Sign in with
Your question

Installing New Hardware. Help!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 5, 2004 8:54:58 PM

1st post here. Please help out a n00b.

I just got my new Abit IS7 Series Motherboard. 2.6CGhz P4 CPU, (2x512)1GB Cosair Twinx DDR400 RAM, and a 52X Lite-On CD-RW. (I received and installed my 9600XT Video Card a couple of days ago, which will go in as well)

I have built computers before, and now all the procedures of taking stuff out, and putting stuff in, but I don't know what to do before yanking out the old, and putting in the new in terms of BIOS processes, and/or what I need to install or uninstall... Can anyone tell me exactly what I should do to successfully install all this stuff? Also, what else should I know, or do while/before installing?

Thanks!

More about : installing hardware

January 5, 2004 9:20:39 PM

- Backup all your important data on CDs or a second partition.
- Download the newest BIOS you can find on Abit's website and put it on a boot disk, along with Abit's BIOS flash utility.
- Install all the new hardware in your case.
- Update your BIOS using the boot disk you created earlier.
- Format you HDD and do a clean installation of Windows.

Good luck!

<b>Well, AMD is 3 letters while INTEL is 5 letters. Also, AMD starts with an A but INTEL starts with an I. And finally, their last difference is that AMD ends with a D, while INTEL ends with an L.</b>
January 5, 2004 9:24:20 PM

Wait, why do I have to format my HDD? I cannot just keep the current stuff on there?
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
January 5, 2004 9:28:09 PM

Backup your files if you have norton ghost or a similar program. Or if using win98 or win2000, try uninstalling all the system devices and drivers in the device manager before changing motherboards. Windows might reinstall without having to format.
January 5, 2004 9:34:35 PM

If you are changing a mobo you need to format. There is a possiblity that your system can work without formating but trust me, a clean installation of Windows will really boost the performance of your system. If you don't do that, I can already see you coming to these forums after a few days saying "Pls help me, I only get 10300 3DMarks, something is wrong with my system".

I really don't get it why everyone is so afraid to do a clean installation of Windows. Sure, it takes some time but the increase in performance is worth it. Simply spend some time before formating in order to make sure that you will backup anything that's important.

<b>Well, AMD is 3 letters while INTEL is 5 letters. Also, AMD starts with an A but INTEL starts with an I. And finally, their last difference is that AMD ends with a D, while INTEL ends with an L.</b>
January 5, 2004 9:57:56 PM

OK. so i will save all my important data on CD's. Then I will download the Abit driver and put it on a floppy, along with the flash utility. I will then take out all the old stuff, and put the new stuff in, then add in all the new stuff. Boot it up. Then what? Do I go into the BIOS? Just boot from the floppy? Or do I go into XP, and do something from there? Then after that is all done, I will then format the HDD, and reinstall XP?
!