Recovery to new drive format?

So, my SSD that has my windows partition on it died. So, I pretty much need to do a image restore from the windows back up program. I have an image that's only a week old and there isn't anything that recent that I can't live without. I have the new drive ready, but I'm sort of confused with the process. Do I need to first format and partition this new drive, or will the image restore do that for me as part of the process? I could do a format on another machine and move it over, but I'm not clear if that's a good idea or not. Any suggestions? Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about recovery drive format
  1. Well, for what's it worth, the Windows backup was not that helpful. I clearly have a drive failure in progress, and all attempts to do a complete image failed because the drive would disappear before they were finished. So, using the backups I had, I tried to reimage a new drive which worked, but then I couldn't get it to restore the program files, which were more recent. (The image was about 6 months old, but the files backup was a week old and nothing new was lost.) It wouldn't accept the files as being part of the same backup set, so I couldn't get it to restore. So.... clean install time. Lesson learned with no data loss as I pay the price in wasted time. I have now switched to True Image as my back up method.
  2. Hi there,

In order to retrieve your image, then You need to have recovery tool to recover the data from SSD Drive.
  3. andrew83 said:
    Hi there,

In order to retrieve your image, then You need to have recovery tool to recover the data from SSD Drive.

I had that. The problem was Windows recovery refused to recognize the subsequent data saves (non-system image) as being part of the same system.
Ask a new question

Read More

Data Recovery Partition Format Windows 7