I know it's been asked before, I have two gateway systems, one P-III 800 with
Win 98SE and a P-III 933 with XP Home Edition. Question, what is the largest
IDE hard drive I can put on these machines without having to have more than one
partition on either? I want to remove and preserve the 30gig and 20gig hard
drives respectively without removing or altering any of the data on them, that
way if I ever needed any of that data all I would have to do is just replace
the new drive with the old and vise-Vera. As cheap as drives are nowadays this
is much better then the old backup and I get to keep all drivers and data
intact. Thanks ccrlyles

PS, I'm also thinking about putting XP Home on the 800 system.

I'm fairly certain (I can't remember all this any more) that the BIOS on either
machine can handle hard drives up to 132GB without any problems. If you want to
go higher than 132GB, adding a hard disk controller card is the most foolproof
way to do it.

Win 98SE FDISK has a limit of 32GB on the size of a disk partition. so putting
XP Home on it will raise the limit.

Both systems would run best with at least 256MB, despite all the name-brand
manufacturers selling entry-level 128MB new systems.

Given the somewhat small difference in price between buying XP Home AND a large
hard drive AND a disk controller card and simply buying an entire new system
(without monitor), why not consider replacing the 800MHz system? Of course, it
all depends on how large of a hard drive you would install... Ben Myers

On 30 Aug 2004 19:36:59 GMT, ccrlyles@aol.com (Ccrlyles) wrote:

>I know it's been asked before, I have two gateway systems, one P-III 800 with
>Win 98SE and a P-III 933 with XP Home Edition. Question, what is the largest
>IDE hard drive I can put on these machines without having to have more than one
>partition on either? I want to remove and preserve the 30gig and 20gig hard
>drives respectively without removing or altering any of the data on them, that
>way if I ever needed any of that data all I would have to do is just replace
>the new drive with the old and vise-Vera. As cheap as drives are nowadays this
>is much better then the old backup and I get to keep all drivers and data
>intact. Thanks ccrlyles
>

>PS, I'm also thinking about putting XP Home on the 800 system.

Scott

Ben,

I'm getting a used GW E-3400 with Win XP installed. I will want to put a
WD 200GB hard drive on this system. Will the BIOS be the limiting factor,
requiring a controller card...rather than XP?

Thanks!
Scott

Ben Myers wrote:

> I'm fairly certain (I can't remember all this any more) that the BIOS on either
> machine can handle hard drives up to 132GB without any problems. If you want to
> go higher than 132GB, adding a hard disk controller card is the most foolproof
> way to do it.
>
> Win 98SE FDISK has a limit of 32GB on the size of a disk partition. so putting
> XP Home on it will raise the limit.
>
> Both systems would run best with at least 256MB, despite all the name-brand
> manufacturers selling entry-level 128MB new systems.
>
> Given the somewhat small difference in price between buying XP Home AND a large
> hard drive AND a disk controller card and simply buying an entire new system
> (without monitor), why not consider replacing the 800MHz system? Of course, it
> all depends on how large of a hard drive you would install... Ben Myers
>
> On 30 Aug 2004 19:36:59 GMT, ccrlyles@aol.com (Ccrlyles) wrote:
>
> >I know it's been asked before, I have two gateway systems, one P-III 800 with
> >Win 98SE and a P-III 933 with XP Home Edition. Question, what is the largest
> >IDE hard drive I can put on these machines without having to have more than one
> >partition on either? I want to remove and preserve the 30gig and 20gig hard
> >drives respectively without removing or altering any of the data on them, that
> >way if I ever needed any of that data all I would have to do is just replace
> >the new drive with the old and vise-Vera. As cheap as drives are nowadays this
> >is much better then the old backup and I get to keep all drivers and data
> >intact. Thanks ccrlyles
> >

> >PS, I'm also thinking about putting XP Home on the 800 system.

Scott

Ben,

Or, would partitioning the 200GB drive into partitions smaller than 132GB
do the job without a controller card?

Scott

Scott wrote:

> Ben,
>
> I'm getting a used GW E-3400 with Win XP installed. I will want to put a
> WD 200GB hard drive on this system. Will the BIOS be the limiting factor,
> requiring a controller card...rather than XP?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott
>
> Ben Myers wrote:
>
> > I'm fairly certain (I can't remember all this any more) that the BIOS on either
> > machine can handle hard drives up to 132GB without any problems. If you want to
> > go higher than 132GB, adding a hard disk controller card is the most foolproof
> > way to do it.
> >
> > Win 98SE FDISK has a limit of 32GB on the size of a disk partition. so putting
> > XP Home on it will raise the limit.
> >
> > Both systems would run best with at least 256MB, despite all the name-brand
> > manufacturers selling entry-level 128MB new systems.
> >
> > Given the somewhat small difference in price between buying XP Home AND a large
> > hard drive AND a disk controller card and simply buying an entire new system
> > (without monitor), why not consider replacing the 800MHz system? Of course, it
> > all depends on how large of a hard drive you would install... Ben Myers
> >
> > On 30 Aug 2004 19:36:59 GMT, ccrlyles@aol.com (Ccrlyles) wrote:
> >
> > >I know it's been asked before, I have two gateway systems, one P-III 800 with
> > >Win 98SE and a P-III 933 with XP Home Edition. Question, what is the largest
> > >IDE hard drive I can put on these machines without having to have more than one
> > >partition on either? I want to remove and preserve the 30gig and 20gig hard
> > >drives respectively without removing or altering any of the data on them, that
> > >way if I ever needed any of that data all I would have to do is just replace
> > >the new drive with the old and vise-Vera. As cheap as drives are nowadays this
> > >is much better then the old backup and I get to keep all drivers and data
> > >intact. Thanks ccrlyles
> > >

> > >PS, I'm also thinking about putting XP Home on the 800 system.

Thanks, Ben

I wanted to put and 80 gb hd on both machines, They have 384mb and 512mb of
memory respectively, I just wanted to know if I would have to have more than
one partition on these drives. If I understand you, the 800 with 98SE would
require at least 3 partitions and the XP wouldn't require any? ccrlyles

Yes, that's my understanding of the limitations... Ben Myers

On 30 Aug 2004 22:09:57 GMT, ccrlyles@aol.com (Ccrlyles) wrote:

>Thanks, Ben
>
> I wanted to put and 80 gb hd on both machines, They have 384mb and 512mb of
>memory respectively, I just wanted to know if I would have to have more than
>one partition on these drives. If I understand you, the 800 with 98SE would
>require at least 3 partitions and the XP wouldn't require any? ccrlyles

Scott,

The BIOS would be the limitation on being able to accept a 200GB drive. Unless
you went to Linux... Ben Myers

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:52:32 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>Ben,
>
>I'm getting a used GW E-3400 with Win XP installed. I will want to put a
>WD 200GB hard drive on this system. Will the BIOS be the limiting factor,
>requiring a controller card...rather than XP?
>
>Thanks!
>Scott
>
>Ben Myers wrote:
>
>> I'm fairly certain (I can't remember all this any more) that the BIOS on either
>> machine can handle hard drives up to 132GB without any problems. If you want to
>> go higher than 132GB, adding a hard disk controller card is the most foolproof
>> way to do it.
>>
>> Win 98SE FDISK has a limit of 32GB on the size of a disk partition. so putting
>> XP Home on it will raise the limit.
>>
>> Both systems would run best with at least 256MB, despite all the name-brand
>> manufacturers selling entry-level 128MB new systems.
>>
>> Given the somewhat small difference in price between buying XP Home AND a large
>> hard drive AND a disk controller card and simply buying an entire new system
>> (without monitor), why not consider replacing the 800MHz system? Of course, it
>> all depends on how large of a hard drive you would install... Ben Myers
>>
>> On 30 Aug 2004 19:36:59 GMT, ccrlyles@aol.com (Ccrlyles) wrote:
>>
>> >I know it's been asked before, I have two gateway systems, one P-III 800 with
>> >Win 98SE and a P-III 933 with XP Home Edition. Question, what is the largest
>> >IDE hard drive I can put on these machines without having to have more than one
>> >partition on either? I want to remove and preserve the 30gig and 20gig hard
>> >drives respectively without removing or altering any of the data on them, that
>> >way if I ever needed any of that data all I would have to do is just replace
>> >the new drive with the old and vise-Vera. As cheap as drives are nowadays this
>> >is much better then the old backup and I get to keep all drivers and data
>> >intact. Thanks ccrlyles
>> >

>> >PS, I'm also thinking about putting XP Home on the 800 system.

Scott

Ben,

Okay, I'll add a controller card. That's simple enough.

Scott

Ben Myers wrote:

> Scott,
>
> The BIOS would be the limitation on being able to accept a 200GB drive. Unless
> you went to Linux... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:52:32 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
>
> >Ben,
> >
> >I'm getting a used GW E-3400 with Win XP installed. I will want to put a
> >WD 200GB hard drive on this system. Will the BIOS be the limiting factor,
> >requiring a controller card...rather than XP?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >Scott
> >
> >Ben Myers wrote:
> >
> >> I'm fairly certain (I can't remember all this any more) that the BIOS on either
> >> machine can handle hard drives up to 132GB without any problems. If you want to
> >> go higher than 132GB, adding a hard disk controller card is the most foolproof
> >> way to do it.
> >>
> >> Win 98SE FDISK has a limit of 32GB on the size of a disk partition. so putting
> >> XP Home on it will raise the limit.
> >>
> >> Both systems would run best with at least 256MB, despite all the name-brand
> >> manufacturers selling entry-level 128MB new systems.
> >>
> >> Given the somewhat small difference in price between buying XP Home AND a large
> >> hard drive AND a disk controller card and simply buying an entire new system
> >> (without monitor), why not consider replacing the 800MHz system? Of course, it
> >> all depends on how large of a hard drive you would install... Ben Myers

TRENDING THREADS