When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My OS).
I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them but
they would be nice to have.
I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I create
a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

In news:%232K%23R57sFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
artce@yahoo.com <arthurcemail-newsgroup@yahoo.com> typed:

> When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP
> Pro(
> My OS). I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I
> have not
> needed them but they would be nice to have.
> I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is;
> How do I
> create a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of
> trouble.?

If you're asking how to create a Windows installation CD from
your OEM's Restore CD, the answer is that you can *not* do this.
If your OEM doesn't supply one, your only recourse it to buy one
yourself.

Please reply to the newsgroup

hai,

i would like to add a question here about XP CD.

My friend is selling his XP CD with the serial number booklet OEM. He is
switching to another operating system.

So i would like to know is it leagal to buy and use the Windows XP that have
been registed online by another user. Should i buy the XP CD from him with
the serial number booklet OEM.

Thank you in advance

alexkumar
MALAYISA

"artce@yahoo.com" wrote:

> When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My OS).
> I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them but
> they would be nice to have.
> I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I create
> a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

Since one cannot modify a PC manufacturer's Restore CD,
you'll have to purchase a conventional Windows XP CD.
Otherwise, you'll have to use the Restore CD in accordance
with the manufacturer's recommended recovery method.

Examples:

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151

Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"artce" wrote:

| When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My OS).
| I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them but
| they would be nice to have.
| I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I create
| a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

mark

If they purchase a Windows XP CD, wouldn't that make it two operating
systems for one computer, and doesn't the EULA specifically state one
operating system per computer?

In news:9FDF8EA8-E9DC-44C3-B642-B9B5B9252B9C@microsoft.com,
Alexkumar <Alexkumar@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> i would like to add a question here about XP CD.
>
> My friend is selling his XP CD with the serial number booklet
> OEM. He
> is switching to another operating system.
>
> So i would like to know is it leagal to buy and use the Windows
> XP
> that have been registed online by another user. Should i buy
> the XP
> CD from him with the serial number booklet OEM.

No. The license for OEM versions permanently ties them to the
first computer they are installed on. They can never legally be
transferred to another computer, sold, or given away.

This is one of the principal reasons that OEM versions are
cheaper than retail versions; their license is much more
restrictive.

Please reply to the newsgroup

garyp

Call the manufacture and ask them to send you an OEM copy for your machine,
this way you will be legal and not have to purchase a 2nd copy of the OS
media.

--
Thank you,
Gp

Grp at t k s o l dot c o m

"artce@yahoo.com" wrote:

> When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My OS).
> I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them but
> they would be nice to have.
> I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I create
> a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

hai, refer to my former question. So if it was a retail versions XP CD box.
Then it could be sold to another user if he decided to change operating
system, event it has been registed on line?
Yes or No. Just to confirm.

Thank you for your crearification before.

alexkumar
(Malaysia)

In news:90F4FF27-28D3-4930-B223-96FCEFD52616@microsoft.com,
Alexkumar <Alexkumar@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> hai, refer to my former question. So if it was a retail
> versions XP
> CD box. Then it could be sold to another user if he decided to
> change
> operating system, event it has been registed on line?
> Yes or No. Just to confirm.

Yes, that's correct.

> Thank you for your crearification before.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:9FDF8EA8-E9DC-44C3-B642-B9B5B9252B9C@microsoft.com,
>> Alexkumar <Alexkumar@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> i would like to add a question here about XP CD.
>>>
>>> My friend is selling his XP CD with the serial number booklet
>>> OEM. He
>>> is switching to another operating system.
>>>
>>> So i would like to know is it leagal to buy and use the
>>> Windows
>>> XP
>>> that have been registed online by another user. Should i buy
>>> the XP
>>> CD from him with the serial number booklet OEM.
>>

>> No. The license for OEM versions permanently ties them to the
>> first computer they are installed on. They can never legally
>> be
>> transferred to another computer, sold, or given away.
>>
>> This is one of the principal reasons that OEM versions are
>> cheaper than retail versions; their license is much more
>> restrictive.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

The license goes with the computer. It can't be "sold" separately.

Alexkumar wrote:

> hai,
>
> i would like to add a question here about XP CD.
>
> My friend is selling his XP CD with the serial number booklet OEM. He is
> switching to another operating system.
>
> So i would like to know is it leagal to buy and use the Windows XP that have
> been registed online by another user. Should i buy the XP CD from him with
> the serial number booklet OEM.
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> alexkumar
> MALAYISA
>

> "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:
>

>>When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My OS).
>>I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them but
>>they would be nice to have.
>>I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I create
>>a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

Thanks.
(I didn't mean to open a can of worms here!)

"Garyp" <Garyp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Call the manufacture and ask them to send you an OEM copy for your
machine,
> this way you will be legal and not have to purchase a 2nd copy of the OS
> media.
>

> --
> Thank you,
> Gp
>
> Grp at t k s o l dot c o m
>

> "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:
>
> > When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My
OS).
> > I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them
but
> > they would be nice to have.
> > I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I
create
> > a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

Are you just thick, or being funny?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Mark" <markopolo@thewideearth.net> wrote in message
> If they purchase a Windows XP CD, wouldn't that make it two operating
> systems for one computer, and doesn't the EULA specifically state one
> operating system per computer?

>> Since one cannot modify a PC manufacturer's Restore CD,
>> you'll have to purchase a conventional Windows XP CD.
>> Otherwise, you'll have to use the Restore CD in accordance
>> with the manufacturer's recommended recovery method.
>>
>> Examples:
>>
>> Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
>>
>> Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
>> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> "artce" wrote:
>>
>> | When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My
>> OS).
>> | I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed
>> them but
>> | they would be nice to have.
>> | I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I
>> create
>> | a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

mark

If you can't tell, perhaps you are the one who is thick little richard!

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Are you just thick, or being funny?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Mark" <markopolo@thewideearth.net> wrote in message
>> If they purchase a Windows XP CD, wouldn't that make it two operating
>> systems for one computer, and doesn't the EULA specifically state one
>> operating system per computer?
>>

>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Since one cannot modify a PC manufacturer's Restore CD,
>>> you'll have to purchase a conventional Windows XP CD.
>>> Otherwise, you'll have to use the Restore CD in accordance
>>> with the manufacturer's recommended recovery method.
>>>
>>> Examples:
>>>
>>> Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
>>>
>>> Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
>>> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carey Frisch
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>> My OS).
>>> them but
>>> create

Did you read the post? What is it in there you do not understand?

--
Peter

"Mark" <markopolo@thewideearth.net> wrote in message news:evuyrg8sFHA.2792@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> If they purchase a Windows XP CD, wouldn't that make it two operating
> systems for one computer, and doesn't the EULA specifically state one
> operating system per computer?

>> Since one cannot modify a PC manufacturer's Restore CD,
>> you'll have to purchase a conventional Windows XP CD.
>> Otherwise, you'll have to use the Restore CD in accordance
>> with the manufacturer's recommended recovery method.
>>
>> Examples:
>>
>> Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
>>
>> Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
>> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> "artce" wrote:
>>
>> | When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My
>> OS).
>> | I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them
>> but
>> | they would be nice to have.
>> | I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I
>> create
>> | a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

You misquoted the EULA (PRO is example)

" You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Product
on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
("Workstation Computer"). The Product may not be used by more than two
(2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

Alexkumar wrote:
> hai,
>
> i would like to add a question here about XP CD.
>
> My friend is selling his XP CD with the serial number booklet OEM. He is
> switching to another operating system.

Has he installed that OEM license? If so, the only way your friend can
legitimately transfer ownership of that OEM license would be to include
the entire computer in the deal.

OEM versions must be sold with a piece of non-peripheral hardware
(normally a motherboard or hard drive, if not an entire PC, although
Microsoft has greatly relaxed the hardware criteria for WinXP) and are
_permanently_ bound to the first PC on which they are installed. An OEM
license, once installed, is not legally transferable to another computer
under any circumstances. This is the main reason some people avoid OEM
versions; if the PC dies or is otherwise disposed of (even stolen), you
cannot re-use your OEM license on a new PC. The only legitimate way to
transfer the ownership of an installed OEM license is to transfer
ownership of the entire PC.

> So i would like to know is it leagal to buy and use the Windows XP that have
> been registed online by another user. Should i buy the XP CD from him with
> the serial number booklet OEM.

Only if it has never been installed upon a computer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

garyp

You have a good topic to discuss not a problem with me, I hope you were able
to contact the Manufacture to get a copy of the OS media.

--
Thank you,
Gp

Grp at t k s o l dot c o m

"artce@yahoo.com" wrote:

> Thanks.
> (I didn't mean to open a can of worms here!)
>
> "Garyp" <Garyp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Call the manufacture and ask them to send you an OEM copy for your
> machine,
> > this way you will be legal and not have to purchase a 2nd copy of the OS
> > media.
> >

> > --
> > Thank you,
> > Gp
> >
> > Grp at t k s o l dot c o m
> >

> > "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:
> >
> > > When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My
> OS).
> > > I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them
> but
> > > they would be nice to have.
> > > I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I
> create
> > > a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

Is it legal to use the windows product key from a emachine computer that the
motherboard quit working and then installed another motherboard from a
different computer "HP" Is it still legal to use the number????

"Garyp" wrote:

> You have a good topic to discuss not a problem with me, I hope you were able
> to contact the Manufacture to get a copy of the OS media.
>
> --
> Thank you,
> Gp
>
> Grp at t k s o l dot c o m
>

> "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:
>
> > Thanks.
> > (I didn't mean to open a can of worms here!)
> >
> > "Garyp" <Garyp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Call the manufacture and ask them to send you an OEM copy for your
> > machine,
> > > this way you will be legal and not have to purchase a 2nd copy of the OS
> > > media.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Thank you,
> > > Gp
> > >
> > > Grp at t k s o l dot c o m

> > OS).
> > but
> > create

did you get the manufacture oem cd from them??? I basicly have the same
problem with an emachines.. i have a new motherboard for it.. but the
recovery cds.. don't boot the xp after "ghosting " it

"artce@yahoo.com" wrote:

> Thanks.
> (I didn't mean to open a can of worms here!)
>
> "Garyp" <Garyp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Call the manufacture and ask them to send you an OEM copy for your
> machine,
> > this way you will be legal and not have to purchase a 2nd copy of the OS
> > media.
> >

> > --
> > Thank you,
> > Gp
> >
> > Grp at t k s o l dot c o m
> >

> > "artce@yahoo.com" wrote:
> >
> > > When I purchased my Computer I did not get CD with Windows XP Pro( My
> OS).
> > > I only received a set of Restore CDs. Fortunately I have not needed them
> but
> > > they would be nice to have.
> > > I have a CD/DVD burner with Roxio Disc Creator. Question is; How do I
> create
> > > a CD with just XP which is bootable just in case of trouble.?

garyp

Basically what is happing here is that each motherboard has different HAL
types, the ghost image is based on the original HAL, and the new motherboard
requires a different HAL, it would be best to do a fresh install of XP in
this case. Suggestion you may want to get a professional to perform the work
if you are having difficulties with the install.

You may want to review the following articles:
How to force a Hardware Abstraction Layer during an upgrade or an
installation of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299340

Information on different types of HAL's
HAL options after Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309283

--
gRp

Grp at t k s o l dot c o m