Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows xp/vista drivers on W7?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 19, 2012 7:39:46 PM

Hey guys,

My brother has a old Pavilion s7520 that he refuses to get rid off.

It was infected with every virus known to the world and still used Windows XP so I figured just installing Windows 7 32-bit was the best solution for both his pc and my time.

Anyway, after the reinstall I checked HP's site for drivers on W7 32-bit, there was one (for Lightscribe). So I thought Windows update would handle all the drivers.

Unfortunately it did not. Device Manager also doesn't work.

There are multiple Windows XP/Vista drivers for the desktop on the HP site, though.

So my question is: Will the drivers properly work on W7? And would you guys recommend I use the Vista drivers or the XP drivers?

Help would be much appreciated!

More about : windows vista drivers

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2012 7:49:49 PM

Hi :) 

Some will, some wont...try the Vista DRIVERS first...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l

Best solution

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2012 7:49:56 PM

If Vista drivers are available for your platform then use them. XP drivers use a different driver model and won't work.
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2012 7:50:18 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Some will, some wont...try the Vista DRIVERS first...

My personal experience is that XP drivers in Windows 7 (or Vista) is just asking for trouble.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2012 8:03:19 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
My personal experience is that XP drivers in Windows 7 (or Vista) is just asking for trouble.

I totally agree, but as he didn't check first, he may have no choice but to try them if the Vista drivers do not work.... if nothing works its back to XP ....

m
l
December 4, 2012 5:51:54 PM

Best answer selected by viridi.
m
l
!