Nat enabled routers?

G

Ok. I am familiar with networking, routers, firewalls and the such. I am also extreemly frustrated by some of the home Cable/DSL routers out there. I have a Speakeasy 384/384 SDSL connection and 3 IP's. Here is my question. Any one out there know of an inexpensive Cable/DSL router that does true NAT(network address translation). NOT PAT(Port Address Translation). I have tried both Linksys and Netgear(RO318, RT311, FR314) without success. The devices work fine but do NOT OFFER TRUE NAT. They do PAT, even though they say blatently on the box and in advertising that they do NAT. I have set up a Cisco PIX515UR at work along with a cisco 2620 Router that would fit the bill. But I don't want to spend upwards of $9k (for both) for my home network. I need a device that will allow me to map a few real ip addresses to several non-routable 192.168.x.x addresses. I am trying to run DNS and WEB through the protection of NAT but can not do this with a device that only does PAT. I can run the webserver through PAT but DNS will not work properly through a PAT device, I need to be able to map a real address to the non-routable one. Just so everyone knows, I am not looking to set my system up differently and I know enough about networking to do this. I just want to know if there is a sub $300, or close to $300, Cable/DSL router that offers true NAT out there? I greatly appreciate any information any one has for me.

Thanks

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Your best bet is probably going open source and installing a dedicated external box. Alternatively the linksys supports a single DMZ host - have you tried doing that?

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

G

The Zyxel 312 seems to fit your requirements:
<A HREF="http://www.zyxel.com/doc/p312/faq/p312_faq.htm#a9" target="_new">http://www.zyxel.com/doc/p312/faq/p312_faq.htm#a9</A>

About the Linksys and Netgear, you wrote in another post you would recommend the Linksys. As im considering the Netgear RP114, any special reasons to opt for the Linksys?