Windows XP CD

When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My OS).
I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them but
they would be nice to have.
I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I create
a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?
19 answers Last reply
More about windows

    In news:%232K%23R57sFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    artce@yahoo.com <arthurcemail-newsgroup@yahoo.com> typed:

    > When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP
    > Pro(
    > My OS). I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I
    > have not
    > needed them but they would be nice to have.
    > I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is;
    > How do I
    > create a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of
    > trouble.?

    If you're asking how to create a Windows installation CD from
    your OEM's Restore CD, the answer is that you can *not* do this.
    If your OEM doesn't supply one, your only recourse it to buy one
    yourself.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    hai,

    i would like to add a question here about XP CD.

    My friend is selling his XP CD with the serial number booklet OEM. He is
    switching to another operating system.

    So i would like to know is it leagal to buy and use the Windows XP that have
    been registed online by another user. Should i buy the XP CD from him with
    the serial number booklet OEM.

    Thank you in advance

    alexkumar
    MALAYISA

    "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:

    > When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My OS).
    > I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them but
    > they would be nice to have.
    > I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I create
    > a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

    Since one cannot modify a PC manufacturer's Restore CD,
    you'll have to purchase a conventional Windows XP CD.
    Otherwise, you'll have to use the Restore CD in accordance
    with the manufacturer's recommended recovery method.

    Examples:

    Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151

    Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
    http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "artce" wrote:

    | When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My OS).
    | I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them but
    | they would be nice to have.
    | I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I create
    | a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

    If they purchase a Windows XP CD, wouldn't that make it two operating
    systems for one computer, and doesn't the EULA specifically state one
    operating system per computer?

    In news:9FDF8EA8-E9DC-44C3-B642-B9B5B9252B9C@microsoft.com,
    Alexkumar <Alexkumar@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > i would like to add a question here about XP CD.
    >
    > My friend is selling his XP CD with the serial number booklet
    > OEM. He
    > is switching to another operating system.
    >
    > So i would like to know is it leagal to buy and use the Windows
    > XP
    > that have been registed online by another user. Should i buy
    > the XP
    > CD from him with the serial number booklet OEM.

    No. The license for OEM versions permanently ties them to the
    first computer they are installed on. They can never legally be
    transferred to another computer, sold, or given away.

    This is one of the principal reasons that OEM versions are
    cheaper than retail versions; their license is much more
    restrictive.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Call the manufacture and ask them to send you an OEM copy for your machine,
    this way you will be legal and not have to purchase a 2nd copy of the OS
    media.

    --
    Thank you,
    Gp

    Grp at t k s o l dot c o m

    "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:

    > When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My OS).
    > I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them but
    > they would be nice to have.
    > I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I create
    > a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

    hai, refer to my former question. So if it was a retail versions XP CD box.
    Then it could be sold to another user if he decided to change operating
    system, event it has been registed on line?
    Yes or No. Just to confirm.

    Thank you for your crearification before.

    alexkumar
    (Malaysia)

    In news:90F4FF27-28D3-4930-B223-96FCEFD52616@microsoft.com,
    Alexkumar <Alexkumar@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > hai, refer to my former question. So if it was a retail
    > versions XP
    > CD box. Then it could be sold to another user if he decided to
    > change
    > operating system, event it has been registed on line?
    > Yes or No. Just to confirm.

    Yes, that's correct.

    > Thank you for your crearification before.

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:9FDF8EA8-E9DC-44C3-B642-B9B5B9252B9C@microsoft.com,
    >> Alexkumar <Alexkumar@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> i would like to add a question here about XP CD.
    >>>
    >>> My friend is selling his XP CD with the serial number booklet
    >>> OEM. He
    >>> is switching to another operating system.
    >>>
    >>> So i would like to know is it leagal to buy and use the
    >>> Windows
    >>> XP
    >>> that have been registed online by another user. Should i buy
    >>> the XP
    >>> CD from him with the serial number booklet OEM.
    >>

    >> No. The license for OEM versions permanently ties them to the
    >> first computer they are installed on. They can never legally
    >> be
    >> transferred to another computer, sold, or given away.
    >>
    >> This is one of the principal reasons that OEM versions are
    >> cheaper than retail versions; their license is much more
    >> restrictive.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    The license goes with the computer. It can't be "sold" separately.

    Alexkumar wrote:

    > hai,
    >
    > i would like to add a question here about XP CD.
    >
    > My friend is selling his XP CD with the serial number booklet OEM. He is
    > switching to another operating system.
    >
    > So i would like to know is it leagal to buy and use the Windows XP that have
    > been registed online by another user. Should i buy the XP CD from him with
    > the serial number booklet OEM.
    >
    > Thank you in advance
    >
    > alexkumar
    > MALAYISA
    >

    > "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:
    >

    >>When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My OS).
    >>I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them but
    >>they would be nice to have.
    >>I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I create
    >>a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

    Thanks.
    (I didn't mean to open a can of worms here!)

    "Garyp" <Garyp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Call the manufacture and ask them to send you an OEM copy for your
    machine,
    > this way you will be legal and not have to purchase a 2nd copy of the OS
    > media.
    >

    > --
    > Thank you,
    > Gp
    >
    > Grp at t k s o l dot c o m
    >

    > "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:
    >
    > > When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My
    OS).
    > > I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them
    but
    > > they would be nice to have.
    > > I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I
    create
    > > a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

    Are you just thick, or being funny?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Mark" <markopolo@thewideearth.net> wrote in message
    > If they purchase a Windows XP CD, wouldn't that make it two operating
    > systems for one computer, and doesn't the EULA specifically state one
    > operating system per computer?

    >> Since one cannot modify a PC manufacturer's Restore CD,
    >> you'll have to purchase a conventional Windows XP CD.
    >> Otherwise, you'll have to use the Restore CD in accordance
    >> with the manufacturer's recommended recovery method.
    >>
    >> Examples:
    >>
    >> Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
    >>
    >> Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
    >> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> "artce" wrote:
    >>
    >> | When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My
    >> OS).
    >> | I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed
    >> them but
    >> | they would be nice to have.
    >> | I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I
    >> create
    >> | a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

    If you can't tell, perhaps you are the one who is thick little richard!

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Are you just thick, or being funny?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    >
    > "Mark" <markopolo@thewideearth.net> wrote in message
    >> If they purchase a Windows XP CD, wouldn't that make it two operating
    >> systems for one computer, and doesn't the EULA specifically state one
    >> operating system per computer?
    >>

    >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Since one cannot modify a PC manufacturer's Restore CD,
    >>> you'll have to purchase a conventional Windows XP CD.
    >>> Otherwise, you'll have to use the Restore CD in accordance
    >>> with the manufacturer's recommended recovery method.
    >>>
    >>> Examples:
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
    >>> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Carey Frisch
    >>> Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >>> Microsoft Newsgroups
    >>>
    >>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    >>> My OS).
    >>> them but
    >>> create

    Did you read the post? What is it in there you do not understand?

    --
    Peter

    "Mark" <markopolo@thewideearth.net> wrote in message news:evuyrg8sFHA.2792@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > If they purchase a Windows XP CD, wouldn't that make it two operating
    > systems for one computer, and doesn't the EULA specifically state one
    > operating system per computer?

    >> Since one cannot modify a PC manufacturer's Restore CD,
    >> you'll have to purchase a conventional Windows XP CD.
    >> Otherwise, you'll have to use the Restore CD in accordance
    >> with the manufacturer's recommended recovery method.
    >>
    >> Examples:
    >>
    >> Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
    >>
    >> Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
    >> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> "artce" wrote:
    >>
    >> | When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My
    >> OS).
    >> | I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them
    >> but
    >> | they would be nice to have.
    >> | I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I
    >> create
    >> | a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

    You misquoted the EULA (PRO is example)

    " You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Product
    on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
    ("Workstation Computer"). The Product may not be used by more than two
    (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

    Alexkumar wrote:
    > hai,
    >
    > i would like to add a question here about XP CD.
    >
    > My friend is selling his XP CD with the serial number booklet OEM. He is
    > switching to another operating system.

    Has he installed that OEM license? If so, the only way your friend can
    legitimately transfer ownership of that OEM license would be to include
    the entire computer in the deal.

    OEM versions must be sold with a piece of non-peripheral hardware
    (normally a motherboard or hard drive, if not an entire PC, although
    Microsoft has greatly relaxed the hardware criteria for WinXP) and are
    _permanently_ bound to the first PC on which they are installed. An OEM
    license, once installed, is not legally transferable to another computer
    under any circumstances. This is the main reason some people avoid OEM
    versions; if the PC dies or is otherwise disposed of (even stolen), you
    cannot re-use your OEM license on a new PC. The only legitimate way to
    transfer the ownership of an installed OEM license is to transfer
    ownership of the entire PC.

    > So i would like to know is it leagal to buy and use the Windows XP that have
    > been registed online by another user. Should i buy the XP CD from him with
    > the serial number booklet OEM.

    Only if it has never been installed upon a computer.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    You have a good topic to discuss not a problem with me, I hope you were able
    to contact the Manufacture to get a copy of the OS media.

    --
    Thank you,
    Gp

    Grp at t k s o l dot c o m

    "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:

    > Thanks.
    > (I didn't mean to open a can of worms here!)
    >
    > "Garyp" <Garyp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Call the manufacture and ask them to send you an OEM copy for your
    > machine,
    > > this way you will be legal and not have to purchase a 2nd copy of the OS
    > > media.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Thank you,
    > > Gp
    > >
    > > Grp at t k s o l dot c o m
    > >

    > > "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:
    > >
    > > > When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My
    > OS).
    > > > I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them
    > but
    > > > they would be nice to have.
    > > > I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I
    > create
    > > > a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

    Is it legal to use the windows product key from a emachine computer that the
    motherboard quit working and then installed another motherboard from a
    different computer "HP" Is it still legal to use the number????

    "Garyp" wrote:

    > You have a good topic to discuss not a problem with me, I hope you were able
    > to contact the Manufacture to get a copy of the OS media.
    >
    > --
    > Thank you,
    > Gp
    >
    > Grp at t k s o l dot c o m
    >

    > "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks.
    > > (I didn't mean to open a can of worms here!)
    > >
    > > "Garyp" <Garyp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Call the manufacture and ask them to send you an OEM copy for your
    > > machine,
    > > > this way you will be legal and not have to purchase a 2nd copy of the OS
    > > > media.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Thank you,
    > > > Gp
    > > >
    > > > Grp at t k s o l dot c o m

    > > OS).
    > > but
    > > create

    did you get the manufacture oem cd from them??? I basicly have the same
    problem with an emachines.. i have a new motherboard for it.. but the
    recovery cds.. don't boot the xp after "ghosting " it

    "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:

    > Thanks.
    > (I didn't mean to open a can of worms here!)
    >
    > "Garyp" <Garyp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Call the manufacture and ask them to send you an OEM copy for your
    > machine,
    > > this way you will be legal and not have to purchase a 2nd copy of the OS
    > > media.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Thank you,
    > > Gp
    > >
    > > Grp at t k s o l dot c o m
    > >

    > > "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:
    > >
    > > > When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My
    > OS).
    > > > I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them
    > but
    > > > they would be nice to have.
    > > > I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I
    > create
    > > > a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

    Basically what is happing here is that each motherboard has different HAL
    types, the ghost image is based on the original HAL, and the new motherboard
    requires a different HAL, it would be best to do a fresh install of XP in
    this case. Suggestion you may want to get a professional to perform the work
    if you are having difficulties with the install.

    You may want to review the following articles:
    How to force a Hardware Abstraction Layer during an upgrade or an
    installation of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299340

    Information on different types of HAL's
    HAL options after Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 Setup
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309283

    --
    gRp

    Grp at t k s o l dot c o m

    "Richard Golden" wrote:

    > did you get the manufacture oem cd from them??? I basicly have the same
    > problem with an emachines.. i have a new motherboard for it.. but the
    > recovery cds.. don't boot the xp after "ghosting " it
    >
    > "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks.
    > > (I didn't mean to open a can of worms here!)
    > >
    > > "Garyp" <Garyp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Call the manufacture and ask them to send you an OEM copy for your
    > > machine,
    > > > this way you will be legal and not have to purchase a 2nd copy of the OS
    > > > media.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Thank you,
    > > > Gp