Can you set the order that applications load during start ..

Hi, I'm having problems with 3 applications during start up. My wireless card
in my laptop does not always connect to my router and it seems to be related
to the order in which F-Secure, the Netgear driver for the wireless card and
the Win XP wireless application are loaded.

I've tried msconfig & that seems to only allow me to control if applications
are loaded or not, my question is, is there a way of pre-defining the order
that applications are loaded?

I'm using Win XP Home & it is up-to-date.
3 answers Last reply
More about order applications load start

    The answer to your question is No, you cannot reliably set the
    starting order of independent programs at startup. (A LOT of
    misinformation about this is floating around out there.)

    If the order is important, you need to have a batch file or script
    that starts each one and waits till it's finished before starting the
    next.

    reference:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2003/12/25/45926.aspx

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

    The order may *possibly* be alphabetical according to the name at

    or

    but that's just a theory of mine. Someone else may know for sure.

    You could either have a script that contained the 3 entries and loaded them
    in order, or have a script that delayed one particular entry (eg F-Secure),
    by say 30 seconds. You could then remove the msconfig entry (either
    unchecking it or removing it from the registry) / entries and place the
    replacement script into your startup folder.

    Example script to delay F-Secure loading by 30 seconds (save with a .vbs
    entry after composing in notepad)

    '************************************************************************

    '30 seconds delay
    wscript.sleep 30000

    'Start F-Secure
    wshshell.run chr(34) & "PLACE PATH TO EXECUTABLE HERE" & chr(34) & " " &
    "EXTRA PARAMETERS HERE"
    '************************************************************************

    [Final wshshell.run line should be all one line ie no wordwrap]

    Replace
    "PLACE PATH TO EXECUTABLE HERE" with path eg
    "%SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe"
    EXTRA PARAMETERS HERE with extra parameters eg "/s /p" etc etc
    (you can find that information from the current msconfig entries)

    [NB Make full note of the current registry entries for the programs, eg by
    exporting them using regedit, before deleting and / or set a System Restore
    point]

    Jon

    "Gary C" <GaryC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm having problems with 3 applications during start up. My wireless
    > card
    > in my laptop does not always connect to my router and it seems to be
    > related
    > to the order in which F-Secure, the Netgear driver for the wireless card
    > and
    > the Win XP wireless application are loaded.
    >
    > I've tried msconfig & that seems to only allow me to control if
    > applications
    > are loaded or not, my question is, is there a way of pre-defining the
    > order
    > that applications are loaded?
    >
    > I'm using Win XP Home & it is up-to-date.

    Execution Order for starting programs

    With Windows XP, There are 13+ places that programs can start from and
    they are executed in the following order:

    Before Logon
    1)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
    2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

    After Logon
    3)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Setup
    4) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    5) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    6) WIN.INI [Windows] Load
    7) WIN.INI [Windows] Run
    8) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    9) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    10) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    or %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    11) C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    or %homepath%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    12) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    13) As a Scheduled Task set to run at startup.

    [[Startups in groups 6 to 11 all run at the same time (more or less).
    However, the groups themselves are triggered in the order shown above. In
    other words, the next group can begin launching while the previous group is
    still loading its startups. Due to timing issues it is impossible to say
    what order these items will finish loading, thus it is impossible to
    predict the exact order of execution for individual startups. For instance,
    you may notice two or more system tray icons changing position with each
    boot - even when no changes have been made to the order.]]

    [[The order of items within a group is not necessarily the final order, as
    some programs take longer than others to load, and synchronous groups can
    overlap each other.]]

    Items in 10 and 11 execute alphanumerically. You can change the order in 10
    and 11 by moving the items from 11 to 10. Also, you can rename the
    shortcuts in 10 and/or 11.

    For example; dfg.exe, fgh.exe and ghj.exe would start in that order. To
    change the order rename to aghj.exe, bdfg.exe and cfgh.exe. They would then
    start in that order.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:C68A2A47-C1E7-4720-AFEE-3EF1DE49C3FE@microsoft.com,
    Gary C <GaryC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi, I'm having problems with 3 applications during start up. My wireless
    > card in my laptop does not always connect to my router and it seems to be
    > related to the order in which F-Secure, the Netgear driver for the
    > wireless card and the Win XP wireless application are loaded.
    >
    > I've tried msconfig & that seems to only allow me to control if
    > applications are loaded or not, my question is, is there a way of
    > pre-defining the order that applications are loaded?
    >
    > I'm using Win XP Home & it is up-to-date.

Wireless Windows XP