Urgent - Pls help - need to buy a handheld device

November 25, 2004 1:29:30 PM

Urgent - Pls help - need to buy a handheld Device

Hi
I am a novice at technology. I am not good at typing. It takes me too
long.

I would like to buy a pen/stylus based handheld device.

This is what I really need it for:
1. name
2. email address
3. tel numbers
4. Company name.

Typically the above will be in one line or so.
I will have about a 1000 people's contact info.

This is what I would like it to have:
- good handwriting recognition capability
- possibly voice recognition too

I should be able to retrieve the inputed info easily.
(hopefuly like a mini search engine)

Can anyone pls suggest what name/device /model I should buy for the
above requirements.

I know this is a Palm newsgroup. But if another company's product is
more suitable pls let me know.

Anything else i should be looking for ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best
Anna
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 12:52:26 AM

Hi Anna,

For writing data into the Palm, you can use a keyboard or Grafitti.
Grafitti is not a handwriting recognition application. Instead, you
must learn its character strokes.

As to voice recognition, I don't know of any PDA that is capable of
doing voice recognition.

All of the Palms since PalmOS v3.1 (that I know of), has a search
feature.

If all you are going to do is contacts then a low-end Zire will do
the job for you.

Personally, I use a Tungsten|T3 as my 'portable brain'. I keep track
of my schedule and projects, check my e-mail, do some news groups,
and am writing a novel on it.

When I got my first PDA about 5+ years ago, I bought the cheapest
one they made just to see if the Palm would be useful. I have come
to rely on it more and more every day. If I walk out of the house
without it, I will go back home to pick it up. Start off cheap and
see if it will be an effective tool for you.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
He esteems too lightly

Anna Baum wrote:
> Urgent - Pls help - need to buy a handheld Device
>
> Hi
> I am a novice at technology. I am not good at typing. It takes me too
> long.
>
> I would like to buy a pen/stylus based handheld device.
>
> This is what I really need it for:
> 1. name
> 2. email address
> 3. tel numbers
> 4. Company name.
>
> Typically the above will be in one line or so.
> I will have about a 1000 people's contact info.
>
> This is what I would like it to have:
> - good handwriting recognition capability
> - possibly voice recognition too
>
> I should be able to retrieve the inputed info easily.
> (hopefuly like a mini search engine)
>
> Can anyone pls suggest what name/device /model I should buy for the
> above requirements.
>
> I know this is a Palm newsgroup. But if another company's product is
> more suitable pls let me know.
>
> Anything else i should be looking for ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Best
> Anna
November 27, 2004 5:27:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Anna Baum wrote:

> Urgent - Pls help - need to buy a handheld Device
>
> Hi
> I am a novice at technology. I am not good at typing. It takes me too
> long.
>
> I would like to buy a pen/stylus based handheld device.
>
> This is what I really need it for:
> 1. name
> 2. email address
> 3. tel numbers
> 4. Company name.
>
> Typically the above will be in one line or so.
> I will have about a 1000 people's contact info.
>
> This is what I would like it to have:
> - good handwriting recognition capability
> - possibly voice recognition too
>
> I should be able to retrieve the inputed info easily.
> (hopefuly like a mini search engine)
>
> Can anyone pls suggest what name/device /model I should buy for the
> above requirements.
>
> I know this is a Palm newsgroup. But if another company's product is
> more suitable pls let me know.
>
> Anything else i should be looking for ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Best
> Anna

Anna:

I've seen your post on various groups, and many of the responses, but I
think they have all missed this option:

Assuming you have a Windoze PC, look into voice recognition software for
it, such as "Via Voice" or "Dragon Naturally Speaking" (or some such
titles - I have not looked into the technology in quite some time since
I am somewhat hearing impaired, and shy away from tecnology that
involves "precision sound" - love music, but can miss a lot of the
notes, and still "get the drift";-).

Using a package such as one of those on the PC (or equivalents for Mac
if that's what you have?), see if you can enter the info into Palm
Desktop (free download without even owning a Palm device - just specify
in the request process a reacent model you are likely to find if you
decide to buy one so it will match up the Palm OS version for
compatibility I think), or M$ Outlook, if that is what you have on the PC.

If you can enter the data that way, then you can just load it on the
Palm/PPC device via synch'ing, and you can go for a low-end/low-cost
device for holding and displaying the info - probably Palm Zire 21 being
about the lowest/cheapest new device - sometimes $50 or less on sale
and/or with rebates.

HTH

Rory
r o o c o n n
n c
r r
c o m
( p u t 'em together with @ and dots for my email@ddress)
November 29, 2004 4:58:22 PM

> This is what I would like it to have:
> - good handwriting recognition capability
> - possibly voice recognition too

Any of the latest PocketPC PDAs with Transcriber (the handwriting
portion). Voice recognition is unfortunately only at the control stage
(play music, start Word), not at the input stage.

Otherwise, get Office 2003 for the PC, install the optional
Microphone speech entry part, connect a microphone and talk away! You
can enter everything into Outlook 2003 just talking:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA01045126...
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 3:10:52 AM

In article <cog61c$sjm$1@news.service.uci.edu>, David Chien
<chiendh@uci.edu> wrote:

> > This is what I would like it to have:
> > - good handwriting recognition capability
> > - possibly voice recognition too
>
> Any of the latest PocketPC PDAs with Transcriber (the handwriting
> portion). Voice recognition is unfortunately only at the control stage
> (play music, start Word), not at the input stage.
>
> Otherwise, get Office 2003 for the PC, install the optional
> Microphone speech entry part, connect a microphone and talk away! You
> can enter everything into Outlook 2003 just talking:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA01045126...

Good handwriting recognition depends a lot on the quality of your
handwriting as well as the quality of the application.

Do you mean cursive handwriting or printing? PPC does have Transcriber for
recognizing cursive handwriting. From all reports, it doesn't do much
better than the system on the original Newton, which recognized over 95%
of my writing from the start. (I have good handwriting.)

For printing, you can go with PPC or Palm.

For voice recognition, you'll have to wait until Palm releases the Tungsten HAL.
!