Celeron/P4 performance

jorr

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2004
I used to have a 1.6GHz Pentium. I also have a Geforce 4 Ti 4600.

Now, a while back I had a power supply problem and the motherboard, processor and video card were fried.

I bought a new motherboard and processor, the motherboard is a much better model than I previously had, it's an MSI 875P Neo. I was a bit short on cash though and bought a Celeron 2.4GHz processor, hoping the increase in speed would help make up for it being a celeron.

The video card was still under warranty and was replaced.

But things are running MUCH worse than they were before. For example in a game where I previously could get 40-60 fps I now get 10-20 (maybe 30 if I look at the floor or something :))

Is this simply because it's a celeron processor? If I replace it with, say, a 1.8 GHz Pentium 4 will I see a marked improvement? Or is the video card that was replaced perhaps faulty? I have installed all the most recent drivers for video card and motherboard.

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
i don't believe the impact on performance in games that large is responsible by the celeron itself. Some games are more cpu intensive, and some are gpu intensive. however, most modern DX8 games will run fine with processors at 2+ghz. the amount of fps loss in your games because the 2.4ghz celeron is very unlikely. i think the main problem lies elsewhere, and the celeron is not largely responsible for the loss in performance. i am aware that Celerons have less cache than the P4, so there for it's slower than the P4s clock for clock. Celerons are designed for office tasks and not gaming. a 1.8ghz P4 should be faster than the celeron in gaming becuase of it's larger cache size.

endyen

Splendid
It's the cellery, but please, with such a highend mobo, get at least a 2.4 gig cpu and dont bother with an A or B core. They would just be a waste of money. You have an 800 fsb board, dont be afraid to use it.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
but 2.4 is bigger than 1.6!

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
dhlucke - "Phew...ok my wrists are hurting. I'm taking a break."

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
It's the Celeron .. worst CPU ever! If you find this hard to believe, click <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927" target="_new">here</A>.

As others suggested, spend the few extra dollars and get at least a 2.4c. Anything below that, will be a total waste of your current motherboard.

<b>Well, AMD is 3 letters while INTEL is 5 letters. Also, AMD starts with an A but INTEL starts with an I. And finally, their last difference is that AMD ends with a D, while INTEL ends with an L.</b>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I think the general consensus is that a P4 Celery performs ~60% of a same-clock P4. So on that reasoning you shouldn't be suffering >50% <i>drop</i> in performance. I agree That getting a P4 would be a good thing to do, but I suspect your problem is that when you swapped your motherboard you didn't install all the new mobo drivers properly. When changing a motherboard (for whatever reason) It's generally good practice to (at the very least) re-install windows, and better still to just take the opportunity to completely re-format and re-install everything, for a nice 'clean' start.

Did you install all the new mobo drivers?

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
You are probably right :p I admit that I am as biased as it gets against Celerons :)

<b>Well, AMD is 3 letters while INTEL is 5 letters. Also, AMD starts with an A but INTEL starts with an I. And finally, their last difference is that AMD ends with a D, while INTEL ends with an L.</b>

jorr

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2004
Yes, I did a complete reinstall of windows XP. I am also seeing the same performance (slightly better) in the native linux version of the same game.

As stated in my initial post, all motherboard and video card drivers are the latest versions.

I have arranged for the use of a friends GeForce 4 MX, i'll try that out and see if there is some kind of problem with the video card.