More about batch file execution problems

    From: "Brad Morris" <bradmorris@mchsi.com>

    | Can anyone tell me why this batch file won't load each of the files in
    | order?
    |
    | It doesnt seem to do anything (other than a command line propmpt flashes on
    | the screen and disappears BUT nothing loads).
    |
    | ::start.bat
    | ::starts multiple programs
    | ::
    | @echo off
    |
    | START"""C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    | START"""C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    | START"""C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    |
    | Thanks

    Change it to...

    @echo off
    START /wait "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    START /wait "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    START /wait "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"

    The above will run each utility one at a time. The second won't start until the first one
    ends and the third won't start until the second one ends.

    If you don't want to wait between each utility being loaded...

    @echo off
    START /min "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    START /min "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    START /min "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    I must be doing something wrong or ... I want each of these to load into
    windows. What happens when I run the following batch recommended by Dave
    (Thanks Dave for your reply) is that a DOS window opens up and On the top
    bar of this new window it will say <path\Program Name>
    next line drops down to a c:\documents and Settings\Brad Morris\Desktop>
    prompt and nothing happens.
    I have two other Dos prompts for each of the other programs on my task bar
    at the bottom and they are doing nothing either.
    Any other suggestions? (Running WinXP PRO)

    > From: "Brad Morris" <bradmorris@mchsi.com>
    >
    > | Can anyone tell me why this batch file won't load each of the files in
    > | order?
    > |
    > | It doesnt seem to do anything (other than a command line propmpt flashes
    > on
    > | the screen and disappears BUT nothing loads).
    > |
    > | ::start.bat
    > | ::starts multiple programs
    > | ::
    > | @echo off
    > |
    > | START"""C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    > | START"""C:\Program Files\PC Magazine
    > Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    > | START"""C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > |

    > Change it to...
    >
    > @echo off
    > START /wait "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    > START /wait "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine
    > Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    > START /wait "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    >
    > The above will run each utility one at a time. The second won't start
    > until the first one
    > ends and the third won't start until the second one ends.
    >
    > If you don't want to wait between each utility being loaded...
    >
    > @echo off
    > START /min "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    > START /min "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine
    > Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    > START /min "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    On 9/6/2005 6:39 PM On a whim, Brad Morris pounded out on the keyboard

    > I must be doing something wrong or ... I want each of these to load into
    > windows. What happens when I run the following batch recommended by Dave
    > (Thanks Dave for your reply) is that a DOS window opens up and On the top
    > bar of this new window it will say <path\Program Name>
    > next line drops down to a c:\documents and Settings\Brad Morris\Desktop>
    > prompt and nothing happens.
    > I have two other Dos prompts for each of the other programs on my task bar
    > at the bottom and they are doing nothing either.
    > Any other suggestions? (Running WinXP PRO)

    >> From: "Brad Morris" <bradmorris@mchsi.com>
    >>
    >> | Can anyone tell me why this batch file won't load each of the files in
    >> | order?
    >> |
    >> | It doesnt seem to do anything (other than a command line propmpt flashes
    >> on
    >> | the screen and disappears BUT nothing loads).
    >> |
    >> | ::start.bat
    >> | ::starts multiple programs
    >> | ::
    >> | @echo off
    >> |
    >> | START"""C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    >> | START"""C:\Program Files\PC Magazine
    >> Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    >> | START"""C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    >> |
    >> | Thanks
    >> |

    >> Change it to...
    >>
    >> @echo off
    >> START /wait "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    >> START /wait "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine
    >> Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    >> START /wait "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    >>
    >> The above will run each utility one at a time. The second won't start
    >> until the first one
    >> ends and the third won't start until the second one ends.
    >>
    >> If you don't want to wait between each utility being loaded...
    >>
    >> @echo off
    >> START /min "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    >> START /min "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine
    >> Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    >> START /min "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dave
    >> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    >> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Are you putting spaces between? Your first line of:
    START"""C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    would fail because there isn't any spaces separating the command and
    parameters, i.e.
    START "" "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"

    See if that isn't your problem.

    --
    Terry

    ***Reply Note***

    From: "Brad Morris" <bradmorris@mchsi.com>

    | I must be doing something wrong or ... I want each of these to load into
    | windows. What happens when I run the following batch recommended by Dave
    | (Thanks Dave for your reply) is that a DOS window opens up and On the top
    | bar of this new window it will say <path\Program Name>
    | next line drops down to a c:\documents and Settings\Brad Morris\Desktop>
    | prompt and nothing happens.
    | I have two other Dos prompts for each of the other programs on my task bar
    | at the bottom and they are doing nothing either.
    | Any other suggestions? (Running WinXP PRO)

    I wish I understood that :-(

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Hi,

    Try it this way:

    ::start.bat
    ::starts multiple programs
    ::
    @echo off

    START "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    START "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    START "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    From: "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>

    | Hi,
    |
    | Try it this way:
    |
    | ::start.bat
    | ::starts multiple programs
    | ::
    | @echo off
    |
    | START "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    | START "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    | START "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    |
    | --
    | Best of Luck,
    |
    | Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    | http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    | Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    | www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    | Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Q:
    If that were the case, since the files are all EXE files, why even use the START command ?

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    thatks to all that responded.
    I tried them all and variations of each. Here is what finally worked.

    @echo off
    START "QVSB4 Process" "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder
    4\qvsb4.exe"
    wait 7
    START "WinPointer" "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine
    Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    wait 5
    START "WPWin12" "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office
    12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    wait 7

    Steve Shattuck sent me email that said:
    The /WAIT parameter waits until the program loads, executes and closes.
    Since these program don't close, only the first program would be loaded amd
    the batch file would never finish. You need to download a third-party wait
    program and play with the interval to achieve what you want. Scan Google
    for wait.exe (833 hits), and download one.

    I downloaded this file, put it in my Windows folder and it works!

    Again, thanks to all

    "Brad Morris" <bradmorris@mchsi.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me why this batch file won't load each of the files in
    > order?
    >
    > It doesnt seem to do anything (other than a command line propmpt flashes
    > on the screen and disappears BUT nothing loads).
    >

    > ::start.bat
    > ::starts multiple programs
    > ::
    > @echo off
    >
    > START"""C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    > START"""C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    > START"""C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    >

    > Thanks

    Without the "start", the subsequent (2nd, 3rd, etc.) programs won't open
    until the first one is closed.

    From: "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>

    | Without the "start", the subsequent (2nd, 3rd, etc.) programs won't open
    | until the first one is closed.
    |
    | --
    | Best of Luck,
    |
    | Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    | http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    | Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    | www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    | Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    I see... Thanx.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:20:07 -0500 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Brad Morris favored us with...
    > Can anyone tell me why this batch file won't load each of the files in
    > order?
    > START"""C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    > START"""C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    > START"""C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"

    START "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    and similarly for the other two. You need that space to separate the
    command from its argument.

    Please, in future, don't start a new thread when you're following up
    on an old problem. It's confusing -- especially when to a quick scan
    your article doesn't look all that different from your original
    query.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

    > I must be doing something wrong or ... I want each of these to load into
    > windows. What happens when I run the following batch recommended by Dave
    > (Thanks Dave for your reply) is that a DOS window opens up and On the top
    > bar of this new window it will say <path\Program Name>
    > next line drops down to a c:\documents and Settings\Brad Morris\Desktop>
    > prompt and nothing happens.
    > I have two other Dos prompts for each of the other programs on my task bar
    > at the bottom and they are doing nothing either.
    > Any other suggestions? (Running WinXP PRO)

    > > From: "Brad Morris" <bradmorris@mchsi.com>
    > >
    > > | Can anyone tell me why this batch file won't load each of the files in
    > > | order?
    > > |
    > > | It doesnt seem to do anything (other than a command line propmpt
    flashes
    > > on
    > > | the screen and disappears BUT nothing loads).
    > > |
    > > | ::start.bat
    > > | ::starts multiple programs
    > > | ::
    > > | @echo off
    > > |
    > > | START"""C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    > > | START"""C:\Program Files\PC Magazine
    > > Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    > > | START"""C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    > > |
    > > | Thanks
    > > |

    > > Change it to...
    > >
    > > @echo off
    > > START /wait "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    > > START /wait "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine
    > > Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    > > START /wait "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office
    12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"

    > > The above will run each utility one at a time. The second won't start
    > > until the first one
    > > ends and the third won't start until the second one ends.
    > >
    > > If you don't want to wait between each utility being loaded...
    > >
    > > @echo off
    > > START /min "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    > > START /min "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine
    > > Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    > > START /min "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    > >
    > > --
    > > Dave
    > > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    > > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Try this modified version of David's batch file:

    @echo off
    START /wait "QVSB4 Process" "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder
    4\qvsb4.exe"
    START /wait "WinPointer" "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine
    Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    START /wait "WPWin12" "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office
    12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"

    Your problem occurred because the first string between quotes is supposed
    to be the process name. Type start /? for full details.

Microsoft Command Line Windows XP