Problem with Windows 7 installation.

manshiny

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I'm going to try explain this as best I can, and I apologize if I didn't put this in the wrong category, but to me it seems like a 'windows' issue.

I'm having trouble setting up my computer atm, I just began installing all my drivers, and I finally installed win7 after hours of dealing with what I believe was video card drivers.
So, I just installed all my main drivers and software (ethernet drivers, ATI catalyst, Steam, Skype, handful of smaller ones from the motherboards website) and when I restarted the computer, it decided to do a system restore, and it wiped everything.

So I did it all again, and again, it decided to do a system restore. Now, It's stuck in a constant cycle of start up, system repair, restart, so-on-so-forth.
Obviously I really REALLY want to get this sorted out, but I'm moving home soon, and someone I'm moving in with is great with computers and will be able to fix it up for me.

Anyway, as you know I installed everything and it got wiped, what I was planning on doing (I guess a safeguard) is to transfer one of the SSD's from the PC to my Laptop, use that as my back up drive and install all the games and software I want onto it (I want to use all the internet up here before I leave xD) then, when I get my other computer sorted out, place this SSD back into that computer and run the games/software as I would normally. Would this work? would I need to be careful of anything or any other advice would be great.

If you have any advice about the installation thing, please share, I'd love to sort that out asap as well. :) THanks!

As for installing the games and software outside of the OS you are going to run them on it will not really work with the exception of Steam. The reason being is that most games and software need to add things to the registry that will not be in place in the other computer. So the system will know where or if it is even installed.

You can get away with doing that for Steam because of the way Steam works it will write the registry info and such the first time the game is run. You would need to do a reinstall of Steam but as long as the steamapps\common folder is there the games will be installed.

manshiny

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

That's a shame :/ oh well I have a hunch the system restore is probably something with the drivers. I'll have another crack at it. Thank you :)