Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problems booting from CD

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 2:14:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am trying to get rid of an installed XP Pro bootleg software and
reinstalling a new copy of Windows XP Pro. I cannot seem to get my computer
to boot from one of my CDs. The bios has ATPI CD as the primare boot witht
he hard drive secondary and the 3.5 drive as third. My TDK RW drive is master
and I have a Memorex as a slave. Is there another way to accomplish what I
need to do?

More about : problems booting

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 9:27:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <E04A45CA-ADB0-46A9-9C7D-F688168C0DC5@microsoft.com>,
SkipBisconer@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I am trying to get rid of an installed XP Pro bootleg software and
> reinstalling a new copy of Windows XP Pro. I cannot seem to get my computer
> to boot from one of my CDs. The bios has ATPI CD as the primare boot witht
> he hard drive secondary and the 3.5 drive as third. My TDK RW drive is master
> and I have a Memorex as a slave. Is there another way to accomplish what I
> need to do?

Most times the computer will display a line right after posting "press
any key to boot from CD", if you don't press a key in X amount of time
it will continue and boot from the next device.

Do you see that?

Does the new copy of XP Pro have the proper hologram on it? Meaning are
you sure the new copy is legit/valid and is also bootable?

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 9:27:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

No that doesn't come up I get the Intel Logo then a blank cursor for a minute
then boots right into windows.

"Leythos" wrote:

> In article <E04A45CA-ADB0-46A9-9C7D-F688168C0DC5@microsoft.com>,
> SkipBisconer@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > I am trying to get rid of an installed XP Pro bootleg software and
> > reinstalling a new copy of Windows XP Pro. I cannot seem to get my computer
> > to boot from one of my CDs. The bios has ATPI CD as the primare boot witht
> > he hard drive secondary and the 3.5 drive as third. My TDK RW drive is master
> > and I have a Memorex as a slave. Is there another way to accomplish what I
> > need to do?
>
> Most times the computer will display a line right after posting "press
> any key to boot from CD", if you don't press a key in X amount of time
> it will continue and boot from the next device.
>
> Do you see that?
>
> Does the new copy of XP Pro have the proper hologram on it? Meaning are
> you sure the new copy is legit/valid and is also bootable?
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:09:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <9FE01099-D6E1-4F9E-89CB-1F447FCB8A00@microsoft.com>,
SkipBisconer@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> No that doesn't come up I get the Intel Logo then a blank cursor for a minute
> then boots right into windows.

See if you can go into the BIOS and look for another place where it
might have boot options - many of them have a BOOT tab, others have two
places - where you specify boot order and then you have to specify
another bootable drive.

You might also disable the quick/quiet boot options so that you can see
the POST.


--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:09:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

No other place to set boot sequence. I found on the Advance screen boot
configuration but thats just a boolean question. I am wondering if I have to
make my TDK slave and the Memorex Master ( this is a pain to do). What do you
think?
Can I just run setup in while in the old Windows and have it start from there?

"Leythos" wrote:

> In article <9FE01099-D6E1-4F9E-89CB-1F447FCB8A00@microsoft.com>,
> SkipBisconer@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > No that doesn't come up I get the Intel Logo then a blank cursor for a minute
> > then boots right into windows.
>
> See if you can go into the BIOS and look for another place where it
> might have boot options - many of them have a BOOT tab, others have two
> places - where you specify boot order and then you have to specify
> another bootable drive.
>
> You might also disable the quick/quiet boot options so that you can see
> the POST.
>
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
>
September 7, 2005 10:09:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Skip Bisconer wrote:

> No other place to set boot sequence. I found on the Advance screen
> boot configuration but thats just a boolean question. I am wondering
> if I have to make my TDK slave and the Memorex Master ( this is a pain
> to do). What do you think?
> Can I just run setup in while in the old Windows and have it start
> from there?
>

I'm sure you've tried this, but... put the XP cd in the other cd drive
and see what happens.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
September 8, 2005 12:41:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Skip Bisconer wrote:
> I am trying to get rid of an installed XP Pro bootleg software and
> reinstalling a new copy of Windows XP Pro. I cannot seem to get my computer
> to boot from one of my CDs. The bios has ATPI CD as the primare boot witht
> he hard drive secondary and the 3.5 drive as third. My TDK RW drive is master
> and I have a Memorex as a slave. Is there another way to accomplish what I
> need to do?
Hi Skip
Check out Smart Boot Manager
It will boot from a floppy and allow you to chose a CDRom to boot to
among other things.(good for old bio's that don't have the boot to cd
option)
http://btmgr.webframe.org/
Also you might run a disk cleaner on the cdrom drive
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 12:33:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for all your help. What eventually worked was I remove the case and
unplugged the TDK RW (the master drive) which left the Memorex CD and then I
was able to get the "Press any key to boot from a CD". Did a repair install
with my new software and everything went great.

"Badger" wrote:

> Skip Bisconer wrote:
> > I am trying to get rid of an installed XP Pro bootleg software and
> > reinstalling a new copy of Windows XP Pro. I cannot seem to get my computer
> > to boot from one of my CDs. The bios has ATPI CD as the primare boot witht
> > he hard drive secondary and the 3.5 drive as third. My TDK RW drive is master
> > and I have a Memorex as a slave. Is there another way to accomplish what I
> > need to do?
> Hi Skip
> Check out Smart Boot Manager
> It will boot from a floppy and allow you to chose a CDRom to boot to
> among other things.(good for old bio's that don't have the boot to cd
> option)
> http://btmgr.webframe.org/
> Also you might run a disk cleaner on the cdrom drive
>
!