Your question

Windows 7 convert 32 to 64

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
Last response: in Windows 7
November 19, 2012 3:14:29 PM

Hello, i upgraded from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 32 bit, I now need to upgrade to the 64 bit OS. I upgrade box set came with two discs 32/64 bit versions. Can I upgrade using these discs. Booting up with the 64 bit disc does want to do anything except the incompatible oS message. Do I need to by a full version?

Thanks

JT

More about : windows convert

a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2012 3:50:30 PM

You can't use the "upgrade" option when changing architectures (ei. 32bit to 64bit). Although you can use the upgrade media. You need to choose the clean install option instead. This will wipe your drive so make sure to back up any data you need.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2012 3:52:26 PM

There is no upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. You would have to do a new install.
m
l
November 24, 2012 11:36:15 AM

Jeff T said:
Hello, i upgraded from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 32 bit, I now need to upgrade to the 64 bit OS. I upgrade box set came with two discs 32/64 bit versions. Can I upgrade using these discs. Booting up with the 64 bit disc does want to do anything except the incompatible oS message. Do I need to by a full version?

Thanks

JT

Thanks, good to hear that I dont need to buy the full Windows 7 software. I have backed up my data and was happy to do a clean install but on booting up with the 64 bit disc all that happen is I get the incompatable message. Do I boot up with the 32 bit disc then switch after choosing the custom option?
m
l
!