Chrome Spray Paint- Surprisingly good!

Frankie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2001

I was just finishing my Midway Sea Devil up and
was deciding whether or not to paint the rusted
chrome periscope parts black. I went to buy paint
and found Dupli-Color chrome spray paint. I decided
to give it a try, although I was skeptical. It
actully turned out quite good!

I went on to try it on rusted pin legs, and it looked
even better. Although bright real chrome is always
desirable, this is a decent substitute. Just
remember to clean, sand and prime first. I use
automotive scratch filling primer, then 320 grit
sandpaper. The legs came out smooth. A set on my
latest pinball project looks very respectable.
Not a bad solution for project pin legs at low cost.
Frankie

Frankie wrote:
> I was just finishing my Midway Sea Devil up and
> was deciding whether or not to paint the rusted
> chrome periscope parts black. I went to buy paint
> and found Dupli-Color chrome spray paint. I decided
> to give it a try, although I was skeptical. It
> actully turned out quite good!
>
> I went on to try it on rusted pin legs, and it looked
> even better. Although bright real chrome is always
> desirable, this is a decent substitute. Just
> remember to clean, sand and prime first. I use
> automotive scratch filling primer, then 320 grit
> sandpaper. The legs came out smooth. A set on my
> latest pinball project looks very respectable.
> Not a bad solution for project pin legs at low cost.
> Frankie

Do you possibly have photos? I'd love to see how it came out.

John

Frankie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2001

John- I have to borrow a camera for pics. I will try to send you some
pics of Sea Devil directly.
Dan- I am not touting this as a general way of fixing collector
pins. I paid $25 for a GTB Playball with totally rusted legs. The
chrome paint on the legs really cleaned it up and it has been sold as a
family fun machine. I restored a Hay Burners a few years back and had
all the chrome replated. If a machine is a keeper, go with real chrome.
For fun projects or pins you sell cheap, I think this is okay. I sold
the Playball for $150. I also did a good job on the prep so the chrome
paint won't fall off.
Frankie

Frankie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2001

Before I get asked how I replated all the chrome on Hayburners, It was
actually Hayburners II. A very interesting game- wished I hadn't sold
it. I think we all sell games we grow tired of, only to want them back
later!
Oh well, that's parts of the hobby.
Frankie

or a super auction special...