flashing a dell motherboard with bios from intel?

hello all!
i recently bought a dell motherboard with intel d865vp written on it.
it has the 865gv chipset and has all specifications of an original
intel 865gvhz motherboard.
the bios says, that it is an optiplex 170l. since i now just have the
mainboard and want to get rid of the dell logo and the not very
sophisticating settings in the bios my question: is it possible to
flash the bios with a bios that is not made by dell?
i know that there is always some risk to flash it, when its not by the
manufacturer, but what could happen if its obviously an intel board?
i looked on the intel page, but there is no board called d865vp...
does dell change the boards on a hardware level?
maybe someone already tried to update a dell mainboard with a intel
bios or some similar bios for the used specifications?
thanks in advance!
greets

Intel undoubtedly made the D865VP as a special board for Dell only. The VP
designation may well reflect differences in front panel header, USB header, and
cooling fan header which are typical of Dell motherboards compared to generic
Intel-branded boards. Dell's system assembler (probably Foxconn in this case)
simply takes the motherboard from the manufacturer and installs it without any
changes in a Dell chassis. Dell has no capability to modify the board hardware.
In fact, I doubt that a Dell employee ever touches a system on its way from
assembly line to buyer.

The risk is stated simply. If you flash an Intel BIOS onto the board, you may
well make the board useless. HOW to do so is another question. It will not
suffice to simply run the flash BIOS update for the D865GVHZ. You need also to
determine how to force the flash BIOS program to disregard its usual check for a
match between motherboard BIOS and the BIOS on the update medium.

Honestly, an Intel BIOS does not offer lots of options, either. Probably not
much more sophisticated than the Dell BIOS. I recommend that you don't take the
risk. If you do, let us know how it all worked out... Ben Myers

On 25 Aug 2004 20:00:18 -0700, synkro_nized@yahoo.de (synkro) wrote:

>hello all!
>i recently bought a dell motherboard with intel d865vp written on it.
>it has the 865gv chipset and has all specifications of an original
>intel 865gvhz motherboard.
>the bios says, that it is an optiplex 170l. since i now just have the
>mainboard and want to get rid of the dell logo and the not very
>sophisticating settings in the bios my question: is it possible to
>flash the bios with a bios that is not made by dell?
>i know that there is always some risk to flash it, when its not by the
>manufacturer, but what could happen if its obviously an intel board?
>i looked on the intel page, but there is no board called d865vp...
>does dell change the boards on a hardware level?
>maybe someone already tried to update a dell mainboard with a intel
>bios or some similar bios for the used specifications?
>thanks in advance!
>greets

Whilst it is true that Intel bioses may not offer more "features" (e.g
for tweaking or overclocking), they are often updated and supported
for longer than the equivalent Dell ones. For example, Dell's bios
for the AL440LX a few years ago wouldn't support fast chips on
slockets, but Intel's one did. If only there were an Intel bios for
the GX1 motherboard that didn't have Dell's deliberate patch to
prevent faster processor being used!

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<412d593a.25809588@news.charter.net>...
> Intel undoubtedly made the D865VP as a special board for Dell only. The VP
> designation may well reflect differences in front panel header, USB header, and
> cooling fan header which are typical of Dell motherboards compared to generic
> Intel-branded boards. Dell's system assembler (probably Foxconn in this case)
> simply takes the motherboard from the manufacturer and installs it without any
> changes in a Dell chassis. Dell has no capability to modify the board hardware.
> In fact, I doubt that a Dell employee ever touches a system on its way from
> assembly line to buyer.
>
> The risk is stated simply. If you flash an Intel BIOS onto the board, you may
> well make the board useless. HOW to do so is another question. It will not
> suffice to simply run the flash BIOS update for the D865GVHZ. You need also to
> determine how to force the flash BIOS program to disregard its usual check for a
> match between motherboard BIOS and the BIOS on the update medium.
>
> Honestly, an Intel BIOS does not offer lots of options, either. Probably not
> much more sophisticated than the Dell BIOS. I recommend that you don't take the
> risk. If you do, let us know how it all worked out... Ben Myers
>
> On 25 Aug 2004 20:00:18 -0700, synkro_nized@yahoo.de (synkro) wrote:
>
> >hello all!
> >i recently bought a dell motherboard with intel d865vp written on it.
> >it has the 865gv chipset and has all specifications of an original
> >intel 865gvhz motherboard.
> >the bios says, that it is an optiplex 170l. since i now just have the
> >mainboard and want to get rid of the dell logo and the not very
> >sophisticating settings in the bios my question: is it possible to
> >flash the bios with a bios that is not made by dell?
> >i know that there is always some risk to flash it, when its not by the
> >manufacturer, but what could happen if its obviously an intel board?
> >i looked on the intel page, but there is no board called d865vp...
> >does dell change the boards on a hardware level?
> >maybe someone already tried to update a dell mainboard with a intel
> >bios or some similar bios for the used specifications?
> >thanks in advance!
> >greets

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

synkro wrote:

> hello all!
> i recently bought a dell motherboard with intel d865vp written on it.
> it has the 865gv chipset and has all specifications of an original
> intel 865gvhz motherboard.
> the bios says, that it is an optiplex 170l. since i now just have the
> mainboard and want to get rid of the dell logo and the not very
> sophisticating settings in the bios my question: is it possible to
> flash the bios with a bios that is not made by dell?
> i know that there is always some risk to flash it, when its not by the
> manufacturer, but what could happen if its obviously an intel board?
> i looked on the intel page, but there is no board called d865vp...
> does dell change the boards on a hardware level?
> maybe someone already tried to update a dell mainboard with a intel
> bios or some similar bios for the used specifications?
> thanks in advance!
> greets

FWIW, I tried flashing my Dim XPS B866r with an Intel BIOS and the
loader refused to proceed. I don't think you can do it and it's probably
not a good idea to force it if you could.

Yes, you're right. Intel BIOS updates often add support for more processors,
which is usually the best rationale for using them. One other feature I've seen
is that an Intel BIOS sometimes offers more control over BIOS settings than a
Dell BIOS. For example, a Dell BIOS typically offers only "Disabled" and "Auto"
as choices for on-board USB support. An Intel BIOS usually also has the
explicit choice of "Enabled". I tend to like the explicit choices, because then
one knows EXACTLY the state of the setting... Ben Myers