ?
>
> Thanks in advance for you responses,
> Bruno.

bruno

I wanted to say a "mobile" computer and not a "notebooks" one. Sorry for my
english, I'm not english-speaker.

Bruno.

"Bruno " <b.baillette@wanadoo.fr> a écrit dans le message news:
ch0uj4$fka$1@news-reader2.wanadoo.fr...
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with my notebooks compaq pressario 1200.
>
> I don't know if I am in the good newsgroup for my question, if it's not
the
> case I'am sorry for this mail.
>
> I bought my computer six years ago. It works under Windows Me but I would
> like to know if it's possible to change my version of Windows ? (I wish to
> install Windows NT.)
> The problem leads in the fact that it is a notebooks computer and not a
> desktop one. I have only two restore-CD which contain all informations for
> the installation : Windows and all pilots for the peripherics. In these CD
> cannot identify where is Windows or the pilots : all is installed in one
go.
> So when I format my disk and try to install another version of Windows
(from
> a commercial CD of Windows) my peripherics are not recognized and I never
> succeded to indentify them or downloading them from internet.
>
> So, I would like to know if it's possible for a notebooks computer to
change
> its original configuration ?
>
> Thanks in advance for you responses,
> Bruno.

"Bruno " <b.baillette@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>I have a problem with my notebooks compaq pressario 1200.
>
>I don't know if I am in the good newsgroup for my question, if it's not the
>case I'am sorry for this mail.
>
>I bought my computer six years ago. It works under Windows Me but I would
>like to know if it's possible to change my version of Windows ? (I wish to
>install Windows NT.)

I have a Presario 1200 (12XL408A) which came with Windows ME originally.
It is possible to install Windows 2000, but not NT. If you consider
installing W2000, and your Presario is the same or similar model number,
I could tell you which drivers you have to install.

By the way: there was no Win ME 6 years ago, so either the computer did
not come with ME originally, or it is less than 6 years old.

Heiner