Whisper

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2003
Are we ever going to see CPUs again that can be cooled passively? My laptop's Pentium M takes impressively low power but is that technology feasable for desktops too?

Just curious if anyone got some insight about that. I don't want my next system to have a noticable impact on my power bill...

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
there'll always be passively cooled CPUs, just the top-end stuff will always have a fan. If AMD can get a 10Ghz x86 compatible chip out - but only with some huge FAN - then they're going to try to grab the headlines with it, as would intel. Any passively cooled chip can be clocked faster with active cooling, and speed sells, simply.

There was a posting on here a couple of months back (maybe more, can't remember) about some guy who used Some heat pipes and a HUGE passive HS (something like 1 ft square) to cool a Athlon XP. It worked, but not exactly at cool temps, so it is possible.

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

c0d1f1ed

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Yeah, but I mean a <i>reasonable</i> performance. :wink:

Surely if Intel or AMD would have a line of desktop CPUs that focus on low heat production, we would see some interesting products. Think about the rage of small computer case form factors. I'd rather have one of those sexy 'amplifier' looks instead of a tower that's mainly just empty for all the necessary airflow.

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
i know that there are a few G4 (Mac/Apple) Processors that are passivly cooled, I know for sure you can get them up to 1Ghz, possible higher.

<b>on the verge of catastrophy (y1.999...k)</b>
ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro - WD 80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The old Tualatin Celerons could be passively cooled with an old oversized Pentium heatsink if you dropped the core voltage to 1.30v.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
My dad had a P3 733 and one day I was inserting a PCI LAN card and I said dude, your CPU fan's off! Apperantly, it hasn't worked for months, I never noticesd it, and he had no problems at all!

And I doubt your Pentium M is passivly cooled, isn't there an oppening where warm air comes out?

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Any manufacturer that makes computer hardware that still sells it with passive heat cooling should have their vendors licence revoked. Unless they attach a 20 pound block of copper to it and call it a transformer!!

No reason at all why all systems should not have extremely high quality fans in all hardware as well as good cooling heat sinks.

In fact they could base maintenance and warranty on how long a fans life span should be.

You just know your CPU melts after the Cat Hair builds up on the CPU cooling fan. About 30 days after purchase.

The old Lap-Tops used to keep the top of my legs warm and my brain on fire....................I would like to see COOLING SYSTEMS in all consumer hardware one of the top Priorities of Electronics manufacturers.

Cheating dirty rotton SoD's the lot of them!!

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

Whisper

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2003
I actually have such a desktop system. It has a Celeron 1.2 GHz, passively cooled with a Zalman copper flower. But it still needs one extra case fan. It's still terribly loud compared to the laptop, so at night I work on the laptop. I play games on the desktop since it has a Radeon 9600 Pro.

How can I lower voltage?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Whisper on 01/11/04 08:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Whisper

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2003
And I doubt your Pentium M is passivly cooled, isn't there an oppening where warm air comes out?
There is a fan. But most of the time it's off. When I do a little intensive work it starts to spin but the noise is absolutely inaudible. I have to watch it to see it spin. And there's no "warm" air coming out. When I play a game for longer than twenty minutes, it goes to a higher speed but you have to concentrate to hear it. If there was more room, it could possibly be cooled completely passively without huge blocks of copper.

Either way, there's nothing that compares to it for desktops, at this performance.

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think an athlon can run by passively cool if you underclock it and lower the voltage. Would you like to get a barton 3200+ and running it at 1 ghz?

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
wusy fried his XP 2500+ he said in one of his posts even if he did mention that he had enough cooling going to snuff out a Titan rocket......

I think wusy did not realize that the pure amounts of voltage he was running through that chunk of silica sand simply melted all the an-gates out of it. Had nothing to do with keeping it cool the actual an-gates died, they must have been opening and closing more times the then washroom door at a frat party.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Depends, What you want to do. For desktop work, watching Divx, DVDs, Mp3s etc, The nehemiah is perfectly fine. Of course I wouldn't expect it to do great in the latest games or video processing etc.

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
No reason at all why all systems should not have extremely high quality fans in all hardware as well as good cooling heat sinks.
Some people like <b>silent</b> systems, even if the performance isn't topnotch. Fans aren't silent, if they want silence, they will get passively cooled hardware.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.