Sign in with
Your question
Solved

F2 bios working but F8 to go to safe mode is not

Last response: in Windows 7
November 19, 2012 2:49:20 PM

Hi my friend,

before the blue screen i had windows 7.

I have a sony vaio laptop. After having a blue screen appeared and computer turning off by itself i cant login to safe mode.

I was able to go to f2 bios but not to the advance booting options f8 or shift+f8.

so after tuning off i tried turning on the laptop. sony logo appeared and then theres was a black screen with a small white line blinking and that was the farthest it could go.

So i tried formatting and installing a fresh copy of windows 8 and for my surprise I was able to logon into windows again.

The problem now is, that im still not being able to login into safe mode or adavance booting options.

Can someone help me what can this be?

is there a way to do a complete hardware diagnosis?

More about : bios working safe mode

a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2012 3:02:07 PM

Hi,
What if you keep Shift pressed and tap repeatedly F8 ?
m
l
November 19, 2012 3:06:36 PM

There is an alternate way to get into safe mode in windows 7 and windows 8 just search "msconfig" under charms bar or windows 7 search function. Then go to the boot tab and select safe mode.
m
l
Related resources
November 19, 2012 3:30:56 PM

shift+f8 not working
m
l
November 19, 2012 3:34:57 PM

mlcaouette said:
There is an alternate way to get into safe mode in windows 7 and windows 8 just search "msconfig" under charms bar or windows 7 search function. Then go to the boot tab and select safe mode.

under boot tab theres no safe mode option but there is:
safe boot and if i select it i have to choose another options:
minimal
alternate shell
active directory repair
network
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2012 3:37:45 PM

i thought safe mode was f5? I typically just spam f5 until i get the menu, then from there (iirc) f8 will open the advanced options menu.
m
l
November 19, 2012 3:51:08 PM

Those are the same options you would get if f8 was working for you. What you pick depends on what you are trying to fix, you usually cannot fix blue screen errors from safe mode. BSODs are typically due to hardware failure.
m
l
November 19, 2012 4:24:36 PM

mlcaouette said:
Those are the same options you would get if f8 was working for you. What you pick depends on what you are trying to fix, you usually cannot fix blue screen errors from safe mode. BSODs are typically due to hardware failure.

so which one is safe mode with networking?
m
l
November 19, 2012 4:33:08 PM

Check the safe mode and the network box below it for safe mode with networking. Keep in mind it will boot to this every time until you go back to msconfig and change it back to normal boot.
m
l
November 19, 2012 6:05:57 PM

yea it worked with the msconfig but i was wondering why is it not working after the sony logo screen?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2012 6:21:21 PM

becast said:
yea it worked with the msconfig but i was wondering why is it not working after the sony logo screen?

Maybe a long shot... but...
Can you check to see that the f8 key is actually working? If you have Microsoft word a quick way is use f8 to select text. Shift f8 to de-select the text
m
l
November 19, 2012 6:52:59 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Maybe a long shot... but...
Can you check to see that the f8 key is actually working? If you have Microsoft word a quick way is use f8 to select text. Shift f8 to de-select the text

Yea i tried f8 key in word and it works. it selects the text
m
l
November 19, 2012 9:44:36 PM

As djscribbles said try using f5. Also if you would try by just repeatedly pressing f8 from the moment you power on the computer, and if that doesn't work repeat with f5.
m
l
November 19, 2012 11:18:57 PM

It's a new feature of Windows 8. Pressing F8 no longer will get you into safe mode. You "have to" use the msconfig option. I read this in an 8 review somewhere and never could figure out why MS did it.
m
l

Best solution

November 19, 2012 11:33:37 PM

Here are alternate methods to get into Advanced boot options for windows 8:

http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/2012/09/3-ways-...
November 20, 2012 11:21:07 AM

good stuf, mlcaouette
m
l
November 20, 2012 1:02:48 PM

Best answer selected by becast.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2012 1:19:26 PM

Nice Mlcaouette. Learn something new everyday :) .
m
l
!