Problems booting from CD

I am trying to get rid of an installed XP Pro bootleg software and
reinstalling a new copy of Windows XP Pro. I cannot seem to get my computer
to boot from one of my CDs. The bios has ATPI CD as the primare boot witht
he hard drive secondary and the 3.5 drive as third. My TDK RW drive is master
and I have a Memorex as a slave. Is there another way to accomplish what I
need to do?
7 answers Last reply
More about problems booting

    In article <E04A45CA-ADB0-46A9-9C7D-F688168C0DC5@microsoft.com>,
    SkipBisconer@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > I am trying to get rid of an installed XP Pro bootleg software and
    > reinstalling a new copy of Windows XP Pro. I cannot seem to get my computer
    > to boot from one of my CDs. The bios has ATPI CD as the primare boot witht
    > he hard drive secondary and the 3.5 drive as third. My TDK RW drive is master
    > and I have a Memorex as a slave. Is there another way to accomplish what I
    > need to do?

    Most times the computer will display a line right after posting "press
    any key to boot from CD", if you don't press a key in X amount of time
    it will continue and boot from the next device.

    Do you see that?

    Does the new copy of XP Pro have the proper hologram on it? Meaning are
    you sure the new copy is legit/valid and is also bootable?

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    No that doesn't come up I get the Intel Logo then a blank cursor for a minute
    then boots right into windows.

    In article <9FE01099-D6E1-4F9E-89CB-1F447FCB8A00@microsoft.com>,
    SkipBisconer@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > No that doesn't come up I get the Intel Logo then a blank cursor for a minute
    > then boots right into windows.

    See if you can go into the BIOS and look for another place where it
    might have boot options - many of them have a BOOT tab, others have two
    places - where you specify boot order and then you have to specify
    another bootable drive.

    You might also disable the quick/quiet boot options so that you can see
    the POST.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    No other place to set boot sequence. I found on the Advance screen boot
    configuration but thats just a boolean question. I am wondering if I have to
    make my TDK slave and the Memorex Master ( this is a pain to do). What do you
    think?
    Can I just run setup in while in the old Windows and have it start from there?

    Skip Bisconer wrote:

    > No other place to set boot sequence. I found on the Advance screen
    > boot configuration but thats just a boolean question. I am wondering
    > if I have to make my TDK slave and the Memorex Master ( this is a pain
    > to do). What do you think?
    > Can I just run setup in while in the old Windows and have it start
    > from there?

    I'm sure you've tried this, but... put the XP cd in the other cd drive
    and see what happens.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Skip Bisconer wrote:
    > I am trying to get rid of an installed XP Pro bootleg software and
    > reinstalling a new copy of Windows XP Pro. I cannot seem to get my computer
    > to boot from one of my CDs. The bios has ATPI CD as the primare boot witht
    > he hard drive secondary and the 3.5 drive as third. My TDK RW drive is master
    > and I have a Memorex as a slave. Is there another way to accomplish what I
    > need to do?
    Hi Skip
    Check out Smart Boot Manager
    It will boot from a floppy and allow you to chose a CDRom to boot to
    among other things.(good for old bio's that don't have the boot to cd
    option)
    http://btmgr.webframe.org/
    Also you might run a disk cleaner on the cdrom drive

    Thanks for all your help. What eventually worked was I remove the case and
    unplugged the TDK RW (the master drive) which left the Memorex CD and then I
    was able to get the "Press any key to boot from a CD". Did a repair install
    with my new software and everything went great.

    "Badger" wrote:

    > Skip Bisconer wrote:
    > > I am trying to get rid of an installed XP Pro bootleg software and
    > > reinstalling a new copy of Windows XP Pro. I cannot seem to get my computer
    > > to boot from one of my CDs. The bios has ATPI CD as the primare boot witht
    > > he hard drive secondary and the 3.5 drive as third. My TDK RW drive is master
    > > and I have a Memorex as a slave. Is there another way to accomplish what I
    > > need to do?
    > Hi Skip
    > Check out Smart Boot Manager
    > It will boot from a floppy and allow you to chose a CDRom to boot to
    > among other things.(good for old bio's that don't have the boot to cd
    > option)
    > http://btmgr.webframe.org/
    > Also you might run a disk cleaner on the cdrom drive

CD-Rom Windows XP