Sign in with
Your question

Print once a week automatically so ink wont dry?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 30, 2010 8:55:42 AM

Ok i have Windows Xp professional sp3 and lexmark x1155 printer.
thing what i wanted to do is that it automatically prints test page or something else for once a week so the ink wont dry becouse of rarely use.
So how i do that? i have tried to find options somewhere from printers options and so on but cant find one.
January 7, 2011 6:11:26 AM

makedo626 said:
thing what i wanted to do is that it automatically prints test page or something else for once a week so the ink wont dry becouse of rarely use.
So how i do that? i have tried to find options somewhere from printers options and so on but cant find one.

Hi ,

I suggest you to use Laser Printer , Laser Printer is worked on powder & it powder is not dry any time ...........

so you should you use Laser Printer.
January 7, 2011 7:00:06 AM

Okay, rather than telling you spend $$$ on a Laser Printer do the following steps....

Windows XP:

1. Go to the start bar.
2. Click on the control panel and choose Printer and Fax.
4. Right click on your printer and click on its properties.
5. Click on the General tab and look toward the bottom of the box. Click on the “Print Test Page” button and your printer will automatically print it for you.

Windows Vista (I assume Win 7 is very similar):

1. Go to the start bar.
2. Click on the control panel and choose Hardware and Sound and clicking on Printers.
4. Right click on your printer and click on its properties.
5. Click on the General tab and look toward the bottom of the box. Click on the “Print Test Page” button and your printer will automatically print it for you.
Related resources
January 7, 2011 1:30:39 PM

For previous answer i do know that laser printer would be better allmost anyways but i do not have enought money to buy one so sorry about that
(and obiviously i dont want to steal one).

and i ment that i need my computer automatically print that test page once a week whitout me pressing any buttons. i do know how to print test page about 2 different ways one is in lexmark own options and second that what you informet. but i want it to print automatically like every week monday klo 14.00 so i do not have to do anything. so i dont have to every week remember to print that test page so ink wont dry.
January 7, 2011 1:47:35 PM

Nope not that I know of.

The best solution I can think of depends on if you know how to program. That involves creating a batch program to tell your printer to print a test page. Then use task manager to schedule that batch program. This is beyond my abilities.
January 9, 2011 5:43:16 AM

next time you go to buy ink for that printer, go look at laser printers, that lexmark inkjet is very uneconomical to run. You can get them very cheap these days, even the colour ones.
February 1, 2011 5:35:23 PM

makedo626 said:

Try this makedo626.

Click: Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Scheduled Tasks
In new window, double click: Add Scheduled Task & follow the wizard instructions to open a program (eg. MS Word) that will allow you to print a page and schedule it as you want.

When the program opens, you will probably still have to open a document and print it but at least you will be reminded.

I have looked at this using WIN XP Home & I assume XP Pro. will be the same.
February 3, 2011 7:34:56 PM

Add a sheduled task to run this command:

notepad /p C:\Path\To\Your\txt\File\test.txt
February 3, 2011 7:40:09 PM

Or put that line in a txt file, rename it from runThis.txt to runThis.bat and call the bat file when you make the scheduled task.

Ok so you have a choice of either:

1. Spend a few $100 on a laser printer.
2. Spend 1 minute making a .bat file with the line notepad /p C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\test.txt and create a scheduled task to run it.

April 25, 2011 4:38:56 PM

thanks for the replys.
April 27, 2011 12:22:43 AM

or just remember to print a test page once every other week or so then you can turn the printer off and save energy when not in use - thats what i do since i don't need to print much.
dave
May 20, 2011 11:41:16 PM

I think this might work

copy "location of a txt file" "\\server\printer"

That should send it right to the printer. You will just need to make a text file, and then share your printer. so your printer address would be
"\\yourcomputername\theprintersname"
put that in a bat file and set it up in schedule tasks.
I think this will only work on txt files, but I don't know for sure.

January 12, 2013 6:51:28 PM

Print something with colour to the file:
Printer and Faxes
Right click on the printer Properties, next go to cart Ports
Write down where printer ports is assigned now
Chose FILE: Accept this by clicking OK
Next time you print anything windows will pop up asking for file name, and you can print what ever you need, moreover printer settings will be included in the file.
I used test printer as include colour windows icon and rest of black text.
Come back and set Port as it was before (you wrote it down, did you?).

Then, create e.g. filename.cmd

NET USE LPT1 \\server\printer
copy C:\YourDirectory\FileYouCreatedWhenPrinting LPT1

Save in the file with cmd extension (make sure you save not as filename.cmd.txt).
Double click to check if it working (should print as you expect)
Run: Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Scheduled Tasks
Clock Add Schedule Task and follow wizard.

This will work with print and settings as you wish.
BTW
You can even send clean print head command.

Jac,

ITmika.com
!