Windows Security Center ?

Why would WSC have the option "Change the way Security Center alerts me"
grayed out?
Thanks,
Marsha
9 answers Last reply
More about windows security center

    Hi, Marsha,
    First, where are you? in your job? or at home? If you are in your job, maybe
    your computer belongs to a domain. That explains all. Also, the following
    Therefore, if you want to activate that options, your administrator must do
    it.
    If this isn't your case, then the causes can be another. Perhaps you could
    reinstall SP2 again or Windows...
    I hope this can be useful for you
    Bye

    "Marsha" wrote:

    > Why would WSC have the option "Change the way Security Center alerts me"
    > grayed out?
    > Thanks,
    > Marsha

    Make sure whether the security center service is running or not during
    that time.
    see:-
    Managing Windows XP Service Pack 2 Features Using Group Policy
    Security-Related Policy Settings
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mangxpsp2/mngsecps.mspx#EBAA

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Marsha wrote:
    > Why would WSC have the option "Change the way Security Center alerts me"
    > grayed out?
    > Thanks,
    > Marsha

    This is a home computer. I didn't understand the link, how would I tell if
    WSC is running?

    Click Start/Run, type Services.msc
    Double-click "Security Center"
    Set it to Automatic / Start the service

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Marsha" <nospamplease@nosuchplace.com> wrote in message
    > This is a home computer. I didn't understand the link, how would I tell
    > if
    > WSC is running?

    It is already running. Under Recovery all say Take No Action. The other
    choices are Restart Service, Run a Program, Restart Computer, what is the
    preferred choice?
    Thanks,
    Marsha

    | Click Start/Run, type Services.msc
    | Double-click "Security Center"
    | Set it to Automatic / Start the service
    |
    | --
    | Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    | Windows XP Shell/User
    | http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    |

    | "Marsha" <nospamplease@nosuchplace.com> wrote in message
    | > This is a home computer. I didn't understand the link, how would I tell
    | > if
    | > WSC is running?

    "Take No Action" is the default, so you may leave it alone.

    If your system is in a Domain, there is a Group Policy setting. See:

    > It is already running. Under Recovery all say Take No Action. The other
    > choices are Restart Service, Run a Program, Restart Computer, what is the
    > preferred choice?
    > Thanks,
    > Marsha
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > | Click Start/Run, type Services.msc
    > | Double-click "Security Center"
    > | Set it to Automatic / Start the service
    > |
    > | --
    > | Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > | Windows XP Shell/User
    > | http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > |

    > | "Marsha" <nospamplease@nosuchplace.com> wrote in message
    > | > This is a home computer. I didn't understand the link, how would I
    > tell
    > | > if
    > | > WSC is running?

    Thanks to everyone for helping me. I appreciate everyone in the windows
    newsgroups who give their time to help all of us work out problems we are
    having.
    Marsha

    You're welcome Marsha.

    --

    > Thanks to everyone for helping me. I appreciate everyone in the windows
    > newsgroups who give their time to help all of us work out problems we are
    > having.
    > Marsha

Security Windows Security Microsoft Windows XP