Can you set the order that applications load during start ..

Hi, I'm having problems with 3 applications during start up. My wireless card
in my laptop does not always connect to my router and it seems to be related
to the order in which F-Secure, the Netgear driver for the wireless card and
the Win XP wireless application are loaded.

I've tried msconfig & that seems to only allow me to control if applications
are loaded or not, my question is, is there a way of pre-defining the order
that applications are loaded?

I'm using Win XP Home & it is up-to-date.

The answer to your question is No, you cannot reliably set the
starting order of independent programs at startup. (A LOT of
misinformation about this is floating around out there.)

If the order is important, you need to have a batch file or script
that starts each one and waits till it's finished before starting the
next.

reference:
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2003/12/25/45926.aspx

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

The order may *possibly* be alphabetical according to the name at

or

but that's just a theory of mine. Someone else may know for sure.

You could either have a script that contained the 3 entries and loaded them
in order, or have a script that delayed one particular entry (eg F-Secure),
by say 30 seconds. You could then remove the msconfig entry (either
unchecking it or removing it from the registry) / entries and place the
replacement script into your startup folder.

Example script to delay F-Secure loading by 30 seconds (save with a .vbs
entry after composing in notepad)

'************************************************************************

'30 seconds delay
wscript.sleep 30000

'Start F-Secure
wshshell.run chr(34) & "PLACE PATH TO EXECUTABLE HERE" & chr(34) & " " &
"EXTRA PARAMETERS HERE"
'************************************************************************

[Final wshshell.run line should be all one line ie no wordwrap]

Replace
"PLACE PATH TO EXECUTABLE HERE" with path eg
"%SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe"
EXTRA PARAMETERS HERE with extra parameters eg "/s /p" etc etc
(you can find that information from the current msconfig entries)

[NB Make full note of the current registry entries for the programs, eg by
exporting them using regedit, before deleting and / or set a System Restore
point]

Jon

"Gary C" <GaryC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm having problems with 3 applications during start up. My wireless
> card
> in my laptop does not always connect to my router and it seems to be
> related
> to the order in which F-Secure, the Netgear driver for the wireless card
> and
> the Win XP wireless application are loaded.
>
> I've tried msconfig & that seems to only allow me to control if
> applications
> are loaded or not, my question is, is there a way of pre-defining the
> order
> that applications are loaded?
>
> I'm using Win XP Home & it is up-to-date.

Execution Order for starting programs

With Windows XP, There are 13+ places that programs can start from and
they are executed in the following order:

Before Logon
1)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

After Logon
3)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Setup
4) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
5) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
6) WIN.INI [Windows] Load
7) WIN.INI [Windows] Run
8) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
9) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
10) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
or %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
11) C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
or %homepath%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
12) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
13) As a Scheduled Task set to run at startup.

[[Startups in groups 6 to 11 all run at the same time (more or less).
However, the groups themselves are triggered in the order shown above. In
other words, the next group can begin launching while the previous group is
still loading its startups. Due to timing issues it is impossible to say
what order these items will finish loading, thus it is impossible to
predict the exact order of execution for individual startups. For instance,
you may notice two or more system tray icons changing position with each
boot - even when no changes have been made to the order.]]

[[The order of items within a group is not necessarily the final order, as
some programs take longer than others to load, and synchronous groups can
overlap each other.]]

Items in 10 and 11 execute alphanumerically. You can change the order in 10
and 11 by moving the items from 11 to 10. Also, you can rename the
shortcuts in 10 and/or 11.

For example; dfg.exe, fgh.exe and ghj.exe would start in that order. To
change the order rename to aghj.exe, bdfg.exe and cfgh.exe. They would then
start in that order.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes