Good day

I have a problem with Windows XP SP2. Whenever the system boots up there is
no icons or start button, only the background/wallpaper is seen. Right
clicking the mouse does not work either.

Only thing that does work is the CRTl+DEL+ALT. I log off the user & re-enter
with the same profile all is normal again.

Rebooting returns back to a blank screen.

Gibgo,

This could just be a corrupt profile problem. If you have another user
account, try logging in as it and see if the same problem exist. If you don't
just create a new user account and login to see if the icons come back. If
they do, just copy over your crucial files and then blow out that profile and
create a new one.

I have seen this problem before and it was just a corrupted profile issue.

~zero