Tech Help: Adjusting Stern Flipper Switches

I have a Sopranos where I began having the weak flipper. I called Stern
and they immediately sent out some of the new switches. Very quickly I
should add.

Put the new switch in and noticed a slight improvement. Still not where
it was before.

What else could I be missing? What is the correct length that the
switch contacts should be apart?

I took the flipper coil and the sleeve is not cracked. Flipper Fuse was
okay.

Be sure the flipper button points are clean. Gap them so when you push the
flipper button about one fourth to half way in it pushes the points closed
and back. Be sure the EOS points are clean and held together firmly. LTG :)

"Mark Salas" <msalas@salascorp.com> wrote in message
> I have a Sopranos where I began having the weak flipper. I called Stern
> and they immediately sent out some of the new switches. Very quickly I
> should add.
>
> Put the new switch in and noticed a slight improvement. Still not where
> it was before.
>
> What else could I be missing? What is the correct length that the
> switch contacts should be apart?
>
> I took the flipper coil and the sleeve is not cracked. Flipper Fuse was
> okay.

use double contact switches (2 round circles per switch).
those little itty bitty "half" contacts they use do not work correct.
im not sure why they still keep using them. sega did the same thing on
their later 90's pins.

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

I replaced my weak LOTR flipper contacts myself with some new large
silver contacts and haven't had a glitch in them since. Not a fan of
tungsten contacts.
So you are still having a weakness problem but only in that one
flipper, right? Clean your eos switches on the flipper units, and see
that they are both gapped the same amount (L and R).
You want the switches to have at least a 50% wipe on them (50% of the
distance they move, they are closed) but as long as you don't have them
ridiculously under-gapped it shouldn't really make any difference
power-wise.