MN 700 And Windows XP Service Pack 2 Firewall

The MN 700 suggests to turn off all local firewalls as it
has a firewall included. I just upgraded to XP SP2 and
the firewall was turned on by default. Is it recommended
to again turn the client firewall off if the computer is
only connected to the Internet via the MN-700 with its
firewall enabled? WIll there be conflicts with two
firewalls enabled?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows service pack firewall

    Run both. The XP SP2 Windows Firewall won't bother your LAN, but it will
    block transmissions from other machines thereon which you haven't approved.
    This is especially helpful if you've got someone who uses a portable machine
    and accesses another LAN at work or school, OR if someone within you own LAN
    happens to click on something in an email, for instance, which contains an
    infection.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Run both. The XP SP2 Windows Firewall won't bother your LAN, but it will
    > block transmissions from other machines thereon which you haven't
    > approved. This is especially helpful if you've got someone who uses a
    > portable machine and accesses another LAN at work or school, OR if someone
    > within you own LAN happens to click on something in an email, for
    > instance, which contains an infection.
    > --
    Yes, you can run the Windows Firewall and most third party firewalls with no
    trouble.
    You will probably have to disable them if you actually reinstall and
    configure your
    network again, or if you upgrade the firmware for your base station, but you
    can again
    turn the firewall back on when you finish.

    The Windows firewall won't really give you any more protection from attacks
    from the internet, since there is a hardware firewall in the base station.
    It does
    provide some protection if other computers on your LAN are infected, but
    it is normally not as much protection as you have from the internet because
    you may have file and printer sharing enabled on your LAN, and that lowers
    your security.

    A third party firewall, such as ZoneAlarm would provide additional security
    by giving early warning if a Trojan program on your computer tries to
    connect
    to the internet or one of the other computers on your LAN. It also gives you
    control over legitimate programs that you may not want to connect to the
    internet
    or to your LAN.

    So, in order of increasing security:

    No software firewall(just depend on Base Station firewall) < Windows
    firewall <
    Third Party firewall(most likely with Windows firewall off)

    Hope this helps.

    Dick Kistler

Routers Firewalls Windows XP Networking