Power Supply Replacement

I have a Gateway Performance 1700 that just ended it's 3 year warrenty
in June. The power supply is part number 6500652. It's been replaced
3 times by Gateway throughout the warrenty. The last time was in
January of 2003. The fan has started making loud noises which is the
same problem the previous ones had.

Since I'm out of warrenty now, I need to replace it with a new one.
Hopefully one that's a better quality then the ones Gateway has been
sending me. Is it possible to get one that will fit in my case
without having to make any adjustments to the case? The case is St.
Francis Mid-tower Case Revision 3 [Part #3501008].

I'd appreciate some suggestions on where to buy the power supply from.

Thank you.

Antec power supplies have an excellent reputation and are not too expensive. At
least one Antec model comes with a 3-pin lead that attaches to the motherboard,
so that the motherboard can control the fan inside the power supply, cutting its
speed when the system is cool. But if your motherboard does not have a spare
3-pin fan connector, this model of Antec would not work out for you.

PC Power & Cooling makes premium-priced power supplies, but they are first-rate.

Just out of curiousity, what is the brand-name of the power supply with which
you have had a bad experience? I'd like to put it on my list to avoid.
Gateway, like other name brands, chose some good quality power supply
manufacturers and some mediocre ones... Ben Myers

On 24 Aug 2004 12:03:43 -0700, iqmgt@yahoo.com (IQMGT) wrote:

>I have a Gateway Performance 1700 that just ended it's 3 year warrenty
>in June. The power supply is part number 6500652. It's been replaced
>3 times by Gateway throughout the warrenty. The last time was in
>January of 2003. The fan has started making loud noises which is the
>same problem the previous ones had.
>
>Since I'm out of warrenty now, I need to replace it with a new one.
>Hopefully one that's a better quality then the ones Gateway has been
>sending me. Is it possible to get one that will fit in my case
>without having to make any adjustments to the case? The case is St.
>Francis Mid-tower Case Revision 3 [Part #3501008].
>
>I'd appreciate some suggestions on where to buy the power supply from.
>
>Thank you.

The first 2 power supplies were a Newton and the model number was
NPS-250CB A. I'll check the current one for you when I open the case
later today.

I do have one 3 pin connector available. According to the support
docs it says this:

"This fan connector provides +12-volt (V) DC service.
A fan used to cool the voltage regulators could be connected here, if
provided."

So that would work with the Antec model you mentioned, right?

IQMGT

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<412bcf3f.36519000@news.charter.net>...
> Antec power supplies have an excellent reputation and are not too expensive. At
> least one Antec model comes with a 3-pin lead that attaches to the motherboard,
> so that the motherboard can control the fan inside the power supply, cutting its
> speed when the system is cool. But if your motherboard does not have a spare
> 3-pin fan connector, this model of Antec would not work out for you.
>
> PC Power & Cooling makes premium-priced power supplies, but they are first-rate.
>
> Just out of curiousity, what is the brand-name of the power supply with which
> you have had a bad experience? I'd like to put it on my list to avoid.
> Gateway, like other name brands, chose some good quality power supply
> manufacturers and some mediocre ones... Ben Myers

When I see Newton power supplies turning up in eMachines and HP Pavilions, I
know that Newton power supplies are not among the high quality ones in this
world.

Using a specific model of Antec power supply is not absolutely necessary. I was
just alerting you to the possibility that some models of power supply may not
work with your motherboard if the right power connector was not available. More
important are the mounting bolt pattern for the power supply (measured between
centers of the mounting screws), the depth of the power supply (some cases
require power supplies that are not as deep), and the wattage, with 300w being
the usual recommended wattage. With some Gateway systems, there is a small
chute to guide the airflow out of the power supply across the processor and
processor heat sink. This may be important if the processor does not have its
own cooling fan.

I hope this helps... Ben Myers

On 25 Aug 2004 11:05:34 -0700, iqmgt@yahoo.com (IQMGT) wrote:

>The first 2 power supplies were a Newton and the model number was
>NPS-250CB A. I'll check the current one for you when I open the case
>later today.
>
>I do have one 3 pin connector available. According to the support
>docs it says this:
>
>"This fan connector provides +12-volt (V) DC service.
>A fan used to cool the voltage regulators could be connected here, if
>provided."
>
>So that would work with the Antec model you mentioned, right?
>
>IQMGT
>

>ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<412bcf3f.36519000@news.charter.net>...
>> Antec power supplies have an excellent reputation and are not too expensive. At
>> least one Antec model comes with a 3-pin lead that attaches to the motherboard,
>> so that the motherboard can control the fan inside the power supply, cutting its
>> speed when the system is cool. But if your motherboard does not have a spare
>> 3-pin fan connector, this model of Antec would not work out for you.
>>
>> PC Power & Cooling makes premium-priced power supplies, but they are first-rate.
>>
>> Just out of curiousity, what is the brand-name of the power supply with which
>> you have had a bad experience? I'd like to put it on my list to avoid.
>> Gateway, like other name brands, chose some good quality power supply
>> manufacturers and some mediocre ones... Ben Myers

One last question.

My case has the no-tools clip securing the power supply. Will a
standard power supply fit in there as long as the dimensions are
correct or will I have to drill into the case? I see that the clip on
the power supply is screwed on. Can that be transfered to a new power
supply? If not, does any one sell power supplies that will fit there?
I'd prefer not to drill if I don't have to.

Btw, the power supply in there now is also a Newton. Just a newer
model than the first 2.

IQMGT

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<412ce0a6.19492091@news.charter.net>...
> When I see Newton power supplies turning up in eMachines and HP Pavilions, I
> know that Newton power supplies are not among the high quality ones in this
> world.
>
> Using a specific model of Antec power supply is not absolutely necessary. I was
> just alerting you to the possibility that some models of power supply may not
> work with your motherboard if the right power connector was not available. More
> important are the mounting bolt pattern for the power supply (measured between
> centers of the mounting screws), the depth of the power supply (some cases
> require power supplies that are not as deep), and the wattage, with 300w being
> the usual recommended wattage. With some Gateway systems, there is a small
> chute to guide the airflow out of the power supply across the processor and
> processor heat sink. This may be important if the processor does not have its
> own cooling fan.
>
> I hope this helps... Ben Myers

I'm not sure. Does the chassis have either three or four holes for power supply
mounting screws? ... Ben Myers

On 28 Aug 2004 13:11:08 -0700, iqmgt@yahoo.com (IQMGT) wrote:

>One last question.
>
>My case has the no-tools clip securing the power supply. Will a
>standard power supply fit in there as long as the dimensions are
>correct or will I have to drill into the case? I see that the clip on
>the power supply is screwed on. Can that be transfered to a new power
>supply? If not, does any one sell power supplies that will fit there?
> I'd prefer not to drill if I don't have to.
>
>Btw, the power supply in there now is also a Newton. Just a newer
>model than the first 2.
>
>IQMGT
>

>ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<412ce0a6.19492091@news.charter.net>...
>> When I see Newton power supplies turning up in eMachines and HP Pavilions, I
>> know that Newton power supplies are not among the high quality ones in this
>> world.
>>
>> Using a specific model of Antec power supply is not absolutely necessary. I was
>> just alerting you to the possibility that some models of power supply may not
>> work with your motherboard if the right power connector was not available. More
>> important are the mounting bolt pattern for the power supply (measured between
>> centers of the mounting screws), the depth of the power supply (some cases
>> require power supplies that are not as deep), and the wattage, with 300w being
>> the usual recommended wattage. With some Gateway systems, there is a small
>> chute to guide the airflow out of the power supply across the processor and
>> processor heat sink. This may be important if the processor does not have its
>> own cooling fan.
>>
>> I hope this helps... Ben Myers

Nope there are no holes. Just the the holes that the clip on the
power supply slides into and the retainer clip that secures the power
supply.

IQMGT

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<4130ecc1.4016417@news.charter.net>...
> I'm not sure. Does the chassis have either three or four holes for power supply
> mounting screws? ... Ben Myers
>
> On 28 Aug 2004 13:11:08 -0700, iqmgt@yahoo.com (IQMGT) wrote:
>
> >One last question.
> >
> >My case has the no-tools clip securing the power supply. Will a
> >standard power supply fit in there as long as the dimensions are
> >correct or will I have to drill into the case? I see that the clip on
> >the power supply is screwed on. Can that be transfered to a new power
> >supply? If not, does any one sell power supplies that will fit there?
> > I'd prefer not to drill if I don't have to.
> >
> >Btw, the power supply in there now is also a Newton. Just a newer
> >model than the first 2.
> >
> >IQMGT

Gateway has used many different types of computer chassis. Without either
hands-on or excellent detailed photos, I am at a loss as to what to suggest.

.... Ben Myers

On 29 Aug 2004 22:27:57 -0700, iqmgt@yahoo.com (IQMGT) wrote:

>Nope there are no holes. Just the the holes that the clip on the
>power supply slides into and the retainer clip that secures the power
>supply.
>
>IQMGT
>
>ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<4130ecc1.4016417@news.charter.net>...
>> I'm not sure. Does the chassis have either three or four holes for power supply
>> mounting screws? ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On 28 Aug 2004 13:11:08 -0700, iqmgt@yahoo.com (IQMGT) wrote:
>>
>> >One last question.
>> >
>> >My case has the no-tools clip securing the power supply. Will a
>> >standard power supply fit in there as long as the dimensions are
>> >correct or will I have to drill into the case? I see that the clip on
>> >the power supply is screwed on. Can that be transfered to a new power
>> >supply? If not, does any one sell power supplies that will fit there?
>> > I'd prefer not to drill if I don't have to.
>> >
>> >Btw, the power supply in there now is also a Newton. Just a newer
>> >model than the first 2.
>> >
>> >IQMGT

You will not find a retail power supply that will accept the no-tools clip
without modification. The 400 watt Zalman was the closest that I found for
my Gateway, but looking back I don't think it was worth the trouble. I
would recommend picking a good power supply of the same dimensions and drill
the rear of the case for mounting screws and be done with it. Be sure you
also pick a power supply where any protrusions on the rear will not
interfere with the opening in the case. On mine I had to remove part of the
mounting tab of the power cord bracket.

Frank