Can't create a shortcut on the desktop

hello,

on the desktop, i right click, select new --> shortcut. i expect to see a
dialog box at this point, but instead a blank icon appears on my desktop.
how do i fix this.

thank you.
--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

    But did you try: select on what you want create shortcut>right
    click>create shortcut?
    I always do this way. :cool:

    --
    Jucy

    Dr. Indera

    See if this command helps, from Start/Run:

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > on the desktop, i right click, select new --> shortcut. i expect to see a
    > dialog box at this point, but instead a blank icon appears on my desktop.
    > how do i fix this.
    >
    > thank you.
    > --
    > Indera
    > * * * * * * * * * *
    > Don't just live life.
    > Live life well.

    hi jucy,

    yes, i've done that before. i'm stumped why i can no longer create a
    shortcut from the desktop.

    --
    Indera
    * * * * * * * * * *

    "Jucy" <Jucy.1uzl3b@no-mx.gateway.localhost> wrote in message
    :
    : But did you try: select on what you want create shortcut>right
    : click>create shortcut?
    : I always do this way. :cool:
    :
    :
    : --
    : Jucy
    : Posted via http://ms-os.com Forum to Usenet gateway
    :

    hi ramesh,

    i don't show what the command does, but it works.
    is this something that i did somehow and didn't realize it?

    thank you so much!
    --
    Indera
    * * * * * * * * * *

    : Dr. Indera
    :
    : See if this command helps, from Start/Run:
    :
    : regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    :
    : --
    : Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    : Windows XP Shell/User
    : http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    :
    :
    : "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
    : news:u$daFS5sFHA.912@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    : > hello,
    : >
    : > on the desktop, i right click, select new --> shortcut. i expect to see
    : > dialog box at this point, but instead a blank icon appears on my
    desktop.
    : > how do i fix this.
    : >
    : > thank you.
    : > --
    : > Indera
    : > * * * * * * * * * *
    : > Don't just live life.
    : > Live life well.
    : >
    : >
    : >
    :

    You're welcome Indera.

    >> is this something that i did somehow and didn't realize it?

    No idea how this was caused, but it's due to broken .lnk settings.

    --

    > hi ramesh,
    >
    > i don't show what the command does, but it works.
    > is this something that i did somehow and didn't realize it?
    >
    > thank you so much!
    > --
    > Indera
    > * * * * * * * * * *
    > Don't just live life.
    > Live life well.
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > : Dr. Indera
    > :
    > : See if this command helps, from Start/Run:
    > :
    > : regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    > :
    > : --
    > : Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > : Windows XP Shell/User
    > : http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > :
    > :
    > : "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
    > : news:u$daFS5sFHA.912@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > : > hello,
    > : >
    > : > on the desktop, i right click, select new --> shortcut. i expect to
    > see
    > : > dialog box at this point, but instead a blank icon appears on my
    > desktop.
    > : > how do i fix this.
    > : >
    > : > thank you.