Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 registry error

Last response: in Windows 7
November 19, 2012 7:51:39 PM

So I have a machine on my hands that is suffering registry damage due to viruses that I managed to remove but I still can't get the registry repaired since the computer has no recovery partition and the original cd is gone. System restore did nothing so I'm wondering if there is a way to fix the registry with what those things missing. I can give you specs if you need it but please help. Thank you.

More about : windows registry error

a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2012 8:01:08 PM

The registry is such a complex beast that trying to repair it manually isn't practical. You're much further ahead locating another CD and starting from scratch.
m
l
November 19, 2012 8:04:55 PM

Can I use just any windows seven cd to repair it? I think I may have a windows seven professional but this computer has a home basic. Both 64 bit.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2012 8:11:12 PM

The DVD must match what's installed. For example if you have Home Basic OEM then you must use a Home Basic OEM DVD to attempt a repair install. Now, if you want to start over from scratch then you may use any DVD. Just make sure that you have a valid license code for the version you use.
m
l
November 19, 2012 8:20:37 PM

How can I find the exact one she is using so I can sort through my collection. I think I may have it but I don't want to pop them in one by one. It says on her computer properties that its a windows 7 home premium 64 bit but I'm not sure if there is more too it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2012 8:33:03 PM

Skynet928 said:
.....It says on her computer properties that its a windows 7 home premium 64 bit.....

That's what you're looking for. Keep in mind that the OEM DVD's are either 32-bit OR 64-bit, only retail DVD's have both on the same disc.
m
l
!