standby to hibernate

Hi,

I just got a 600m and put both a primary and harddrive password on it.
I notice that if the computer goes into standby mode, and then tries
to go into hibernation, it will prompt for the passwords before going
into hibernation. Is there a way to prevent this? (besides just
disabling hibernation or disabling standby mode)

If I'm away from my computer for extended periods of time, I dont want
the password prompt to come up onto the screen and just sit there,
burning up the LCD.
2 answers Last reply
More about standby hibernate

    Steven Wong <gndm_2001@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I just got a 600m and put both a primary and harddrive password on it.
    > I notice that if the computer goes into standby mode, and then tries
    > to go into hibernation, it will prompt for the passwords before going
    > into hibernation. Is there a way to prevent this? (besides just
    > disabling hibernation or disabling standby mode)

    > If I'm away from my computer for extended periods of time, I dont want
    > the password prompt to come up onto the screen and just sit there,
    > burning up the LCD.

    Have you tried enabling standby / disabling hibernation?

    Jim <jgrafton@mindpsring.com> wrote in message news:<c8tek7$a3u$1@gondor.sdsu.edu>...
    > Steven Wong <gndm_2001@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > > Hi,
    >
    > > I just got a 600m and put both a primary and harddrive password on it.
    > > I notice that if the computer goes into standby mode, and then tries
    > > to go into hibernation, it will prompt for the passwords before going
    > > into hibernation. Is there a way to prevent this? (besides just
    > > disabling hibernation or disabling standby mode)
    >
    > > If I'm away from my computer for extended periods of time, I dont want
    > > the password prompt to come up onto the screen and just sit there,
    > > burning up the LCD.
    >
    > Have you tried enabling standby / disabling hibernation?

    Yes I could do that, but ideally I would want my laptop to enter
    standby mode if I am away for say, about 5 minutes. Then, since
    standby mode takes a bit of battery power, I would want my laptop to
    go into hibernation after about an hour. So I would need both Standby
    and hibernation modes enabled.

    Looking around the Dell Support website, I found this question has
    been asked many times, with the only reply, dated 2001, saying there
    was no solution to this problem. I'm hoping that after 3 years Dell
    has been able to fix this?

    Thanks for the reply,

Dell Hibernation Hibernate Computer Computers