Windows 7 icon association problem

usnthem

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Program Icons, not file Icons, have begun acting weird. All of the Desktop and Startup Menu Icons pointing to programs have now become the same Icon. By this I mean that clicking on the desktop Icon that's description is "Adobe Reader X", but the Icon itself is the CCleaner Icon, opens CCleaner.
Also, by right clicking on the Icon, and going to properties, it's showing the correct Target path, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe".
But, by right clicking on the Icon, and going to "Open with > Choose default program, and then "Browse..." if I click on the correct program Icon in the program file, it switches them all to that program (and Icon).
I hope I've explained this clearly enough, it's just such a weird thing that I've never run into before.
Any help or direction would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich

usnthem

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
After further investigation, I'm thinking it's a .LNK file registry problem. Maybe I should replace the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk entry?
Thanks again in advance,
Rich

Not always. Had a corporate customer open an unassociated file using Notepad and it immediately associated everything with Notepad. Corporate was running current Symantec Endpoint Protection, and I ran the drive through 5 different AV engines without a hit.

Hi :)

It MAY not be , but I see at least one machine a week where it is...

All the best Brett :)

usnthem

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Thanks all. I tried combofix and that did it. Again, weird, 'cause the program barely began to run and I notice the Icon revert back to original.
Thanks again!