Print once a week automatically so ink wont dry?

makedo626

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Ok i have Windows Xp professional sp3 and lexmark x1155 printer.
thing what i wanted to do is that it automatically prints test page or something else for once a week so the ink wont dry becouse of rarely use.
So how i do that? i have tried to find options somewhere from printers options and so on but cant find one.

Okay, rather than telling you spend $$$ on a Laser Printer do the following steps....

Windows XP:

1. Go to the start bar.
2. Click on the control panel and choose Printer and Fax.
4. Right click on your printer and click on its properties.
5. Click on the General tab and look toward the bottom of the box. Click on the “Print Test Page” button and your printer will automatically print it for you.

Windows Vista (I assume Win 7 is very similar):

1. Go to the start bar.
2. Click on the control panel and choose Hardware and Sound and clicking on Printers.
4. Right click on your printer and click on its properties.
5. Click on the General tab and look toward the bottom of the box. Click on the “Print Test Page” button and your printer will automatically print it for you.

makedo626

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
For previous answer i do know that laser printer would be better allmost anyways but i do not have enought money to buy one so sorry about that
(and obiviously i dont want to steal one).

and i ment that i need my computer automatically print that test page once a week whitout me pressing any buttons. i do know how to print test page about 2 different ways one is in lexmark own options and second that what you informet. but i want it to print automatically like every week monday klo 14.00 so i do not have to do anything. so i dont have to every week remember to print that test page so ink wont dry.

Nope not that I know of.

The best solution I can think of depends on if you know how to program. That involves creating a batch program to tell your printer to print a test page. Then use task manager to schedule that batch program. This is beyond my abilities.

Truth seeker

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

Try this makedo626.

Click: Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Scheduled Tasks
In new window, double click: Add Scheduled Task & follow the wizard instructions to open a program (eg. MS Word) that will allow you to print a page and schedule it as you want.

When the program opens, you will probably still have to open a document and print it but at least you will be reminded.

I have looked at this using WIN XP Home & I assume XP Pro. will be the same.

bunion

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Or put that line in a txt file, rename it from runThis.txt to runThis.bat and call the bat file when you make the scheduled task.

Ok so you have a choice of either:

1. Spend a few $100 on a laser printer.
2. Spend 1 minute making a .bat file with the line notepad /p C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\test.txt and create a scheduled task to run it.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
or just remember to print a test page once every other week or so then you can turn the printer off and save energy when not in use - thats what i do since i don't need to print much.
dave

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I think this might work

copy "location of a txt file" "\\server\printer"

That should send it right to the printer. You will just need to make a text file, and then share your printer. so your printer address would be
"\\yourcomputername\theprintersname"
put that in a bat file and set it up in schedule tasks.
I think this will only work on txt files, but I don't know for sure.

ITmika

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Print something with colour to the file:
Printer and Faxes
Right click on the printer Properties, next go to cart Ports
Write down where printer ports is assigned now
Chose FILE: Accept this by clicking OK
Next time you print anything windows will pop up asking for file name, and you can print what ever you need, moreover printer settings will be included in the file.
I used test printer as include colour windows icon and rest of black text.
Come back and set Port as it was before (you wrote it down, did you?).

Then, create e.g. filename.cmd

NET USE LPT1 \\server\printer
copy C:\YourDirectory\FileYouCreatedWhenPrinting LPT1

Save in the file with cmd extension (make sure you save not as filename.cmd.txt).
Double click to check if it working (should print as you expect)
Run: Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Scheduled Tasks
Clock Add Schedule Task and follow wizard.

This will work with print and settings as you wish.
BTW
You can even send clean print head command.

Jac,

ITmika.com

AlanV2017

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
This should work for Word 2007+. Older articles mention a way to start Word, but they imply the functionality to print a document to the default printer is automatically built in; it is not.

The location of options will change depending on which version of Word you are using, but here's the general idea:
=====
In Trust Center Settings/Trusted Locations check the box to Allow Trusted Locations on my network (even though it's "not recommended")
In Trust Center Settings/ActiveX Settings check the button to Enable all controls without restrictions and without prompting (again, even though it's "not recommended")
In Trust Center Settings/ActiveX Settings check the box for Safe mode
In Trust Center Settings/Macro Settings check the button to Enable all macros (again, "not recommended")
In Trust Center Settings/ActiveX Settings check the box to Trust access to the VBA project object model
=====
Open your test document (.docx) and re-save it as a macro-enabled document (.docm). Use Alt+F11 to open the Visual Basic for Applications environment and insert a new module (NOT a class module). In the module paste this text:

Option Explicit
Sub FilePrintDefault()
ActiveDocument.PrintOut
Application.Quit
End Sub ' FilePrintDefault

Save the module and save the document.

To test, use Alt+F8 to run the macro FilePrintDefault. Word will print the document and then quit.
=====
As found on other Internet sources, you can now paste this line in a text command file (e.g. "HP testprint.cmd") and edit it for your version of Word, and whatever your test document name is.

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" /mFilePrintDefault "\\whserver02\Public\Printers\RGB HP Deskjet 3000 datetime.docm"

This will open your document in Word and run the macro, which includes the instruction to quit. (Otherwise your print spooler may get messed up, which frustrated me for a long time.)

To test, run the command file from a command prompt (Win+R, "cmd"). Word will print the document and then quit.
=====
Finally, create a scheduled task. To make changes you will need the Properties window available.

On the Actions tab choose the action to start a program. The name of the command file will be the Program/Script to run. No arguments are needed; any of that is contained in the command file.

On the General tab
change the user to an Administrator account
check "Run whether the user is logged on or not"
leave "Do not store password" unchecked
check "Run with highest privileges"
configure for your version of Windows
click OK, and provide the administrator account password

To test, run the task immediately.
To test further, change the Triggers time to one minute past current for today and wait for the test document to print and close Word. If successful, change the Trigger back to the desired schedule.