I need help with opening files, aim.exe adaware.. etc! PLE..

Okay so I turned on my computer today before work and some of the
applications will not work IE: AIM, Ad Aware, Microsoft Office, I can't get
into my System Restore, Adding or Removing Programs etc. Whenever I try to
open one of those it gives me this message:

"Windows Cannot Open This File

File Name: aim.exe

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows
can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a
list of programs on your computer......"

And when I go online to get it fixed it sends me to a website that really
does nothing for me. So please please help me if you can, I need this for
school work. I could care less about AIM right now, but i would like
Microsoft Office and applications that are SUPPOSED to work on my computer to
work :(
2 answers Last reply
More about opening files adaware

    It sounds like you have a virus or spyware.
    Run an Antivirus scan.
    An online scan can be done online at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    If you don't have antispyware, install the MS Antispyware software from
    http://www.microsoft.com
    I also use AdAware Personal, currently V1.06 from
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware_SE_Personal_d506.html
    and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_d2471.html

    --
    A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    "Lolly" <Lolly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Okay so I turned on my computer today before work and some of the
    > applications will not work IE: AIM, Ad Aware, Microsoft Office, I can't
    > get
    > into my System Restore, Adding or Removing Programs etc. Whenever I try to
    > open one of those it gives me this message:
    >

    > "Windows Cannot Open This File
    >
    > File Name: aim.exe
    >
    > To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows
    > can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from
    > list of programs on your computer......"
    >

    > And when I go online to get it fixed it sends me to a website that really
    > does nothing for me. So please please help me if you can, I need this for
    > school work. I could care less about AIM right now, but i would like
    > Microsoft Office and applications that are SUPPOSED to work on my computer
    > work :(

    Hi,

    www.dougknox.com, click on WinXP Fixes, then on File Association Fixes.
    Download the .exe fix and run it.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Lolly" <Lolly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Okay so I turned on my computer today before work and some of the
    > applications will not work IE: AIM, Ad Aware, Microsoft Office, I can't
    > get
    > into my System Restore, Adding or Removing Programs etc. Whenever I try to
    > open one of those it gives me this message:
    >

    > "Windows Cannot Open This File
    >
    > File Name: aim.exe
    >
    > To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows
    > can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from
    > list of programs on your computer......"
    >

    > And when I go online to get it fixed it sends me to a website that really
    > does nothing for me. So please please help me if you can, I need this for
    > school work. I could care less about AIM right now, but i would like
    > Microsoft Office and applications that are SUPPOSED to work on my computer
    > work :(

Computers Windows XP