New Laptop Needed, budget open...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooredaan

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
1. What is your budget?
< $2000 (cheaper the better)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

~ <= 16" but > 13"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

> 1366x768 (tougher to find than I thought)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Combo. I currently have 17" dell, but would like to downsize a tad to be able to carry around easier, but not a big issue.

5. How much battery life do you need?

2 hrs or more

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Not really, but maybe the new Starcraft... Medium or high setting.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Lots of photo editing and desktop publishing (Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) some video, but more just for fun... Yes to watching movies/shows.

8. How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

Semi indifferent as I usually will switch out my HDD to a SDD when they become cheaper. I'm not afraid to play around inside of a laptop most of the time.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Not really.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

~4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Optional (not needed), but Bluray would be nice, but I can always get an external one down the road.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I'm pretty open. I have had Dell, Sony, Apple before. I'd like to get a Windows machine if I could, but getting an Apple and dual booting maybe an option, though the lack of HDMI out on Macs, plus the price, keeps me away.

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'd like a backlight keyboard option as I type a lot in low light. I thought about the Envy, but besides the heat issues, there is no backlight keyboard option.

Also, as mentioned an HDMI out would be ideal so I can use a TV as a monitor, along with sound (not just DVI).

I've thought about the Dell XPS Studio 16, but heat concerns have kept me away. . .

The biggest issue I've been having is finding a good laptop with a screen resolution greater than 1366x768 in a not hefty model. (The ASUS gaming laptop just doesn't do it for me with it's odd chassis)

Are there new laptops set to be released in the next month or two that would have a better screen resolution, solid chassis, etc that I should wait for or is there something current out there that I should look at?

Thanks!

kooredaan

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
thanks...

I looked quickly at the Alienware machines... 9+ lbs for the 15" is probably a bit too much. Don't need all that horsepower either...

At the end I wish Asus made more machines with a larger resolution than 1366x768...

X666

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Here are a few of the options I would personally choose from if I had a budget higher than about $1000.

Any of the mid-level Toshiba Qosimo X505 models. The mid-level Qosimo models have an i7 with a 360m. I plan on personally getting an X505-Q860 that comes with an i5 430m/360m. Any Qosimo above the Q860 starts at $1400 or so.

My other choice would be the Asus G73JH, for $1200. This comes with an i7 720qm with a 5870m and non-standard 6gb of ram.

Personally I would be fine with either of my choices, although the G73JH doesn't have an Express Card slot.

Hope I helped you out a bit.

18" LCD screen and about 10lbs weight.

The new Dell Studio XPS 16 has a backlit keyboard, and a really gorgeous 16" RGBLED 1920x1080 LCD screen. A bit more than 6lbs.
Core i5 520 CPU and Mobility RADEON HD 4670 graphics should handle SC3 reasonably well. Blu-Ray is a $150 add-on.
About $1500 with the 1080 LCD and Blu-Ray.

kooredaan

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Thanks!

The Toshiba is probably a bit too big... I looked at the ASUS G73H and that is still an option.

The Dell Studio XPS 16 has been on the top of the list for a bit, but I've read a lot about heat issues. Is it really that big of an issue? Plus the RGBLED is out of stock right now...

Any other options on the horizon?

I did look at the Sony Z series, but I think the screen might be a bit small for a 1400x900 resolution. Maybe not.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Well, if you're looking at Dells, the Studio 15 has a better GPU than the XPS 16. It can be upgraded to a Core-i7 with a 1920x1080 screen.. just not the RGBLED one.

kooredaan

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Did Dell stop using the RGBLED? The Studio XPS 16 no longer lists it as an option, or is it a temporary move?

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Try calling Dell to ask what happened. Supposedly, ordering on the phone can net you some good deals and cheaper upgrades. It should be easy for them to tell you what happened with the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.