Looking For Driver

Bought a used Dell, works well except on Boot it finds a PCI Multimedia
Device. I have checked several sites on the net with no drivers, also
looked on Win 95, 98,2000 & XP discs to no avail. Any recommendations
appreciated.
Thanks

JMC

JJ

Which model Dell did you buy and does the card have a model number on it
such as CTxxxx or SBxxx? Also perchance does the Dell have the service tag
number on it? Also which version of Windows are you running?

Regards,
John O.

"JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
> Bought a used Dell, works well except on Boot it finds a PCI Multimedia
> Device. I have checked several sites on the net with no drivers, also
> looked on Win 95, 98,2000 & XP discs to no avail. Any recommendations
> appreciated.
> Thanks
>
> JMC

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Usually the Chipset driver.

"JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> Which model Dell did you buy and does the card have a model number on it
> such as CTxxxx or SBxxx? Also perchance does the Dell have the service tag
> number on it? Also which version of Windows are you running?
>
> Regards,
> John O.
>

> "JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
> > Bought a used Dell, works well except on Boot it finds a PCI Multimedia
> > Device. I have checked several sites on the net with no drivers, also
> > looked on Win 95, 98,2000 & XP discs to no avail. Any recommendations
> > appreciated.
> > Thanks
> >
> > JMC

JJ

I may be wrong but isn't the multimedia device a sound card usually? But
apart from that, here is a link to some software that can help you determine
what the unknown device actually is.

http://www.halfdone.com/Development/UnknownDevices/

Regards,
John O.

"danr" <dan@dan.com> wrote in message
> Usually the Chipset driver.
>

> "JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > Which model Dell did you buy and does the card have a model number on it
> > such as CTxxxx or SBxxx? Also perchance does the Dell have the service
tag
> > number on it? Also which version of Windows are you running?
> >
> > Regards,
> > John O.
> >

> > "JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
> > > Bought a used Dell, works well except on Boot it finds a PCI
Multimedia
> > > Device. I have checked several sites on the net with no drivers, also
> > > looked on Win 95, 98,2000 & XP discs to no avail. Any recommendations
> > > appreciated.
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > JMC

Never a chipset driver. It is the sound card.

If the OP goes to support.dell.com and enters his service tag, all drivers
are available.

Tom

windows drivers are available for all dell systems at support.dell.com

On Sat, 22 May 2004 23:27:02 -0400, "JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote:
>Bought a used Dell, works well except on Boot it finds a PCI Multimedia
>Device. I have checked several sites on the net with no drivers, also
>looked on Win 95, 98,2000 & XP discs to no avail. Any recommendations
>appreciated >Thanks >JMC

"I bought a car, can you tell me what tire pressure I need in the
tires?". As you can see, there is a teeny tiny little bit more info
needed. You bought a used Dell what? So did I. One for my father to
get on the Internet with.

And you aren't even mentioning what the PCI device is. But I thought
(wrongly??) that a PCI device was supposed was supposed to fit a
standard & be plug & play. The maker of the device would need to
supply an oddball driver, not Dell.

And you don't even mention what version of Windows is running on the
darned thing. Is it used one year old or used 6 years old?

I'm not very knowledgeable, but next time you need some info post
every detail you can think of, and maybe someone can help. Here is a
shot in the dark. See if you can find what you are looking for here.

https://support.dell.com/productselection.aspx

Big Mac

"JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in news:10b06g8ab5f83f9@corp.supernews.com:

> Bought a used Dell, works well except on Boot it finds a PCI
> Multimedia Device. I have checked several sites on the net with no
> drivers, also looked on Win 95, 98,2000 & XP discs to no avail. Any
> recommendations appreciated.
> Thanks
>
> JMC

If I remember correctly, it may be a driver for the modem. Some modems
(ie PCtel micromodems) use the sound card instead of an onboard speaker
and need a driver for this. Worth a look. If I am right that is. ;)

--
pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)hotmail(dot)com