Windows Security Center ?

Why would WSC have the option "Change the way Security Center alerts me"
grayed out?
Thanks,
Marsha

Hi, Marsha,
First, where are you? in your job? or at home? If you are in your job, maybe
your computer belongs to a domain. That explains all. Also, the following
Therefore, if you want to activate that options, your administrator must do
it.
If this isn't your case, then the causes can be another. Perhaps you could
reinstall SP2 again or Windows...
I hope this can be useful for you
Bye

"Marsha" wrote:

> Why would WSC have the option "Change the way Security Center alerts me"
> grayed out?
> Thanks,
> Marsha

This is a home computer. I didn't understand the link, how would I tell if
WSC is running?

Click Start/Run, type Services.msc
Double-click "Security Center"
Set it to Automatic / Start the service

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Marsha" <nospamplease@nosuchplace.com> wrote in message
> This is a home computer. I didn't understand the link, how would I tell
> if
> WSC is running?

It is already running. Under Recovery all say Take No Action. The other
choices are Restart Service, Run a Program, Restart Computer, what is the
preferred choice?
Thanks,
Marsha

| Click Start/Run, type Services.msc
| Double-click "Security Center"
| Set it to Automatic / Start the service
|
| --
| Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
| Windows XP Shell/User
| http://windowsxp.mvps.org
|

| "Marsha" <nospamplease@nosuchplace.com> wrote in message
| > This is a home computer. I didn't understand the link, how would I tell
| > if
| > WSC is running?

"Take No Action" is the default, so you may leave it alone.

If your system is in a Domain, there is a Group Policy setting. See:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mangxpsp2/mngsecps.mspx#EBAA

--

> It is already running. Under Recovery all say Take No Action. The other
> choices are Restart Service, Run a Program, Restart Computer, what is the
> preferred choice?
> Thanks,
> Marsha
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
> | Click Start/Run, type Services.msc
> | Double-click "Security Center"
> | Set it to Automatic / Start the service
> |
> | --
> | Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> | Windows XP Shell/User
> | http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> |

> | "Marsha" <nospamplease@nosuchplace.com> wrote in message
> | > This is a home computer. I didn't understand the link, how would I
> tell
> | > if
> | > WSC is running?

Thanks to everyone for helping me. I appreciate everyone in the windows
newsgroups who give their time to help all of us work out problems we are
having.
Marsha

You're welcome Marsha.