Dimension 2100

My Dimension 2100 currently has a Celeron 900 in it. The fastest cpus it
can handle are the Cel 1.1 Ghz and the PIII 1 GHz. I would think the PIII
would give me more bang for the buck. My motherboard will not support a
Tualatin. I'm not sure if there are several PIII 1 GHz versions out there
(ie 100 vs 133). Anyone know which one works with the 2100 or ordered a
2100 with a P3 1GHz in it?

Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about dimension 2100

    "BigSky" <bmartin84@cox.net> wrote:
    >My Dimension 2100 currently has a Celeron 900 in it. The fastest cpus it
    >can handle are the Cel 1.1 Ghz and the PIII 1 GHz. I would think the PIII
    >would give me more bang for the buck. My motherboard will not support a
    >Tualatin. I'm not sure if there are several PIII 1 GHz versions out there
    >(ie 100 vs 133). Anyone know which one works with the 2100 or ordered a
    >2100 with a P3 1GHz in it? >Thanks.

    How much are you planning on spending? Instead of upgrading, I bit
    the bullet and spent a little more & bought my son a new computer
    recently. After you figure out the cost of the stuff that comes with
    it - 17in monitor, jet printer, CD RW drive, 40 gig hard drive, 256
    MBs RAM, and Windows XP, the gol darned thing was almost free! This
    is a 2.6 GHz machine we are talking - major brand with 1 year
    warrantee from eMachines - I paid $349! (after rebates). That year
    includes 6 am to 12 pm voice support, 7 days a week (I have an Athalon
    eMachines too, so I know). Sure it is a Celeron, but today's Celerons
    are not crippled like they used to be in the old days.

    There always seems to be a sale somewhere once a week a month (Sunday
    Newspaper adds) by a couple of different makers.. So time to step up
    & spend a little more than you were planning to spend on your
    dinosaur! . This weeks sale - 2 computers different major chains:
    2.7 GHz Celeron, 40 gig HD, 17in flat front .25 dot pitch monitor, 256
    MB RAM, DVD R/CD RW, Lexmark jet printer (no biggie), & Win XP, all
    for only $389. eMachines.

    Same basic config, but only 128 MB RAM (need more), CD RW (no DVD
    read), same size monitor & printer, & 2.6 GHz instead of 2.7 all for
    only $329! Off brand Systemax.

    I'd go for the eMachines in a second at that price. The store (&
    online too I think), hell, I didn't write it down - one of those is
    Office Depot, and the other is probably either Best Buy or maybe
    Office Max.. not sure, see Sunday's Newspaper adds. It'll be in
    there. Prices good until Saturday I think.. Some have free delivery
    if bought online.

    Now, don't forget to add in the cost of selling your complete computer
    to someone & deducting that price from what you figure you are
    paying.. .

    Big Mac

    Even with the larger cache, it's not worth a 200 MHz upgrade unless you can
    get the new CPU for free or close to it -- you just won't notice much
    difference.

    "BigSky" <bmartin84@cox.net> wrote in message
    > My Dimension 2100 currently has a Celeron 900 in it. The fastest cpus it
    > can handle are the Cel 1.1 Ghz and the PIII 1 GHz. I would think the PIII
    > would give me more bang for the buck. My motherboard will not support a
    > Tualatin. I'm not sure if there are several PIII 1 GHz versions out there
    > (ie 100 vs 133). Anyone know which one works with the 2100 or ordered a
    > 2100 with a P3 1GHz in it?
    >
    > Thanks.

    emachines arent very good computers. i'd get a refurb from dell or hp etc.
    compaq,hp have new computers about 350+

    what's not so good about them? many of the same commodity parts are used in
    dells, hp, etc.
    dell's refurbs aren't any great bargain especially if they are running sales
    on the new systems.

    "Michael" <michaelsomeone91@aol.comm.net.co> wrote in message
    > emachines arent very good computers. i'd get a refurb from dell or hp etc.
    > compaq,hp have new computers about 350+

    Based on some reviews and benchmarks I read, I was hoping a PIII 1 GHz would
    improve the software based video capture from my TV card. I use it to save
    TV programs for my son. The video isn't great but he likes it. It also
    uses deinterlacing when displaying TV which is very sensitive to other
    applications running (ie the internet). The best price after coupon I've
    seen is $74. If I could get a used one under $50 with shipping I'd probably
    buy it. My real question though is compatibility. Are there different
    versions of the 1 GHz cpu (ie 133MHz and 100MHz)? My Intel OEM MB only runs
    memory at 100MHz but I thought I read somewhere it will run the CPU bus at
    133 for the PIII. I know my motherboard won't support FCPGA2 chips. I've
    read about some FCPGA->FCPGA2 adapters to run Tualation celerons up to
    1.4GHz. That would be a noticeable kick in performance. I've also read it
    can require a BIOS upgrade. Yikes.

    michaelsomeone91@aol.comm.net.co (Michael) wrote:
    >emachines arent very good computers. i'd get a refurb from dell or hp etc.
    >compaq,hp have new computers about 350+

    I believe you are judging what they used to be years ago. They have
    come a long way since then.

    They are great lower-priced systems and are now an impact company on
    the computer market. I am very satisfied with mine (Athalon 3200+, &
    my son's Celeron [referred to] is just great for the price too). A
    one year standard warrantee (& a 2 additional years if you pay for
    it), & a 7 days a week 6 am to 12 pm voice tech help & quick email
    response says professional all of the way to me. Even just asking
    what kind of memory you can add - basic stuff, no problem.

    Gateway was impressed enough to merge with them recently.

    Big Mac

    "Big Mac" <no-email-in-usenet@zzz.org> wrote in message
    > michaelsomeone91@aol.comm.net.co (Michael) wrote:
    > >emachines arent very good computers. i'd get a refurb from dell or hp
    etc.
    > >compaq,hp have new computers about 350+
    >
    > I believe you are judging what they used to be years ago. They have
    > come a long way since then.
    >
    > They are great lower-priced systems and are now an impact company on
    > the computer market. I am very satisfied with mine (Athalon 3200+, &
    > my son's Celeron [referred to] is just great for the price too). A
    > one year standard warrantee (& a 2 additional years if you pay for
    > it), & a 7 days a week 6 am to 12 pm voice tech help & quick email
    > response says professional all of the way to me. Even just asking
    > what kind of memory you can add - basic stuff, no problem.
    >
    > Gateway was impressed enough to merge with them recently.
    >
    > Big Mac

    Do they have as many proprietary parts as the Dell systems?

    "snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote:
    >Do they have as many proprietary parts as the Dell systems?

    I don't think there are any eMachines proprietary parts. I am not
    100% sure about the motherboard, but I am guessing the motherboard &
    DVD & CD drives are all basic stuff that a non-eMachines buyer could
    get. My 3200+ model or my son's 2.7 GHz Celeron are advertised by
    other manufacturers.

    By the way - the sale is back at "Best Buy" starting today Sunday and
    running though 'til 6/12/04. if you know anyone who is looking to get
    into a complete system:

    A 2.7 GHz Celeron, 17 inch .25 dot pitch monitor, color jet printer,
    256 MBs RAM, 40 gig hard drive, a DVD-R/CD-RW drive, & XP loaded with
    recovery CDs, and a 1 year warrantee, al for a whopping:
    !! $339.97 !!
    after rebates - and I already got my rebates back for my son's
    computer (you pay $300 more up front and get the rebates).

    For $80 more, and I recommend this, you get 512 MBs RAM instead of
    256, and an 80 gig hard drive instead of the 40. They also bump up
    the processor to a 2.8 GHz (big deal a .1 bump). Only if you plan on
    going to 1GB RAM, would I not get the 512 upgrade - if & only if the
    512 they give is two 256 MB chips - but if it is one 512 chip, then go
    for it.

    EMachines does have a short list of recommended memory & replacement
    parts, but I added an off brand "Patriot" 512 MB chip to my 3200+ and
    it is working out at 1GB fine.

    Big Mac

Dell Internet Explorer Dimension Computers Product