Sign in with
Your question

Leaving laptop on 24/7

Last response: in Mobile Computing
July 22, 2003 4:38:55 AM

hey
im recently in the market for a new laptop, specifically the toshiba 5200 series running at 2.2ghz mobile p4
my question is, will i be able to leave the laptop on 24/7 without any harm being afflicted to the laptop
i would like to run the laptop as if it were a desktop, 24/7 all the time whether or not im downloading large files overnight or not
any suggestions on this or other laptop recomendations will be greatly appreciated
thx
NeC0

More about : leaving laptop

July 22, 2003 5:42:33 AM

4th day on. A30 p3, nothing bad happens, nothing will.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
July 22, 2003 7:54:56 PM

There can be no problem leaving your notebook on 24hrs. If there is (and trust me there wont be), then take it back first thing.

A notebook is just a portable computer. If you can leave your computer on 24/7, you can leave your notebook the same. Heat is the only real problem, but as you've said you have a Toshiba 5200, which has a very good cooling system. But as with all computers, the longer they are left on, the shorter their lifespan.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?
Related resources
July 23, 2003 3:21:08 AM

Just to stay on the safe side, I wouldn't leave mine on over 48 hours, or even 24 hours. Unlike a desktop, a notebook can't be fixed by the consumer because of parts. If you damage it, your screwed.
July 23, 2003 7:39:41 PM

If it is fine after 12 hrs, it will be fine pretty much indefinitely. There is no additional stress put on the components after that. I suppose it is advisable to be wary if your notebook is not brand new, but if it is, its warranty should handle it if anything should go wrong.

The only problem that I can see, is the Hard Drive. Notebook HDDs aren't exactly designed for continuous use. If the HDD goes near 60'C, then i would make DOUBLY sure that you have backed up important stuff. Other than that - there will be no problem.

July 23, 2003 11:34:19 PM

I want my notebook to last for 4 years, so I'm not going to do stuff that'll break it or take a gamble. Besides, I see no need to leave it on overnight or for days at a time.
July 24, 2003 8:08:08 AM

As with all of the electronics bigestest demage to it is done on "Power ON", so after it is up and running leaving it on for 200+ hrs will do nothing more to it as leaving it on for 2 hrs (as long as it is properly cooled). Well, you might see memory leaks in OS so it will become funky (at least in my case).

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
July 24, 2003 6:42:58 PM

My sister has a Compaq Armada m1520d, its a little 133MHz Pentium monster, with 96MB RAM, a 6GB HDD and a 4x CD-ROM and a 10mbps network connection. We got it in 1995, it's been running pretty much non stop since 2000. I ran seti on it once, it took 178hrs for 1 Work Unit (compared to the Pentium-M's 1:40hrs). Neer had a problem. ever. I plan to keep my notebook for another 5yrs at least, and i leave it on about 18hrs a day (when it's not being transported anywhere). I don't expect to ever see a problem.

RaPTuRe

!