Prescott - Worth the Wait ??

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Is the Prescott worth the wait ? Or is a 2.8C Northwood what I should buy? And just spend the savings on a LOT more memory. I realize the Prescott will be priced higher for several months. I'm looking to replace a PII-400, so either one would be a vast improvement. No gaming done on it. But some PhotoShop, so the added L2 memory seems nice.

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
Prescott is being launched on Feb 2. It is supposed to launch at 2.8, 3.0, 3.2, and 3.4GHz. On the same day, Intel will also introduce a 3.4GHz Northwood at the same price as the 3.4 Prescott. I suspect the prices will also be the same for the lower speed Prescott chips. This is part of Intel's strategy to quickly transition to 90nm Prescott.

Also, I suspect the speed of Prescott will not be significantly better than similarly clocked Northwoods, but you will be getting SSE3 and improved HT.

<font color=white>---</font color=white>
Wanted: Large breasted live-in housekeeper. Must be a good cook, organized, and willing to pick up after me.

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I would say wait. Only a month away and if the X-bit lab report is correct the price will be right. If Prescott flops, you can always buy the northwood later.

Anxiously awaiting prescott....is it here yet?

dhlucke

Polypheme
9 out of 10 women prefer a man with a Prescott.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Those prices are only MSRP, retailers can adjust them whichever-whichway they want. Chances are they will jack the prices up if Intel advertises well (they will), so don't count your chickens before they hatch. Oh yeah!...no one knows how good the performance really is on Scotty.

TomV, wait until benchies are out before you decide.

Damn Rambus.

Coop

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Why dont you consider an A64 3000+ ?
It beets the crap out of a P4 3.2GHz and is much cheaper...
Unless you like trowing money out of he window go for P4 :eek:)

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
I realize nothing can be done about retailers jacking up the prices on hot items, but I honestly don't think we will see much of that. If the market is flooded with cheap Prescotts, retailers will have so much competition they won't be able to do any price fixing.

<font color=white>---</font color=white>
Wanted: Large breasted live-in housekeeper. Must be a good cook, organized, and willing to pick up after me.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Intel will advertise, people will buy (witnessed by Centrino), prices will be skyhigh.

I expect the 3.4Scotty will be a good $100 more than the 3.4Northwood, even though their MSRPs are both $417.

Eventually prices will fall when the retailers decide to compete (a la 3.2C).

Don't jump the gun with Scotty, we don't know performance, OCing ability, price, or even some mobo compatibilities yet. Wait a few weeks.

Damn Rambus.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
How about the fact that every...single...motherboard for the A64 currently on the market is junk?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
You got something to back that up or are you just spewing Intel PR again.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
all he said that a 64 bit CPU has to be put into 32 bit mobos. any more explanations?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: all he said that a 64 bit CPU has to be put into 32 bit mobos. any more explanations?

NO what he said was ... How about the fact that every...single...motherboard for the A64 currently on the market is junk?

Big difference FOOL..

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if you can't understand abbreviations, how can someone explain stuff to you?

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Well if you are smarter than everyone else you explain it .... IDIOT

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Do you have something to prove the A643000+ is faster in most apps than the P4 3.2C or are you just trolling again?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
How about this, rather than have me comment on every single board, why don't you show me your favorite so I can knock it down?

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Sorry Crashman please dont play games turning this around...... I never said anything.... It's what YOU said and I am just looking to increase my knowledge a little...

So in regards to...

How about the fact that every...single...motherboard for the A64 currently on the market is junk?

Anything to back that up or are you just spewing Intel PR again????????????????????????????????

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by darko21 on 01/05/04 03:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like I said, find a board, I'll knock it down. Lots of nice AMD boards out there, for their XP series.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, even I am no smarter than everyone else (did I ever said that?), but I do understand your need to feed yerself with a thought that you are smarter than everyone else in order to keep your mentally disabled body happy.

you can't even figure out that you have to break your line of question marks to keep the page in sink, so it wont go out of borders and we would not have to drug that bottom bar back and forth to see the end of it.

endyen

Splendid
Well Crashman, I know you hate via, but the chipset does so little on the A64 boards, that we should be seeing bios fixes soon.
As for you blah, I'm just someone who has read enough of your posts to realize you neeed a little joy in your life. You will probably never get "lucky", so I thought disneyland was a good bet.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it is closed for a season, so I have a little luck to substitute it with THGC for a little while till it reopens again.