Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Windows Explorer URL

Tags:
  • Windows Explorer
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
September 7, 2005 10:49:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have read some similar problems to mine regarding opening URLs, where the
suggestion is to go to Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | File Types
Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and to edit some of the data.

My problem is that this doesn't exist on my machine (XP SP2 ie6) and I don't
know how to reinstall it. The only URL file type I have got is URL:Internet
Shortcut which opens with Shell Doc Object and Control Library. I don't know
whether this does the same job.

I originally loaded XP Pro SP1 on my machine directly from the CD Rom, and
upgraded to SP2 via the internet. It now won't allow me to install an earlier
version over the later one, so I'm stuck as to how to correct damaged links
or perform reinstallations.

Any advice would be welcomed.

More about : windows explorer url

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 6:45:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

They are towards the top of the list.

The are listed with (None) in front of the name.

(None) URL:CallTo Protocol
(None) URL:File Transfer Protocol
(None) URL:Gopher Protocol
(None) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
(None) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy
(None) etcetera

What problem are you having?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D 92A31B8-D91D-4086-967D-61FD0BBB967F@microsoft.com,
Gary <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have read some similar problems to mine regarding opening URLs, where
> the suggestion is to go to Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options |
> File Types Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and to edit
> some of the data.
>
> My problem is that this doesn't exist on my machine (XP SP2 ie6) and I
> don't know how to reinstall it. The only URL file type I have got is
> URL:Internet Shortcut which opens with Shell Doc Object and Control
> Library. I don't know whether this does the same job.
>
> I originally loaded XP Pro SP1 on my machine directly from the CD Rom, and
> upgraded to SP2 via the internet. It now won't allow me to install an
> earlier version over the later one, so I'm stuck as to how to correct
> damaged links or perform reinstallations.
>
> Any advice would be welcomed.
September 9, 2005 7:52:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for your help. I've finally sorted my problem out. I couldn't open a
javascript pop up results window on a Sporting site, so at first I thought I
had a javascript problem. After reading javascript problem posts, my browser
passed all the tests on a javascript test site, so it couldn't be that.

I thought the window might be being seen as a pop up, so I enabled pop ups
in my spyware checkers, IE security and Norton Security and still had no
luck. In case there was a resident pop up blocker I was unaware of, I
completely removed all my spyware and adware blockers. Still nothing. I was
clutching at straws with this Windows Explorer URL thing.

My problem was that Norton saw this javascript pop up window as an advert
and not as a pop up, and once I turned off the Norton ad blocking service the
site works fine.

Thanks for your time and help.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> They are towards the top of the list.
>
> The are listed with (None) in front of the name.
>
> (None) URL:CallTo Protocol
> (None) URL:File Transfer Protocol
> (None) URL:Gopher Protocol
> (None) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
> (None) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy
> (None) etcetera
>
> What problem are you having?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:D 92A31B8-D91D-4086-967D-61FD0BBB967F@microsoft.com,
> Gary <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I have read some similar problems to mine regarding opening URLs, where
> > the suggestion is to go to Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options |
> > File Types Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and to edit
> > some of the data.
> >
> > My problem is that this doesn't exist on my machine (XP SP2 ie6) and I
> > don't know how to reinstall it. The only URL file type I have got is
> > URL:Internet Shortcut which opens with Shell Doc Object and Control
> > Library. I don't know whether this does the same job.
> >
> > I originally loaded XP Pro SP1 on my machine directly from the CD Rom, and
> > upgraded to SP2 via the internet. It now won't allow me to install an
> > earlier version over the later one, so I'm stuck as to how to correct
> > damaged links or perform reinstallations.
> >
> > Any advice would be welcomed.
>
>
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 12:59:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Glad you figured it out. Keep having fun. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:56E6EA32-5279-4623-B409-9DD55EE4251F@microsoft.com,
Gary <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks for your help. I've finally sorted my problem out. I couldn't open
> a javascript pop up results window on a Sporting site, so at first I
> thought I had a javascript problem. After reading javascript problem
> posts, my browser passed all the tests on a javascript test site, so it
> couldn't be that.
>
> I thought the window might be being seen as a pop up, so I enabled pop ups
> in my spyware checkers, IE security and Norton Security and still had no
> luck. In case there was a resident pop up blocker I was unaware of, I
> completely removed all my spyware and adware blockers. Still nothing. I
> was clutching at straws with this Windows Explorer URL thing.
>
> My problem was that Norton saw this javascript pop up window as an advert
> and not as a pop up, and once I turned off the Norton ad blocking service
> the site works fine.
>
> Thanks for your time and help.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> They are towards the top of the list.
>>
>> The are listed with (None) in front of the name.
>>
>> (None) URL:CallTo Protocol
>> (None) URL:File Transfer Protocol
>> (None) URL:Gopher Protocol
>> (None) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
>> (None) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy
>> (None) etcetera
>>
>> What problem are you having?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:D 92A31B8-D91D-4086-967D-61FD0BBB967F@microsoft.com,
>> Gary <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I have read some similar problems to mine regarding opening URLs, where
>>> the suggestion is to go to Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options |
>>> File Types Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and to edit
>>> some of the data.
>>>
>>> My problem is that this doesn't exist on my machine (XP SP2 ie6) and I
>>> don't know how to reinstall it. The only URL file type I have got is
>>> URL:Internet Shortcut which opens with Shell Doc Object and Control
>>> Library. I don't know whether this does the same job.
>>>
>>> I originally loaded XP Pro SP1 on my machine directly from the CD Rom,
>>> and upgraded to SP2 via the internet. It now won't allow me to install
>>> an earlier version over the later one, so I'm stuck as to how to correct
>>> damaged links or perform reinstallations.
>>>
>>> Any advice would be welcomed.