User Account Locking Up

We have 3 user accounts in XP and only 1 is currently working. When I click
on the 2 that aren't working, the desktop and icons appear but you cannot do
anything, nothing seems to load up...the only thing to do is CTL/ALT/DEL and
switch users back to the one that is working!! Please help!!!

Malke

missloulou23 wrote:

> We have 3 user accounts in XP and only 1 is currently working. When I
> click on the 2 that aren't working, the desktop and icons appear but
> you cannot do anything, nothing seems to load up...the only thing to
> do is CTL/ALT/DEL and switch users back to the one that is working!!
> Please help!!!

Is the computer completely virus/malware-free? If you think so, what did
you do to determine this?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I think so, we ran Microsoft Anti Spyware last night and there didn't seem to
be any problems, have deleted all temp files also...

"Malke" wrote:

> missloulou23 wrote:
>
> > We have 3 user accounts in XP and only 1 is currently working. When I
> > click on the 2 that aren't working, the desktop and icons appear but
> > you cannot do anything, nothing seems to load up...the only thing to
> > do is CTL/ALT/DEL and switch users back to the one that is working!!
> > Please help!!!
>
> Is the computer completely virus/malware-free? If you think so, what did
> you do to determine this?
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

missloulou23 wrote:

> I think so, we ran Microsoft Anti Spyware last night and there didn't
> seem to be any problems, have deleted all temp files also...
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> missloulou23 wrote:
>>
>> > We have 3 user accounts in XP and only 1 is currently working. When
>> > I click on the 2 that aren't working, the desktop and icons appear
>> > but you cannot do anything, nothing seems to load up...the only
>> > thing to do is CTL/ALT/DEL and switch users back to the one that is
>> > working!! Please help!!!
>>
>> Is the computer completely virus/malware-free? If you think so, what
>> did you do to determine this?
>>
>> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

OK, then let's get some more information so we can focus the
troubleshooting. Things that will help us help you:

1. Version and Service Pack level of XP.
2. Computer specs - processor speed and amount of RAM.
3. Did these user accounts ever work? If so, how long ago? What changed
between the time things worked and the time they didn't?
4. What full-featured antivirus program do you have installed? Name,
version, and whether your virus definitions subscription is current.
5. Is this a standalone machine (home user or very small office) or a
workstation on a domain?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

I'm not too good at working out computers but here is what I found!!
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2.00
RAM capacity 256MB
Antivirus programmes:
Error Guard 2.5.0
Microsoft Antispyware
Norton Anti Virus 2003
Winfixer 1.1.29.0

Computer is stand alone personal home computer, we have had computer for
about 18 months and everything has worked fine, the 2 user accounts in
question stopped working on Thursday/Friday and I can't think why they would
just stop working, am unaware of any major changes made to system.
(hope this is the info you need)

missloulou23 wrote:

> I'm not too good at working out computers but here is what I found!!
> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2.00
> RAM capacity 256MB
> Antivirus programmes:
> Error Guard 2.5.0
> Microsoft Antispyware
> Norton Anti Virus 2003
> Winfixer 1.1.29.0
>
> Computer is stand alone personal home computer, we have had computer
> for about 18 months and everything has worked fine, the 2 user
> accounts in question stopped working on Thursday/Friday and I can't
> think why they would just stop working, am unaware of any major
> changes made to system. (hope this is the info you need)
>
> "missloulou23" wrote:
>
>> We have 3 user accounts in XP and only 1 is currently working. When I
>> click on the 2 that aren't working, the desktop and icons appear but
>> you cannot do anything, nothing seems to load up...the only thing to
>> do is CTL/ALT/DEL and switch users back to the one that is working!!
>> Please help!!!

ErrorGuard and WinFixer are malware and not legitimate useful programs.
You have an obsolete version of Norton Antivirus. Is your subscription
to its virus definitions current? It will not help you remove
ErrorGuard and WinFixer in any case.

You need to clean up your computer. Here are some general removal
instructions, but removing ErrorGuard and WinFixer can be quite
complex. You will probably need to run HijackThis and post your log at
one of the HJT forums referenced on my website (*not* here, please).
Your alternative is to take the machine to a professional computer
repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA). Based on this
and previous posts of yours, that is the route I would suggest you
take. Of course, this is your choice.

Malke