Chrome Spray Paint- Surprisingly good!

I was just finishing my Midway Sea Devil up and
was deciding whether or not to paint the rusted
chrome periscope parts black. I went to buy paint
and found Dupli-Color chrome spray paint. I decided
to give it a try, although I was skeptical. It
actully turned out quite good!

I went on to try it on rusted pin legs, and it looked
even better. Although bright real chrome is always
desirable, this is a decent substitute. Just
remember to clean, sand and prime first. I use
automotive scratch filling primer, then 320 grit
sandpaper. The legs came out smooth. A set on my
latest pinball project looks very respectable.
Not a bad solution for project pin legs at low cost.
Frankie
4 answers Last reply
More about chrome spray paint surprisingly good

    Frankie wrote:
    > I was just finishing my Midway Sea Devil up and
    > was deciding whether or not to paint the rusted
    > chrome periscope parts black. I went to buy paint
    > and found Dupli-Color chrome spray paint. I decided
    > to give it a try, although I was skeptical. It
    > actully turned out quite good!
    >
    > I went on to try it on rusted pin legs, and it looked
    > even better. Although bright real chrome is always
    > desirable, this is a decent substitute. Just
    > remember to clean, sand and prime first. I use
    > automotive scratch filling primer, then 320 grit
    > sandpaper. The legs came out smooth. A set on my
    > latest pinball project looks very respectable.
    > Not a bad solution for project pin legs at low cost.
    > Frankie

    Do you possibly have photos? I'd love to see how it came out.

    John

    John- I have to borrow a camera for pics. I will try to send you some
    pics of Sea Devil directly.
    Dan- I am not touting this as a general way of fixing collector
    pins. I paid $25 for a GTB Playball with totally rusted legs. The
    chrome paint on the legs really cleaned it up and it has been sold as a
    family fun machine. I restored a Hay Burners a few years back and had
    all the chrome replated. If a machine is a keeper, go with real chrome.
    For fun projects or pins you sell cheap, I think this is okay. I sold
    the Playball for $150. I also did a good job on the prep so the chrome
    paint won't fall off.
    Frankie

    Before I get asked how I replated all the chrome on Hayburners, It was
    actually Hayburners II. A very interesting game- wished I hadn't sold
    it. I think we all sell games we grow tired of, only to want them back
    later!
    Oh well, that's parts of the hobby.
    Frankie

    or a super auction special...
    :)
    Dan
    "Frankie" <jacksopen@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I was just finishing my Midway Sea Devil up and
    > was deciding whether or not to paint the rusted
    > chrome periscope parts black. I went to buy paint
    > and found Dupli-Color chrome spray paint. I decided
    > to give it a try, although I was skeptical. It
    > actully turned out quite good!
    >
    > I went on to try it on rusted pin legs, and it looked
    > even better. Although bright real chrome is always
    > desirable, this is a decent substitute. Just
    > remember to clean, sand and prime first. I use
    > automotive scratch filling primer, then 320 grit
    > sandpaper. The legs came out smooth. A set on my
    > latest pinball project looks very respectable.
    > Not a bad solution for project pin legs at low cost.
    > Frankie

Chrome Games Video Games