XPS T600r upgrade question

I want to upgrade to a P4 2.x ghz - I believe I would need to get a new
motherboard. Is this feasible with the XPS T600r systems?Any information
will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shantanu Sen

If you're a hobbyist who enjoys working with hardware, you might want to
give it a try. The motherboard in your computer is proprietary to Dell, so
you may not be able to get another that fits into the case.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for more computing power, it's
more cost effective to buy a new computer.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Shantanu Sen" <sdsen@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I want to upgrade to a P4 2.x ghz - I believe I would need to get a new
> motherboard. Is this feasible with the XPS T600r systems?Any information
> will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Shantanu Sen

The chassis of the XPS T600r would require serious modifications to use with a
Pentium 4 motherboard, even a Dell-branded one.

First, the Dell power supplies used in the era of the XPS T600r have a
non-standard ATX connector to the motherboard. You'd need a Pentium 4-capable
power supply anyway. The dimensions of the power supply are the same as the
fairly standard power supplies used in generic white box computers.

Second, you would have to pay some attention to the ventilation inside the case.
Pentium 4 processors, memory and graphics are use more transistors which consume
more wattage and generate more heat, even at lower operating voltage.

Third, and most difficult of all, you would have to rewire the leads from the
motherboard to the integrated tiny circuit board on the front of the case. This
circuit board contains the on-off button, hard disk busy LED and the power LED.

Even though these Dell cases are attractive looking, I cannot recommend
converting one. Too much work involved, and too much money, when an
off-the-shelf generic case will do the job with little work... Ben Myers

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:59:40 GMT, "Shantanu Sen" <sdsen@pacbell.net> wrote:

>I want to upgrade to a P4 2.x ghz - I believe I would need to get a new
>motherboard. Is this feasible with the XPS T600r systems?Any information
>will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Shantanu Sen

Thanks for all of your replies. My main goal is to get more computing power
but the P4 3x dell systems that I really like are over $2k and I do not want
to shell out that much at this point. So, I thought that maybe I could
re-use some of the stuff that I have and in the process also satisfy my long
time desire to assemble a pc by hand.

I can now see that I need to start from scratch - so I shall start planning
on getting a case and a motherboard and starting from there.

Thanks,
Shantanu Sen

Well, the Dell systems that you really like may be over $2K, but Dell's
entry-level Dimension 2400, now sale priced at $399 in local newspaper ads, is a
killer computer compared to the XPS T600r.

Still, starting from scratch, you may well be able to build your own 3+GHz
killer computer for under $1K using choice components. Do not cut corners on
either the motherboard quality or the hard drive quality... Ben Myers