Silent keyboards, do they exist?

a_drone

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I'm soon having to type quite a lot. But one thing that drives me crazy about every keyboard I use is how loud they are. I mean the actual noise of the keys as they're pressed. I currently have one that I consider bearable, although the space bar sounds like a transformer robot unfolding, when pressed in rapid succession...

I'm in the market for a new keyboard. One that's immensely silent.

I've considered those fold-up keyboards but they're crap to type with. Professional court room keyboards are far too expensive.

I don't really care about media buttons and such. Illuminated keys would be nice tho.

Thanks in advance!

Try this http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=lenovo+keyboard&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=12957121682293152801&ei=BdAYTdmrHIGBlAeR8JzeCw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CDAQ8gIwAQ#

You need to find keyboards that use a laptop-style key mechanism. They allow pretty good typing speed and are much quieter than normal keyboards.

y2kgtp

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
What about this Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard ?
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?type=id&q=d208423&ru=28903206
Good stuff for sure. It might worth u a peek. Hope u find the best bet.

I have to agree on this one. Just bought it for my mother-in-law. It is the quietest keyboard I have tried. I would have one for myself, but I really prefer the Mini keyboards without the number pad on the right. Still looking.....

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Most of the sound from the keyboard is produced when the key bounces back up.

Rubber membrane keyboards with scissor springs (aka laptop keys) have very little travel since they are thin so they produce very little noise.

Mechanical switching keys are have a better feel and better build. They are quite expensive but feel the best to type on. There are different types of mechanical keys with different depression profiles represented by a color. Cherry Red keys require very little actuation force and has a straight depression. Very easy to type on, much like laptop keys but have a full depression like a normal keybard. There are cherry brown and blue keys but they click which makes a noise but feels amazing to type on, not very quiet though.

The quietest keyboard is one of those roll up rubber keyboards but they feel terrible to type on.
Or those infrared sensors that projects a keyboard onto a surface and you just press your fingers against the table, probably the worst surface to type on but very very quiet indeed.