F2 bios working but F8 to go to safe mode is not

becast

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012
Hi my friend,

before the blue screen i had windows 7.

I have a sony vaio laptop. After having a blue screen appeared and computer turning off by itself i cant login to safe mode.

I was able to go to f2 bios but not to the advance booting options f8 or shift+f8.

so after tuning off i tried turning on the laptop. sony logo appeared and then theres was a black screen with a small white line blinking and that was the farthest it could go.

So i tried formatting and installing a fresh copy of windows 8 and for my surprise I was able to logon into windows again.

The problem now is, that im still not being able to login into safe mode or adavance booting options.

Can someone help me what can this be?

is there a way to do a complete hardware diagnosis?

Solution
Here are alternate methods to get into Advanced boot options for windows 8:

http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/2012/09/3-ways-to-fire-up-windows-8-advanced-boot-options/

becast

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012

under boot tab theres no safe mode option but there is:
safe boot and if i select it i have to choose another options:
minimal
alternate shell
active directory repair
network

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Those are the same options you would get if f8 was working for you. What you pick depends on what you are trying to fix, you usually cannot fix blue screen errors from safe mode. BSODs are typically due to hardware failure.

becast

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012

so which one is safe mode with networking?

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Maybe a long shot... but...
Can you check to see that the f8 key is actually working? If you have Microsoft word a quick way is use f8 to select text. Shift f8 to de-select the text

becast

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012

Yea i tried f8 key in word and it works. it selects the text

n0rmanz

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015

You can enter f1 to contine then press f8.. just do after press f1 do press f8 quickly i think 1 seconds.