Recovery to new drive format?

ddo2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
So, my SSD that has my windows partition on it died. So, I pretty much need to do a image restore from the windows back up program. I have an image that's only a week old and there isn't anything that recent that I can't live without. I have the new drive ready, but I'm sort of confused with the process. Do I need to first format and partition this new drive, or will the image restore do that for me as part of the process? I could do a format on another machine and move it over, but I'm not clear if that's a good idea or not. Any suggestions? Thanks.

ddo2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Well, for what's it worth, the Windows backup was not that helpful. I clearly have a drive failure in progress, and all attempts to do a complete image failed because the drive would disappear before they were finished. So, using the backups I had, I tried to reimage a new drive which worked, but then I couldn't get it to restore the program files, which were more recent. (The image was about 6 months old, but the files backup was a week old and nothing new was lost.) It wouldn't accept the files as being part of the same backup set, so I couldn't get it to restore. So.... clean install time. Lesson learned with no data loss as I pay the price in wasted time. I have now switched to True Image as my back up method.

ddo2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

I had that. The problem was Windows recovery refused to recognize the subsequent data saves (non-system image) as being part of the same system.