PCI card for HP Scanjet 4c

terceiro

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I am changing to a new computer and can not use my Adaptec SCSI card because it is an old EISA card.

I need a PCI card for my new computer to support hy HP Scanjet 4c scanner.

Don't want to spend a great deal but don't want to toss the scanner.

I was looking at Adaptec, but they don't make the card anymore.

Was concerned about buying any card from small web sites. Don't know what I'd be getting.

Looked at Amazon.com and Buy.com but they pass it off to sites I never heard of.

Anyone know which Adaptec card would be best (trust their brand) and where I could get one for about $50 or less??

Thanks

Solution

Those are highly outdated specs you want to keep, you haven't looked as scanner in some years it looks like. http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=44&name=Scanner-Flatbed-Scanners

There are $50 scanners that have 2-3 times...
G

Probably best looking for used Adaptec PCI cards as they tend to work with Windows. I've had no driver issues with the simple 2940 models bought secondhand for a few dollars.

You can get a new and better scanner for around $50 if not a bit more. If you are really in love with your scanner, as fihart said, you can find some used cards on ebay or craigslist. If you are going to buy a new interface card, get a new scanner instead. You can buy an all-in-one priter/scanner/fax with good quality for $100 that will have 2-3 times the resoution of your scanner.

G

I'd also go with the above advice about buying a new USB scanner rather than sticking with the old HP SCSI unit -- except I wouldn't buy an all in one unit because they are so complicated and tend to be built down to a price.

I would avoid HP -- I'm much more impressed with Epson's software and Canon's hardware.

terceiro

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010

I know I can buy a new scanner, however, I like the native 600 DPI resolution of this scanner and the 2400 DPI resolution availble for handling 35mm slides.

I $50 investment is worth keeping this $1000 scanner. It is old but works well.

I am simply trying to find a SCSI card which is compatible. The older Adaptec 2906 would work but is not being manufactured. I have found some on-line but I am also trying to determine if there is a CURRENT card which will work for me.

Thanks anyway!

G

SCSI has kind of died since Apple dropped it -- it was that that put a lot of SCSI scanners (like the Epsons I have) into dumpsters.

So I think your best bet is the Adaptec range, secondhand.

Those are highly outdated specs you want to keep, you haven't looked as scanner in some years it looks like. http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=44&name=Scanner-Flatbed-Scanners

There are $50 scanners that have 2-3 times the dpi of yours.

Solution

terceiro

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010

You are right. Haven't checked specs in years. I hate to throw this out, but you're right. I can get better resolution and easy conection for less money than I would pay for the card.

Thanks.

I'm old, and slow, but grateful!