Question on Cable Modem?

terry

Hi,

I know this is off the topic a little bit. I have a Motorola cable
modem at home. It has a USB port and network port. I have two machines
that I want to connect to the internet. If I plug one machine into the
USB port and the other machine into the network port, only one machine
can be online at a time, not simultaneously. Is this normal or do I
have a bad modem?

Does DSL modem work the same way?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Terry

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:06:43 -0500, Terry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know this is off the topic a little bit. I have a Motorola cable
> modem at home. It has a USB port and network port. I have two machines
> that I want to connect to the internet. If I plug one machine into the
> USB port and the other machine into the network port, only one machine
> can be online at a time, not simultaneously. Is this normal or do I
> have a bad modem?
>
> Does DSL modem work the same way?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

No, you can use one of the other connection but not both. To split your
connection up you need a router. They're very easy to install and use and
with a broadband connection often times you won't even know there are 2
machines using the same connection.

You can also use a router on a DSL connection. I did in the old apartment
my wife and I lived in a couple years ago. We had up to 4 computers using
the connection at the same time. It's also handy for sharing a printer
between multiple computers.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Terry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know this is off the topic a little bit. I have a Motorola cable
> modem at home. It has a USB port and network port. I have two machines
> that I want to connect to the internet. If I plug one machine into the
> USB port and the other machine into the network port, only one machine
> can be online at a time, not simultaneously. Is this normal or do I
> have a bad modem?
>
> Does DSL modem work the same way?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

If you connect either port to a router, multiple computers can share the
same cable modem (something I & many others have done).

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Your cable company should have an online help forum, or call and ask the
tech support what router type and wireless card set up works best. I use a
"G" router, and PCI wireless card for comcast. My sister users a "B" router
setup for Road Runner service.

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> Terry wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I know this is off the topic a little bit. I have a Motorola cable modem
>> at home. It has a USB port and network port. I have two machines that I
>> want to connect to the internet. If I plug one machine into the USB port
>> and the other machine into the network port, only one machine can be
>> online at a time, not simultaneously. Is this normal or do I have a bad
>> modem?
>>
>> Does DSL modem work the same way?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> If you connect either port to a router, multiple computers can share the
> same cable modem (something I & many others have done).

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

get a router....some cable companies if called about home networking will
want to charge you for the additional computer..

routers are simple to install

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:59:58 -0700, tony wrote:

>> No, you can use one of the other connection but not both. To split your
>> connection up you need a router. They're very easy to install and use and
>> with a broadband connection often times you won't even know there are 2
>> machines using the same connection.
>>
>> You can also use a router on a DSL connection. I did in the old apartment
>> my wife and I lived in a couple years ago. We had up to 4 computers using
>> the connection at the same time. It's also handy for sharing a printer
>> between multiple computers.
>
> get a router....some cable companies if called about home networking will
> want to charge you for the additional computer..
>
> routers are simple to install

I have one already. :)

"Terry" <gobeyondgobeyond@Rem0ve.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I know this is off the topic a little bit. I have a Motorola cable
> modem at home. It has a USB port and network port. I have two
> machines
> that I want to connect to the internet. If I plug one machine into
> the
> USB port and the other machine into the network port, only one machine
> can be online at a time, not simultaneously. Is this normal or do I
> have a bad modem?
>
> Does DSL modem work the same way?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Terry

You really (trust me on this) do not want to connect directly to the
cable modem without a NAT router mediating access to your computers. If
you connect directly, your computer becomes part of the internet and can
be seen by every script kiddie, virus, worm, trojan that exists.
Antivirus and firewall are necessities in any event, but with a direct
connection they become essential.

On your original question, *most* cable modems allow only one or the
other of USB or ethernet at a time.

"Quaoar" wrote:
> You really (trust me on this) do not want to connect
> directly to the cable modem without a NAT router
> mediating access to your computers.

What's wrong with having a software firewall with
stateful inspection within the PC, such as Zone Alarm
or Norton Personal Firewall, and not having an router?

*TimDaniels*

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> "Quaoar" wrote:
>> You really (trust me on this) do not want to connect
>> directly to the cable modem without a NAT router
>> mediating access to your computers.
>
> What's wrong with having a software firewall with
> stateful inspection within the PC, such as Zone Alarm
> or Norton Personal Firewall, and not having an router?
>
> *TimDaniels*

There is nothing wrong with that - both firewall and A/V are mandatory
for all computers, IMO. The problem is that when your computer is
directly connected to broadband, it is directly connected to the entire
internet via your public IP address. It's like having a home with no
walls on a busy city street. A router imposes on additional level of
frustration to anyone interested in compromising your computer since the
router takes the public IP address and routes to your private LAN
address. It takes time and effort to find your private LAN address
through the router particularly if you change the default router LAN
address and deny certain protocols in the router, minimizing the chances
of a direct attack on your computer. You can set up the router to
essentially hide your private presence, as much as that can be done.
OTOH, there are perhaps millions of computers directly connected to the
internet successfully. Conversely, the power and scope of direct
attacks are becoming more sophisticated and those directly connected
with a public IP address are the test bed for those attacks.