Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Email links open in IE, not Firefox

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 3:57:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have Firefox set as my default browser. SOMETIMES (not always), links in
Outlook Express open in IE, always incorrectly BTW. (IE gives a syntax error
message.) An example, takes from the source code of a recent email:

---snip---

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0132_01C5B392.4A90AE00
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable


http://home.twcny.rr.com/lyndale/Pentecost%2017A.htm
------=_NextPart_000_0132_01C5B392.4A90AE00
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2722" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV> </DIV><A=20
href=3D"http://home.twcny.rr.com/lyndale/Pentecost%2017A.htm">http://home=
..twcny.rr.com/lyndale/Pentecost%2017A.htm</A></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0132_01C5B392.4A90AE00--

---snip---

I have gone to Set Program Access and Defaults, and switched the default
browser to IE and back to Firefox.

I have gone into Explorer's File Types > Internet Shortcut > Advanced > Edit
"open" action and verified that this is the application used:

C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~2\FIREFOX.EXE -url "%1"

I have unchecked the "Use DDE" checkbox, exited, and verified that it has
been properly reset.

I have gone into the registry and deleted
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTTP\shell\open\ddeexec .

And I have rebooted, of course.

Nothing helps so far. What else can I do? Thanks.
September 7, 2005 3:57:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On 9/7/2005 8:57 AM On a whim, Charles Blaquière pounded out on the keyboard

> I have Firefox set as my default browser. SOMETIMES (not always), links in
> Outlook Express open in IE, always incorrectly BTW. (IE gives a syntax error
> message.) An example, takes from the source code of a recent email:
>
> ---snip---
>
> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0132_01C5B392.4A90AE00
> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>
>
> http://home.twcny.rr.com/lyndale/Pentecost%2017A.htm
> ------=_NextPart_000_0132_01C5B392.4A90AE00
> Content-Type: text/html;
> charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
> charset=3Diso-8859-1">
> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2722" name=3DGENERATOR>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV> </DIV><A=20
> href=3D"http://home.twcny.rr.com/lyndale/Pentecost%2017A.htm">http://home=
> .twcny.rr.com/lyndale/Pentecost%2017A.htm</A></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0132_01C5B392.4A90AE00--
>
> ---snip---
>
> I have gone to Set Program Access and Defaults, and switched the default
> browser to IE and back to Firefox.
>
> I have gone into Explorer's File Types > Internet Shortcut > Advanced > Edit
> "open" action and verified that this is the application used:
>
> C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~2\FIREFOX.EXE -url "%1"
>
> I have unchecked the "Use DDE" checkbox, exited, and verified that it has
> been properly reset.
>
> I have gone into the registry and deleted
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTTP\shell\open\ddeexec .
>
> And I have rebooted, of course.
>
> Nothing helps so far. What else can I do? Thanks.
>
>

Hi Charles,

Have you tried re-setting FF as the default browser?
1. Open FF, Tools, Options, General. Under Default Browser, uncheck it,
click OK and close FF.
2. Open IE, click Tools, Internet Options and click the Programs tab.
Uncheck "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default
browser". Click OK and close IE.

Repeat #1 except check the Default Browser box.

Give that a try and see if it doesn't fix it.


--
Terry

***Reply Note***
Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:53:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <#Rnc7u9sFHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
F1ComNOSPAM@pobox.com says...
[snip]
>
> Hi Charles,
>
> Have you tried re-setting FF as the default browser?
> 1. Open FF, Tools, Options, General. Under Default Browser, uncheck it,
> click OK and close FF.
> 2. Open IE, click Tools, Internet Options and click the Programs tab.
> Uncheck "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default
> browser". Click OK and close IE.
>
> Repeat #1 except check the Default Browser box.
>
> Give that a try and see if it doesn't fix it.

There is another method, you can use this, and it works for all
applications:

Open Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, select "Set Program Access
and Defaults", select CUSTOM and then click the double down arrows on
the far right, under "Choose a default web browser" select Mozilla
FireFox. DO NOT uncheck the ENABLE for IE - you need IE for updates at
MS sites. Click OK and follow till it closes.

This will set Windows to have ALL application use FireFox.


--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Related resources
September 7, 2005 10:53:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On 9/7/2005 11:53 AM On a whim, Leythos pounded out on the keyboard

> In article <#Rnc7u9sFHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
> F1ComNOSPAM@pobox.com says...
> [snip]
>> Hi Charles,
>>
>> Have you tried re-setting FF as the default browser?
>> 1. Open FF, Tools, Options, General. Under Default Browser, uncheck it,
>> click OK and close FF.
>> 2. Open IE, click Tools, Internet Options and click the Programs tab.
>> Uncheck "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default
>> browser". Click OK and close IE.
>>
>> Repeat #1 except check the Default Browser box.
>>
>> Give that a try and see if it doesn't fix it.
>
> There is another method, you can use this, and it works for all
> applications:
>
> Open Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, select "Set Program Access
> and Defaults", select CUSTOM and then click the double down arrows on
> the far right, under "Choose a default web browser" select Mozilla
> FireFox. DO NOT uncheck the ENABLE for IE - you need IE for updates at
> MS sites. Click OK and follow till it closes.
>
> This will set Windows to have ALL application use FireFox.
>
>

The reason I suggested the other way is that there have been reports in
the FF newsgroup where that didn't work. And sometimes the long
workaround fixed it.

--
Terry

***Reply Note***
Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 1:06:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <uVWMi9#sFHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, F1ComNOSPAM@pobox.com
says...
> On 9/7/2005 11:53 AM On a whim, Leythos pounded out on the keyboard
>
> > In article <#Rnc7u9sFHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
> > F1ComNOSPAM@pobox.com says...
> > [snip]
> >> Hi Charles,
> >>
> >> Have you tried re-setting FF as the default browser?
> >> 1. Open FF, Tools, Options, General. Under Default Browser, uncheck it,
> >> click OK and close FF.
> >> 2. Open IE, click Tools, Internet Options and click the Programs tab.
> >> Uncheck "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default
> >> browser". Click OK and close IE.
> >>
> >> Repeat #1 except check the Default Browser box.
> >>
> >> Give that a try and see if it doesn't fix it.
> >
> > There is another method, you can use this, and it works for all
> > applications:
> >
> > Open Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, select "Set Program Access
> > and Defaults", select CUSTOM and then click the double down arrows on
> > the far right, under "Choose a default web browser" select Mozilla
> > FireFox. DO NOT uncheck the ENABLE for IE - you need IE for updates at
> > MS sites. Click OK and follow till it closes.
> >
> > This will set Windows to have ALL application use FireFox.
> >
> >
>
> The reason I suggested the other way is that there have been reports in
> the FF newsgroup where that didn't work. And sometimes the long
> workaround fixed it.

We're cool, I've just seen several systems where only some applications
opened Links in FF instead of all applications.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:58:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Leythos wrote:

> Open Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, select "Set Program Access
> and Defaults", select CUSTOM and then click the double down arrows on
> the far right, under "Choose a default web browser" select Mozilla
> FireFox. DO NOT uncheck the ENABLE for IE - you need IE for updates at
> MS sites. Click OK and follow till it closes.
>
> This will set Windows to have ALL application use FireFox.


Sorry, I tried that already:

Charles wrote:

>> I have gone to Set Program Access and Defaults, and switched the default
>> browser to IE and back to Firefox.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:59:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Terry wrote:

> Have you tried re-setting FF as the default browser?
> 1. Open FF, Tools, Options, General. Under Default Browser, uncheck
> it, click OK and close FF.
> 2. Open IE, click Tools, Internet Options and click the Programs tab.
> Uncheck "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the
> default browser". Click OK and close IE.
>
> Repeat #1 except check the Default Browser box.
>
> Give that a try and see if it doesn't fix it.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help. Any other ideas?
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 9:49:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Post your query to a Firefox-specific newsgroup.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

Charles Blaquière wrote:
> I have Firefox set as my default browser. SOMETIMES (not always), links in
> Outlook Express open in IE, always incorrectly BTW.
September 8, 2005 10:05:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On 9/7/2005 8:59 PM On a whim, Charles Blaquière pounded out on the keyboard

> Terry wrote:
>
>> Have you tried re-setting FF as the default browser?
>> 1. Open FF, Tools, Options, General. Under Default Browser, uncheck
>> it, click OK and close FF.
>> 2. Open IE, click Tools, Internet Options and click the Programs tab.
>> Uncheck "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the
>> default browser". Click OK and close IE.
>>
>> Repeat #1 except check the Default Browser box.
>>
>> Give that a try and see if it doesn't fix it.
>
> Unfortunately, that doesn't help. Any other ideas?
>
>

Use Thunderbird for your mail client instead.

--
Terry

***Reply Note***
Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.
!